Moving within Chonburi

Na Fan

Hi all

I'll be moving to a new place next month and was wondering about transporting of the furniture, etc.

1) Any recommendations on companies to use? Experiences, good or bad?

I've previously moved from overseas with a container full of stuff, and all of the stuff made it unharmed to Bangkok. Moved from Bangkok to Chonburi with some semi-professionals, and lots of stuff was damaged. Naturally, I'd like to avoid that this time around.

2) What is the range of cost I'd be looking at? The new place is a 2-bedroom house, and I have full furniture for the living room and two bedrooms (one of which being a home-office type of room, so it's more furniture than just a bed or two). Distance is about 60km, 1-hour drive on mostly motorways.

3) Should the transporting company offer insurance or is that something I'd have to get myself? Roads are extremely bumpy around here so the chances are real that something will get a scratch or two.

4) Perhaps worthy of an entirely different topic - but banks around here use a concept of a "local" branch. And I've repeatedly ran into problems trying to do something at a different branch. Can that "home" branch be moved? I'm aware I can ask in the bank, but the ever-present-first-answer of "mai dai" doesn't help :) If anyone has done this before and can advise on the proper procedure before I walk in there, I'd appreciate that! It concerns both private and corporate bank accounts with SCB.

5) My company will be moving with me. I'm aware that I have to make a change of location at the DBD and I believe also the tax office? It's intra-province, so I suspect this shouldn't be too hard? I've heard of the fees for this being in the range of 20'000 Baht. Is that really the case? Seems very high to me.

6) Some of the contracts we have here (1 mobile phone, and the internet access from TrueOnline) are in my ex-gf's name. She's not too keen on contributing to get those addresses changed. I suspect I won't be able to. Any ways around that? I'd prefer to be able to at least cancel everything, so that she won't be burdened with a constantly accumulating debt (which is a concept that's foreign to her mindset).

7) Forwarding of mail for a couple months or so - does that concept exist here? Cost? Experiences?

8) Do I also need to notify immigration, or only if I move to a different province?

That's what's on my mind at this point. If anyone has any other pitfalls or catches, I'd appreciate to hear it :)

Cheers

Na Fan

I have used JVK Movers in the past without issues. A 6 wheel truck from Bangkok to Pattaya was under 20k I think. Very professional company. Nothing was damaged and everything was handled with care.

They are located in Bangkok but quite sure they will come out and help you move in Chon Buri.

6) Can backfire for her and you. If she won't cancel it the bill just goes higher and higher every month. If she ever wants to apply for another True contract, they'll tell her to pay the old bill first and all hell will break loose for you.

7) Forget about it ;)

8) You don't have to - your landlord has to but most likely wont.

Edited by PomRakBKK