Bill Gates on Thailand's hanging internet and hanging wires

webfact

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thrilled to see a global figure call out the issues here. Regarding power outages being (worse than) regular..., also spot on. Instead of worrying about keeping tourists happy, focus on basic infrastructure and services, which is really the best path to lift the tourism industry anyway.

Wish he'd have talked about the outright lies and misleading ads on internet services. There's no law requiring truth in advertising here. None.

"Others just poked fun at the American billionaire saying that the Thai electrical systems worked as well as his Windows 10 operating system."

ROTFLMAO

If Thai electrical systems are working as well as ANY version of Windows, Thailand would be in huge problems.

Fact is that it is not difficult to make anything work better as Windows.

Even for a Thai.

That's not even remotely true. I'm usung Windows 10 on all my PCs and it is very stable. Same with XP and 7, they were very reliable. You want to hate Windows so you make up some shit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I worked for Bell Canada for 36 years, so when I see the wiring in Thailand or India it scares me because there is no rules here

in Canada telephone wires and Electrical wires have to be a minimum of 1 meter apart, if an installer does not install his wire the right way

you can be sure they will return him to place it the proper way,

They are uneducated and unaware of the dangers !!!

Did you get a lot of crap from Sympatico users? tongue.png

Being very boring, I keep track of how often the power goes off in our village.

Just checked my extensive records! In the past two years we've had twenty-two power outages, ranging from ten minutes to nine hours.

Holy bat crap.... Where I'm at in rawai, we would have had 22 power cuts in the last two weeks!

Admittedly, none would have been for more than an hour... But still....

A

Is that specificially due to the weather, or is it regular occurance?

Weather.... Less regularly otherwise.... But still at a higher rate than you seem to be experiencing, unfortunately.... In and out for a minute or two , which doesn't really register on my frustration meter, is common

I pity the countries "electricians".... No way would I play with wiring here

Mr. Gates claim could and most probably is well founded, the sheer volume of power wastage, as a result of excessive cabling is the tip of the ice-burg in his claim through power loss alone - extremely ineffective systems. As a telecommunications engineer from Australia originally, it isn't rocket since to understand that each and every cable requires transmission equipment (power) at each end of the system. There are far more effective ways to transmit data, starting with fibre, I suggest any other individual who wishes to connect too true broadband; try: and see if your communications provider, gives any answers or even replies; (perhaps CAT or 3BB would be a start). A facetious question certainly, they requested 10,700B for 1.25Km estimate 'for what' fibre strand - which would allow every premise between the node and my home connection also. I did explain my former role, prior to my request. Fibre optic strand is cheap like cents/meter cheap, so the question should be raised why would I pay for extension to their hardline system for further connections? Answer is simple GREED.

Tapping into power I've seen first hand - it does happen and is easily connected. The authorities may have some technology to police this but it's doubtful, and an underhanded payment, would surly cause blindness in this area of expertise. Power outages are negligible where I live, so cannot comment about this issue - systems seem reasonably good, perhaps wasteful (poor conductors, poor shielding), only the providers know that.

We as westerners are not looking down on Thai folk, many of which I find very pleasant people and consider some as true friends - but greed is not a justifiable excuse for covering up facts, especially from a man of such credible standing in the tech world.

These systems are simply poorly installed and poorly managed, with 0 project management of these whole systems. Limited education/trainning to installers as well as design teams (if any exist) is definitely a contributing factor - but Thais will not ask as it (in their opinion) causes loss of face because they don't know, simply reaching out to countries of more advanced infrastructure is not stupid but prudent. To excel the countries systems over time. The only one looking foolish in this case is Thailand.

In the US power cuts following wind storms are quite common because the power lines are above ground. Compare with Germany where all the lines are buried and power cuts are apparently unknown. This is what happens when a rich country decides to neglect its common commitment to infrasctructure of which the power lines are only one example among many.

Yes there are often power cuts after winter storm or high winds but that does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that the electrical infrastructure is bad. You might want to look at the distances involved in the electrical grid of the USA vs. Germany. It would be impossible to bury all the electrical transmission in the USA. While the politicians of both strips may use decaying infrastructure as a political football, for the most part things work pretty well in the USA. For the size of the country, I would put the USA up against just about anywhere as far as to the general safety of structures. Sure there will always be new airports and rail systems that are better but in general I would still take the roads, electrical, gas, water and sewage treatment systems, in the USA over just about anywhere. Just about everywhere I go in Asia, one sees poor quality workmanship in general and lack of maintenance in particular. In most of the structures in Asia (outside of Japan and So. Korea) I certainly have reason to question the amount of cement vs sand in most concrete as it is certainly evident from the decomposition in many cases after about 10 years. Not sure the quality of the steel rebar is much better either. Most small buildings in SEA would not pass inspection in the USA.. So say what you will, and certainly nothing is perfect here, but I'll take the infrastructure and standards of the USA any day.

He's part right......even though the tangle is fibre and copper for internet and phone...it's a mess!....

Thailand' infrastructure for these common utilities is so far behind the times, a modernisation program would take years and be likely cost prohibitive........

Unfortunately, the Thais never listened to the international community and have bumbled along with this ridiculous mess!

Ignorance is bliss

Problem is, like Australia's proposal now they do fibre to the node then twisted pair there after, oh dear = they don't listen or think (simple equipment change gives a further 5-35Mb/s), although I have seen a Co-ax tap in the soi (who's equipment is anyones guess)

I don't think the whole 'tangled wires' issue is clear cut. It's different issues in different parts of the country and for different consumers. I live just outside Bangkok in Samut Prakarn and can clearly see (in the distance) steel pylons for overhead electricity cables, just as you'd find in the UK or US. Nothing wrong there. On the street outside, there are neatly spaced and ordered cables at the top of the concrete pillars. These also seem fine, as you'd see back home. The issue seems to be lower down on these pillars, there you do get the tangled wires, and also on wooden posts. In my condo, I rarely experience power cuts, maybe once or twice per year. I think there are ordered cables taking power the internet to paying customers and obviously a subset of cables used for other homes.

"Surasi Maawai said: "Sure I hate those wires. But there are not many power cuts. And people in Thailand don't steal electricity as he says. Don't look down at the Thai people." - Others just poked fun at the American billionaire saying that the Thai electrical systems worked as well as his Windows 10 operating system."

Khun Surasai's response says it all. "Don't look down on Thai people" that obsession that someone, somewhere is saying bad things about Thai people, or disrespecting Thailand. Oh My!. Bill Gates said nothing of the sort.

Stealing power, I have had free cable for 7 years because my landlord spliced a feed cable, heh. As for the Thai electrical system and Windows 10. Not fond of it but as far as I know Windows 10 has not killed anyone, whereas I know of two westerners who have been electrocuted by faulty wiring

How about this: I stupidly kept all my wifes old medical records on Windows 10 excell. When my wife ended up in hospital. They urgently wanted some previous records of her heart operation. I could not open the files. They were in a different format not recognized by win 10!!! I feel like suing Bill Gates

Not too far from where I live there are these corrugated metal shacks with the doors only just hanging on by their hinges but yet they have TV. I can see where they have just tapped into the electric supply, I just wonder who is footing their bill.

"Surasi Maawai said: "Sure I hate those wires. But there are not many power cuts. And people in Thailand don't steal electricity as he says. Don't look down at the Thai people." - Others just poked fun at the American billionaire saying that the Thai electrical systems worked as well as his Windows 10 operating system."

Khun Surasai's response says it all. "Don't look down on Thai people" that obsession that someone, somewhere is saying bad things about Thai people, or disrespecting Thailand. Oh My!. Bill Gates said nothing of the sort.

Stealing power, I have had free cable for 7 years because my landlord spliced a feed cable, heh. As for the Thai electrical system and Windows 10. Not fond of it but as far as I know Windows 10 has not killed anyone, whereas I know of two westerners who have been electrocuted by faulty wiring

How about this: I stupidly kept all my wifes old medical records on Windows 10 excell. When my wife ended up in hospital. They urgently wanted some previous records of her heart operation. I could not open the files. They were in a different format not recognized by win 10!!! I feel like suing Bill Gates

Should be a freeware Excel file viewer out there somewhere, though I agree it shouldn't need to be necessary.

Winnie

Being very boring, I keep track of how often the power goes off in our village.

Just checked my extensive records! In the past two years we've had twenty-two power outages, ranging from ten minutes to nine hours.

Ten minutes the shortest, really?

We often get the 0.5s power cut, appliances and light bulbs really love that.

You might want to look into a UPS for those utilities that can attach to it

Come on, seriously? Excel files are standard and the latest version of Office will open any of them no matter how old or new they are. LibreOffice, entirely open source and free can open any Excel file as well. There are dozens of free readers for Excel files. You can even view them online. https://sheet.zoho.com/sheet/excelviewer

Edited by cmth

In the US power cuts following wind storms are quite common because the power lines are above ground. Compare with Germany where all the lines are buried and power cuts are apparently unknown. This is what happens when a rich country decides to neglect its common commitment to infrasctructure of which the power lines are only one example among many.

Yes there are often power cuts after winter storm or high winds but that does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that the electrical infrastructure is bad. You might want to look at the distances involved in the electrical grid of the USA vs. Germany. It would be impossible to bury all the electrical transmission in the USA. While the politicians of both strips may use decaying infrastructure as a political football, for the most part things work pretty well in the USA. For the size of the country, I would put the USA up against just about anywhere as far as to the general safety of structures. Sure there will always be new airports and rail systems that are better but in general I would still take the roads, electrical, gas, water and sewage treatment systems, in the USA over just about anywhere. Just about everywhere I go in Asia, one sees poor quality workmanship in general and lack of maintenance in particular. In most of the structures in Asia (outside of Japan and So. Korea) I certainly have reason to question the amount of cement vs sand in most concrete as it is certainly evident from the decomposition in many cases after about 10 years. Not sure the quality of the steel rebar is much better either. Most small buildings in SEA would not pass inspection in the USA.. So say what you will, and certainly nothing is perfect here, but I'll take the infrastructure and standards of the USA any day.

After having made 15 trips to Thailand and the Philippines I couldn't agree with you more.

"Embarassing isn't it? What a mess. There are no standards and there is no improvement. Even in new housing projects the electrical systems are just the same."

What a load of crock, I live in a complex where all cable are underground, so it can be done.

BUT I also know that companies like 3BB for an example, refuse to connect houses with up to date services purely because the lines run underground.

Thailand in general just do not want to go to any trouble to keep up to date where it counts. Even going to the extent of tearing up roads to beautify streets, placing fancy but UGLY new street lights in and then re running all the cables above ground again.

What is up with that, someone please explain this mentality to me.

9,000,000,000,000 could have rebuilt every bridge in usa n the river khwai one to boot.

cheesy.gif True to form! Mr Gates could afford to restructure the entire Thai electrical grid system in 1 week but instead he scoffs at the infrastructure of a developing country.

Much of the spaghetti cables that are very apparent are actually redundant. New installaations are the contract.Removing the old is not included.

Comparing that to Windows updates which prior to W 10 were at the expense of connection time of the user and were/are ceaseless and are apparently in the main to offset insecurities( or install survailance measures at the behest of....? ).

Look to your Homeland Mister Gates.bah.gif

The Germans...apparently....still good at burying things.

Edited by soistalker

In the US power cuts following wind storms are quite common because the power lines are above ground. Compare with Germany where all the lines are buried and power cuts are apparently unknown. This is what happens when a rich country decides to neglect its common commitment to infrastructure of which the power lines are only one example among many.

Germany is both relatively small and quite wealthy. Both are relevant factors when "A new 138 kV overhead line costs approximately $390,000
The only relevant factor is that Germans accept a far higher tax rate and that tax revenue is reinvested in infrastructure.

The Gate's homestead is near many communities that suffer annual, and extended, electrical outages due to windstorms toppling trees on to power lines, outages that often last for days.

And I am gobsmacked that Gates notices anything about Thailand other than the health related issues brought to his attention by a Gates Foundation director who has long maintained a residence in Bangkok. Thailand is not exactly the type of place that he or his peers come for vacation.

Seems a completely reasonable assessment of the electrical and technological infrastructure of Thailand. Living with it day to day one tends to ignore and adapt to the shortcomings. So it's useful when someone credible reminds expats and Thais that standards here are low. Of course fixing it costs money and that is something that is not going to happen at the rates users pay. Aside from which, nobody has a vision for the future of this country that would involve investment in technology and infrastructure. As for theft of cable signals and electric off the grid, that is old news for us but perhaps new news for those in the US. Thais tend to react too defensively when their shortcomings are exposed. They would be better served by embraceing the shortcomings so they can start to deal with them.