Azithromycin and water

bubba1

Was given Azithromycin/zithromax for 5 days by a doctor.He mentioned I need to drink a lot of water or it can lead to kidney failure. Google didn't return anything on this. Wonder what he was talking about? He said I could die if I don't drink enough water.

When I was advised to take Azithromycin at a local clinic the Doctor casually mentioned being sure to drink enough water but made no dire statements as to consequences such as kidney failure. He did specify to always take it in conjunction with a meal and to avoid prolonged direct sunlight, especially around mid-day.

When I was advised to take Azithromycin at a local clinic the Doctor casually mentioned being sure to drink enough water but made no dire statements as to consequences such as kidney failure. He did specify to always take it in conjunction with a meal and to avoid prolonged direct sunlight, especially around mid-day.

Was a bit shocked to hear it myself

Water is always good when youre taking medication for gonorrea or chlamydia....helps flush the kidneys and keeps the plumbing going.

Ive never read the water intructions on the pamphlet inside the tablet pack.

Anyway the normal dose of zithromax is 4tabs taken at once....just drink a bit of water .... Not drinking water wont kill you but a few glasses can only help.

There are a few - very few - cases reported in the literature of kidney disease apparently associated with azithromycin. These are literally just a handful of cases out of millions of patients. There is no reason to think that the amount of water drunk makes a difference and increased water consumption is not recommended. In any event the risk is infinitesimally low. Sounds like your doctor either does not have an understanding of magnitude of risk, or just wanted to show off his knowledge of side effects. Personally, in either case, I'd change doctors.

seems to be more liver metabolization Pharmacology .

Metabolism: liver; CYP450: unknown

Excretion: bile primarily (>50% unchanged), urine (6% unchanged); Half-life: 68h; Info: extensive uptake and eventual release from tissues

Subclass: Macrolides

Zithromax azithromycin

Adverse Reactions . Serious Reactions
  • angioedema
  • anaphylaxis
  • cholestatic jaundice
  • hepatotoxicity
  • pancreatitis
  • Stevens-Johnson syndrome
  • toxic epidermal necrolysis
  • drug rxn w/ eosinophilia and systemic sx
  • C. difficile-assoc. diarrhea