Buying a car on finance

Never heard of variable rate on a car loan in Thailand, they only do fixed here. Was 2.49% p/a over 48months. As with all Thai car loans the interest is combined at the full loan value over the 4 year period, so the real interest rate is 9.96%. They do accept early repayment with a 50% reduction of remaining interest. Btw different cars have different rates and I could not find one lender that would go lower than this rate for this car.

• Like 2

ChesneyHawkes, on 30 Jun 2016 - 15:49, said:

Never heard of variable rate on a car loan in Thailand, they only do fixed here. Was 2.49% p/a over 48months. As with all Thai car loans the interest is combined at the full loan value over the 4 year period, so the real interest rate is 9.96%. They do accept early repayment with a 50% reduction of remaining interest. Btw different cars have different rates and I could not find one lender that would go lower than this rate for this car.

interesting. If the rate of interest is 2,49% during the 4 years and you will pay the full sum to the bank at the end then the rate is still 2,49%..,Rate is defined as what you pay as a percentage of the loan per year !!

ChesneyHawkes, on 30 Jun 2016 - 15:49, said:

interesting. If the rate of interest is 2,49% during the 4 years and you will pay the full sum to the bank at the end then the rate is still 2,49%..,Rate is defined as what you pay as a percentage of the loan per year !!

2.49% p/a = per annum = per year.

Sorry if I'm not up to speed on Thai car prices or credit procedures.

Any information would be appreciated.

I assume the 25% is a downpayment.

Do you mind mentioning the car model and monthly payment amounts?

Thanks.

Thanks.

I purchased a Hilux 4x4 top model last year financed by Kiatnakin bank organized by the dealer. My interest is about 3% and my payment is 16525 as I paid half down due to my visa only being a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Kurt

Thanks.

Yes, 25% is the downpayment, this % is pretty standard though I have seen various brands requiring less and one or two even offering 0% down.

The % also varies by model not just brand. Tricky thing is when you book a car and it doesn't arrive until after the end of the promo. In this situation they usually won't honour the financing that was offered initially so you have to be careful. This is one reason why some people rush to buy at the big shows in Bangkok.

For me, I took the financing out on the new BMW X1 that was due out as a CKD this July/August, but I've recently heard I'll have to wait until September for it to arrive.

The price the car is 2.49m

Deposit @25% is 624,750

Monthly payments of 42,935 x 48months made up of 39k principal and 3.9k interest.

Edited by ChesneyHawkes
  • Like 1

There is a big difference between add-on interest and simple interest, as indicated in the OP's post. Then within simple interest compounding periods also make a difference.

When my wife was purchasing a car the interest that the person was quoting her was neither of the above. I ended up loaning her the money so they wouldn't take advantage of her on the loan.

Also, there is surely a reason the banks want the dealers to arrange the financing.

Try financing a new Car of a Retirement Pension

No work-permit no finance - it's that simple.

NOT true! I had no work permit and am on retirement visa.....and got finance pretty easily though I put down 50% deposit....

Since then Ive Toyota phoning me up to buy a new model ...cold calling me, so biz must be down !

• Like 1

NOT true! I had no work permit and am on retirement visa.....and got finance pretty easily though I put down 50% deposit....

Since then Ive Toyota phoning me up to buy a new model ...cold calling me, so biz must be down !

Oh and no Guarantor or Thai spouse either !!!!!

• Like 1

Oh and no Guarantor or Thai spouse either !!!!!

I have read of people getting finance this way, but don't know anyone personally who has done it this way.

My last car, a Vigo 4 dr was bought by me with no WP and no long term visa (which I had had 3 years previous). It is not what you know, but who you know. BTW, am now on a long term visa (again) with 3 x WP to those who are wanting to disagree! All depends on where you are and who you know IMO.

• 4 months later...

All above is fine with me, what I need to know is: I bought a new car some 3 years ago and paid for that Pajero Sport 824k baht cash.

I am married with a Thai lady, and now I need some 300  K baht for  the Visa (400.K ) married visa

Is it possible to get a loan on my car, The Missus say not for a foreigner, I am on a retirement visa here for some years but a bit short

of cash, Daughter is studying, PLS elaborate

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...