3BB Internet Speeds

eastendanto

Live about 50km from Udon and have had 3BB adsl for about 12 months. Last couple of weeks the speed has been atrocious when using phone to talk to people via Skype, Facetime etc.... get constant wheel turning on screen.

Apparently this is now a common "feature" for many people using 3BB in this area... anyone have any thoughts on this and why it has happened all of a sudden after working perfectly fine for the previous 11 odd months?

Cheers

Edited by eastendanto

Same problems in Korat. I went to the 3BB office as I keep seeing offers on my bills like 50Kps/10Kps for 700 baht. I thought not a bad deal as I now have 10Kps/.512Kps for 590 baht. They told me the only way to get the fast internet deals is to have a fiber optic cable in your neighborhood which I do not have. They said maybe in 2 more months I would have fiber optic. I asked what they could do for me now and they said they would send a technician out to my neighborhood and see if they could speed up my speed. I said how much and they said since I do not have a fiber optic cable they would do it for free. The technician called the next day and said he could get my speed up to 13Kps down and maybe 18 if my line could take it. Did a speed teat the next day and I am up to 13Kps/1.5Kps and my problems are gone. Just check with your 3BB office and see what you can get.

I too am Udon (but nearer the centre). When I was using 3BB I did what I've done with Cat/ToT/True etc and call them to tell them performance is nowhere near advertised. I'd get the sympathetic plastic apology, and a Tech guy would move an RJ45 from port number [random] to port number [another random] on a hub at the data centre in a bid to do manual load balancing (at least that's what I see in my mind). The result; Nice fast internet. For about a week. Then rinse and repeat.

@Elgordo38: I presume you're referring to a satellite uplink somewhere along the route(?). For anyone using Fibre optic link with poor performance, I dare you to call and record you asking them how cloud cover stops light in a Fibre Cable - stay composed, firm but pleasant, and don't giggle while recording. Then post it on here. I'd do it with my cable but I'm certain I'd fail miserably to maintain a serious tone, and a few 'Whiskey Tango Foxtrot's would inevitably leak out.

I can't explain how frustrating it was when I pointed to the cable here (co-ax) and the copper centre, and that Fibre uses light rather than electricity. I felt like I couldn't lash out as the engineer knew damn well what the difference was, and didn't want to teach grandma to suck eggs, but he had to nod/smile/wai etc. I do wonder what the convo was like once he was back in the truck talking to his support desk though. Still no Fibre (or Fibeeeer) despite all the promises. In my case it is "True" (anything but) who are saying that they can only do in the City centre after selling me the package. I can walk there in 8.5 minutes easy. Do they actually want me to rent a condo in Central Plaza instead?

Edited by Shiver

TOT the same here in southern Surin. Thunder storms - practically daily here now - tend to lead to power blackouts (lasting anything from 5 seconds to 2 hours) and/or to TOT going down completely for short periods.

Not just 3BB. I have AIS fibre in Udon and the last couple of months it has been declining - my PC frequently says 'DNS probe no internet' but the lights are all still on ....... then youreload and get it (eventually).

Thanks everyone for feedback.....in fact my SIL called out 3BB last week and service was great for a couple of days and then back to snailnet again..... rains may have some effect but not for continuous period experiencing this problem, so it's anyones guess as to the cause as it does not seem to be limited to 3BB but across over providers as well.....I'm sure the conspiracy theorists out there have a plausible explanation for Internet speed degradation...

TOT the same here in southern Surin. Thunder storms - practically daily here now - tend to lead to power blackouts (lasting anything from 5 seconds to 2 hours) and/or to TOT going down completely for short periods.

Hello mfd101 ,

Are you on fiber optic cable ? I am in your area and also have problems mainly when viewing through a subscribed ilikehdtv via an android box . I pay for 20mbps down & 7 up TOT fiber optic which is delivered and sometimes exceeded but for some reason the signal is never stable and causes buffering and drop outs , the signal graph looks like a picture of the himalayas .I have lost count with the amount of occasions I have contacted TOT . Other times the signal is stable .

Are there any hi-tech gurus out there who could explain why a constant stable signal on fiber optic is failing ?

Hello mfd101 ,

Are you on fiber optic cable ? I am in your area and also have problems mainly when viewing through a subscribed ilikehdtv via an android box . I pay for 20mbps down & 7 up TOT fiber optic which is delivered and sometimes exceeded but for some reason the signal is never stable and causes buffering and drop outs , the signal graph looks like a picture of the himalayas .I have lost count with the amount of occasions I have contacted TOT . Other times the signal is stable .

Are there any hi-tech gurus out there who could explain why a constant stable signal on fiber optic is failing ?

I just have a big aerial that, I gather, gathers signal from the whopping aerials in Ban Run 3 or 4 km away. I pay for 10Mbps down and never get more than 9, but mostly 2 or 3. Which is just adequate for my modest needs (I don't download films, for instance) but lately it's been often down in the sub-1 Mbps range which is practically useless. I at first thought it was happening during the late afternoon/early evenings when the kids are home from school & there's no doubt peak usage. But it does occur sometimes at other times of the day too. I just live with it - not much point in bothering the lovely TOT ladies in Prasat. Besides we'll be abandoning the family farm soon to live on the outskirts of Prasat - almost civilization! and I will be investigating fibre for there.

I had before 3BB 10/0,5 ADSL 2+ Modem Router , and 450 meter normal cable from 3BB Box.

Now I have 55/11 with same cabel but new VDSL 4 Port Wifi router (Huawei) and it cost only 1500 Bath.

Works very well and kost this 700 Bath + 7% tax.

Best regards

Eero from Chaiyaphum