Requirements for Thai wife visiting the UK.

I am British and am looking at the options of visas for my Thai wife to visit the UK.

I believe there are two options. 1. Tourist visa (max stay 6 months) 2. Long stay visa (potential for permanent stay).

I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know the basic requirements for either option.

If you and your wife just want to go to the UK for a holiday, then she should apply for a Standard Visit Visa, if you actually want to settle in the UK, then she should apply for a Settlement Visa.

For a visit visa she needs to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that her visit is genuine, affordable and that, on the balance of probabilities, she will return home at the conclusion of her visit. If you live together in Thailand the application should be pretty straightforward, if not, then not impossible but she will have to supply supporting evidence to prove what I've indicated. The application fee for a standard six month visit visa is US$132.

To live in the UK she would need to apply for a Settlement Visa, to do so you, as her sponsor would need to demonstrate an income of £18,600 or more, she would need to pass a simple English Test and undertake a medical test to confirm that she is clear of TB, she would also need to pay a NHS surcharge. The cost of the Settlement Visa application is US$1816, plus £500 for the NHS Surcharge, again payable in US$. The English test costs a tad under 12,000 Baht.

• Like 1

If you and your wife just want to go to the UK for a holiday, then she should apply for a Standard Visit Visa, if you actually want to settle in the UK, then she should apply for a Settlement Visa.

For a visit visa she needs to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that her visit is genuine, affordable and that, on the balance of probabilities, she will return home at the conclusion of her visit. If you live together in Thailand the application should be pretty straightforward, if not, then not impossible but she will have to supply supporting evidence to prove what I've indicated. The application fee for a standard six month visit visa is US$132.

To live in the UK she would need to apply for a Settlement Visa, to do so you, as her sponsor would need to demonstrate an income of £18,600 or more, she would need to pass a simple English Test and undertake a medical test to confirm that she is clear of TB, she would also need to pay a NHS surcharge. The cost of the Settlement Visa application is US$1816, plus £500 for the NHS Surcharge, again payable in US$. The English test costs a tad under 12,000 Baht.

Many thanks.

What financial proof is required for a visit visa? How much money is required in the bank and for how long?

"What financial proof is required for a visit visa? How much money is required in the bank and for how long?"

Don't think there's a definitive answer to that, it's not like you have to have b400k or so, you just have to show as noted above:

Proof of your relationship (ie. It's real)

Sufficient funds to pay for the trip

Proof to show reason why your wife will return.

You're just trying to prove to the visa officer your spouse will return to Thailand and won't be a burden during the visit to the uk.

If you're staying with family in the uk then it helps to get a letter from the person stating they are house owner, relationship to the uk visitor and that the visitor will be staying at their residence during the holiday.

• Like 1

The previous poster is spot on, there's no definitive answer, as he says you don't need to have a specific amount of cash in the bank to apply for a standard visit visa, the applicant just needs to satisfy the decision maker that the proposed trip is affordable.

Remember it's your wife's application and it's her that needs to satisfy the ECO that she ticks all the boxes.

Include a draft itinerary, that will give them some idea of the funds needed, if you are supporting your wife financially then you need to provide bank statements and the source of your income. If she works then provide details of her employment and evidence that her employers are content for the holiday. If you live together in Thailand then provide details of your joint ties here plus your immigration status.

I've attached the supporting evidence guidelines.

Visitor Supporting Documents Guide.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies/info.

1. Can a spouse in the UK as a visitor apply for a settlement visa while in the UK?
  2. If yes is the visa/permission to stay issued in the UK?
  3. The income requirement is £18,600, however, the GOV.UK website states that if the applicant has two children it's £24,800. Does this extra requirement apply if the children have dual Thai/British nationality?

34 minutes ago, bobrussell said:

1. No, a visit visa cannot be converted to settlement in the UK.

2. N/A

3. British or dual British nationality are exempt from the requirement.

Thanks for the reply Bob.

I am confused about point 1, probably due to my own ignorance of UK visas and terminology. According to the GOV.UK website someone already in the UK can apply to "remain in the UK with family" https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family if they are already in the UK. That would suggest that having entered with a Visitor Visa you can switch to a "family of a settled person" visa, which is what I am trying to ascertain.

You need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you want to stay (‘remain’) with a family member or partner (eg spouse) who’s living in the UK permanently and you’re:

You can apply if you’re eligible and you need to:

Your family member or partner can:

• be a British citizen
  • have settled in the UK
  • be your partner who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

Edited by elviajero

That would suggest that having entered with a Visitor Visa you can switch to a "family of a settled person" visa, which is what I am trying to ascertain.

No you can't. A visit visa is for a holiday or a family visit. A settlement visa is to move to the UK on a permanent basis but your wife has to return to Thailand to apply for it.

• Like 1

If someone is here on certain non-visit visas these may be eligible for conversion to a settlement visa. The obvious one is a visa obtained to marry (but not a marriage visitor visa) but student and work related visas may allow conversion.

https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/eligibility

particularly:

"You can apply to extend or switch in any of these routes if you’re eligible, except if you have permission to be in the UK:

• Like 1

to get a visit visa... they only come in 6 months. you need to show you can support her for 6 months. you need to show she has a house ,land , job , child to return to in Thailand NOT ALL BUT SOME OR 1 AT LEAST. ive personally experienced 2 refusals this month not to mention my own wife being refused twice. Unless you have the cash in her or your bank and something for her to retun to you are wasting your time IMHO. But all is not lost you can get a visa for sheangen or c type for ireland issued under the eea directive no bother. Once in Ireland you can apply ( which is easier) for a visa to UK..... 

Edited by r4d4

to get a visit visa... they only come in 6 months. you need to show you can support her for 6 months. you need to show she has a house ,land , job , child to return to in Thailand NOT ALL BUT SOME OR 1 AT LEAST. ive personally experienced 2 refusals this month not to mention my own wife being refused twice. Unless you have the cash in her or your bank and something for her to retun to you are wasting your time IMHO. But all is not lost you can get a visa for sheangen or c type for ireland issued under the eea directive no bother. Once in Ireland you can apply ( which is easier) for a visa to UK..... 

Sadly quite a bit of this is incorrect. Visit Visas come in various durations. 6 months, two years, five years and ten years. Last year they also offered a three year visa too that has been dropped as it was the same price of a two year VV.

You do not have to show you can support somebody for six months. Merely for the length of stay and if you apply for a six month stay for the first one it is unlikely to be granted. We initially applied for a month with no problems and the then GF stayed for 14 weeks. The next visa wasn't a problem as we explained why we extended the stay in the next visa application. A visit visa is not a replacement for a Settlement visa. You do have to show a reason to return and that is typically a job to return to. Kids are rarely a reason to return as so many Thai women work away from family to support their kids. Pumping money into your GF's bank account is not a good idea. The ECO will want to know where it came from. Having enough money for the duration of the stay is necessary whether it is for one month or two.

Good luck with a Schengen visa by the way. My guess is that the OP hasn't actually applied for one yet to come here.

If you have been refused a visit visa you must address the issues that the ECO sent in the refusal letter in the next application.

Edited by rasg

1st. When did you apply last. rasg ?. Because things have changed. You need to have the cash as i said. Is there a set amount ?. You need to have something to return to. I witnessed refusal on grounds of not enough cash to support her. She had 90,000 for a 3 week trip which all expenses was paid and a long job in thailand over 5 years to return to. Her cousin who she was staying with for the ( 3rd ) time showed over £20.000  in uk acc. She was Refused on 90.000 baht savings in tha acc was not enough and Maybe she not return. She been to uk 3 times already. Times have changed my friend

No they haven't changed that much. Two visit visas and a Settlement visa in less than a year and we had only known one another for four months. I would love to see the refusal notice.

Edited by rasg

I agree with rasg. The requirements have not changed significantly.

As long as the applicant can show reasons for the visit, that there is suitable accommodation, the visit is affordable and there are adequate reasons to return then a visa is more than possible.

The ECO will work on the balance of probabilities therefore will look at bank statements including anyone helping to pay for the trip. The longer the financial history the better the chances particularly if a relationship is involved.

Property in Thailand is helpful but the best evidence to return would be employment, regular income and permission to take the time off for the visit.

Even without employment it is possible to get a visa, plenty have.