Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Authentication for Maritime Security Awareness Training Course

One of the requirements for renewing my Panamaian Seaman's book is to submit a copy of a Maritime Safety Awareness Course (in compliance with STCW Table A-V1/6-1 or V1/6-2).

I have subscribed to a suitable online course ( http://www.videoteltraining.com/v2/catalogue/index.cfm?course=898 ) and completed the available material in preparation for the online test. However, in order to receive a valid certificate, I require to provide authentication from a Master or Chief Engineer (or possibly a local Maritime school/establishment).

2 docs require authentication:

- Final Test printout. I need to perform the online test with the authenticating person present.

- Completed "Record of Authentication" (which I will provide) to be signed by a Master, Chief Engineer of Senior representative of a registered maritime company/establishment.

Does anyone know where I could obtain such authentication or how to contact a suitable maritime establishment locally (i.e. in Thailand - I live in Jomthien).

cheers, Derek

• 3 weeks later...

I did my designated security awareness course when I was back in Scotland last October at Genesis in Peterhead, who have offices in Aberdeen as well as Peterhead, but as far as I'm aware they also provided the option to do this online, only required submission from me of passport and seamans book as record of sea service and capacity, so I'd guess that your Panamanian seamans book will suffice as proof, ,,,,,

ok edited to add I see what you're saying, you require an official present for the final test if done online,,,aha ok, I wasn't advised of that when they said I could do test online, maybe worth trying these guys at Genesis, although it's most likely as I chose to go to the training centre they didn't offer me all the information for doing it online

I know there are a few OIM's poking around here.. maybe you could entice one to supervise your testing with free beer.

My VI/6 Vessel Personnel with designated security duties had to be done in the USA to be added to my MMC.

Kurt

I did my designated security awareness course when I was back in Scotland last October at Genesis in Peterhead, who have offices in Aberdeen as well as Peterhead, but as far as I'm aware they also provided the option to do this online, only required submission from me of passport and seamans book as record of sea service and capacity, so I'd guess that your Panamanian seamans book will suffice as proof, ,,,,,

ok edited to add I see what you're saying, you require an official present for the final test if done online,,,aha ok, I wasn't advised of that when they said I could do test online, maybe worth trying these guys at Genesis, although it's most likely as I chose to go to the training centre they didn't offer me all the information for doing it online

MCA approved courses must have the testing done at one of the approved testing facilities.

Kurt

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Looks like I might be able to get authentication done on a ship I'll be visiting next week.

Whoever signs for you make sure you get a copy of the CoC to submit with the paperwork.

Kurt

Archived