password

overherebc

you need your old password to create a new one.

open up gmail in a browser, click sign in, enter your email address, click next, you will be asked to enter your password, there is a link below on the right hand side 'forgot password', click that and follow the instructions.

Also check your browser settings and search for password maybe it is also saved in there. You never know. wink.png

Good Luck

Edit: In Firefox it's located under - Tools - Options - Security

Edited by MJCM

You will be asked questions like:

- provide the last password you remember (provided that you ever changed it)

- when did you create your Gmail account

I know that the advice comes a bit late, but registering your mobile phone in your Google account is a fast and way to recover your password. Also, it allows you to use the extra safety of 2-factor authentication: a SMS is being sent with a code every time you log into your Gmail account for the first time in a given computer/browser. Great feature IMO.

A big Achille's heel to the cell phone verification for Gmail (and Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) is the aggressive way they close down your account when you are travelling. Log in from another country and, boom!, you are locked out for suspicious activity. Problem is that you are no longer in Thailand where you undoubtedly registered your local mobile phone number. Unless you have overseas roaming, there is no way to get the OTP that they will SMS to your Thai mobile number. FWIW, I have never been able to use TrueMove-H's roaming in the USA. In the True shop they say it's activated, and in the mobile phone app, it shows activated, but my phones never can connect to a USA provider.

A big Achille's heel to the cell phone verification for Gmail (and Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) is the aggressive way they close down your account when you are travelling. Log in from another country and, boom!, you are locked out for suspicious activity. Problem is that you are no longer in Thailand where you undoubtedly registered your local mobile phone number. Unless you have overseas roaming, there is no way to get the OTP that they will SMS to your Thai mobile number. FWIW, I have never been able to use TrueMove-H's roaming in the USA. In the True shop they say it's activated, and in the mobile phone app, it shows activated, but my phones never can connect to a USA provider.

Gmail (and you can use the same app for Hotmail) for example has an authentication app, which generates codes on your phone and doesn't need gsm / roaming connection (so offline). This app works for 2-step authentication without any problems abroad except if you lose your phone, but then you also have 10 backup codes (if you don't misplace them ;))

Edited by MJCM

MJCM, thanks for that. How/why is that info not obvious when I set up GMail/Hotmail authentication? (Rhetorical question)

In my spare time, I will pursue finding that authentication app. Recently, testing various locations for PureVPN, every time I check e-mail, it's a flurry of "Danger, Will Robinson!" lockouts on my GMail and Hotmail accounts.

To get the Codes for Google 2 step you can add several other methods

I now have these

1- Google Prompt (Via the Google App) on 2 Phones and 1 iPad (This method must be new and I have just added this) (works perfect via WIFI)

2- Authenticator App (on iPhone)

3- 2 Phone Numbers (Mine and my wife)

4- 10 Backup Codes

And if you want you can also add a Security Key, but that is only useful if you check your email via PC as it's a USB device.

post-10213-0-90052300-1467528796_thumb.j

Edited by MJCM

Here is it in Google play store (Android)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.authenticator2&hl=en

And here for iOS

https://appsto.re/us/fdakx.i

It's called Google Authenticator

Thanks! I'm changing from Android to iOS in the near future, so I'll just wait until I'm on iOS. (Waiting for MNP to AIS to complete -- it's been a bumpy road -- then purchase iPhone SE.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.authenticator2&hl=en

And here for iOS

Thanks! I'm changing from Android to iOS in the near future, so I'll just wait until I'm on iOS. (Waiting for MNP to AIS to complete -- it's been a bumpy road -- then purchase iPhone SE.)

Oke.

Please note, the Authenticator App has 1 Major Flaw (IMHO). Namely if you add it to Google or MS, you can add it to more then 1 phone but ONLY at the same time. So for example add it to your phone today and add it to your wife (or gf or bf) phone tomorrow, you CANNOT DO THAT as you have to start from scratch. You have to add them all in 1 go as you need to scan the same picture (which the website generates) on each phone.

That's why I like the Google prompt option very much. Can add as many phones or devices as you have and it's still secure and most of all it works with Wifi or 3/4G ;)

Google is way ahead on 2step with 5 options to receive keys, MS is trailing with 2(or 3) and Yahoo is last with 1 (or 2)

The (or .) is because you can receive SMS or Voice messages.

Edited by MJCM

And here for iOS

Oke.

Please note, the Authenticator App has 1 Major Flaw (IMHO). Namely if you add it to Google or MS, you can add it to more then 1 phone but ONLY at the same time.

Okay, probably because I haven't seen the Google Authenticator App in action yet, I'm getting confused. I can use it not only for Google's GMail, but also for MS Hotmail/Outlook?

Yep, the Google Authenticator works for many sites (MS, github etc etc) but not (yet) for Yahoo. So you have the same one app to generate the keys for 2 Step for both Gmail and MS (Outlook) and other sites.

Edit: And the Authenticator works for more then 1 account.

I have in mine Authenticator the following accounts

1x Gmail (mine)

1x Gmail (wife)

1x Gmail (BIL for Google Playstore)

1x Outlook (Mine)

1x Outlook (mine (spam account)

1x Github (source code)

Edited by MJCM

Yep, the Google Authenticator works for many sites (MS, github etc etc) but not (yet) for Yahoo. So you have the same one app to generate the keys for 2 Step for both Gmail and MS (Outlook) and other sites.

Edit: And the Authenticator works for more then 1 account.

I have in mine Authenticator the following accounts

1x Gmail (mine)

1x Gmail (wife)

1x Gmail (BIL for Google Playstore)

1x Outlook (Mine)

1x Outlook (mine (spam account)

1x Github (source code)

Have you seen this thread? Has Google Authenticator been replaced with Google Prompt?

I'm still mired down trying to MNP my phone number from True to AIS so I don't have my new phone yet so haven't tried using Google Authenticator or Google Prompt.

As other posters have explained, there are different ways around this: preassigned codes, Google Authenticator.

Another point is that you can register more than one mobile phone number.

I have both my European and Thai numbers registered, and I can have the codes sent to either.