Demise Google Authenticator, Hello Google Prompt

THAIPHUKET

Google introduces Google Prompt, a new kind of two step authentication

two step authentication called Google Prompt, which needs only a single click for users to be able to log into their Google account.

We certainly cannot complaint that our brains are insufficiently kept on alert by googleMicroswhoever ever- changing inventions of marketing names.

I guess, as usual I am late to the party but anyhow just in case you might have missed this too.

The PUSH OK instead of a sms code is a welcome change. My headache remains. Google has only my Thai phone No to which the PUSH OK will go.

Assuming I will travel abroad, change SIM card but forget to change the Authentication to that new number, am ?I stuck???

Edited by THAIPHUKET

Google Authenticator can also be used for other sites (MS, github etc) so I don't think that it is going to be abandoned anytime soon. Google prompt is a good way to authenticate but I can also see difficulties with it. For example you need to have Wifi/3G Access on your device for it to be able to authenticate you, and the Authenticator does not. AFAIK Authenticator works via Time Stamping, and that is why a code via this method is only valid 30 (not sure as I never timed it) seconds orso and when that time expired a new code is generated.

Google prompt has been set as default method (as soon as you configure it for your account) but you always have the option (when signing in) to receive codes another way (like via SMS/voice or via the "old" Authenticator or via a Secur Key etc).

But Google is definitely on the forefront of adding methods to receive and generate codes and thus keeping your account(s) save.

Edited by MJCM

@Thaiphuket

In the Google 2step configuration page, there is the backup codes option, generate these codes (keep them safe) and when you don't have access to any of the other methods (Google prompt, sms, Authenticator etc) you can use the backup codes.

And don't worry, you can generate more codes if you need them (but AFAIK only 10 at a time)

A post in German language has been removed as well as the replies. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

Apologies! I mistook the nickname as being a gentleman from Austria. Google Authenticator still exists but seems to be running parallel to PROMPT, at least for now.

Have you read post #4 ? Apparently not, more sites then just Google make use of the Google Authenticator (sites like MS, and Github etc) so I sincerely doubt that Google will retire Authenticator any time soon. Or you must have some inside information that we don't know about.

And just in case Google retires Authenticator, just use another app

Like (examples in the iOS store

https://appsto.re/nl/rFgDD.i

https://appsto.re/nl/LNCB5.i

Edit: And one more thing Google Prompt is not linked to your Phone Number, but linked to your device and Userid / password, so even if you change your Phone Number and you still have the App Installed on the same Phone and you have Internet you will receive Google Prompt. I have added Google Prompt to an iPad without cellular but only Wifi and it works.

Edited by MJCM