Pls share - current best free proxy servers

scorecard

Would appreciate some expert opinions re current best free proxy servers.

Have been using Hola for a couple of years but recently have to reload the whole thing every time.

Thanks.

By the way; does proxy and VPN mean the same thing?

You have to be very careful about free proxy servers. They are often set up for ill intentioned purposes. They can interfere in encrypted connections, steal passwords, attach malware or adware to anything you download, monitor where you go, what you do, sell the info to ad companies, etc.

Nothing is ever free. Proxy server hosts are charging someone for bandwidtH / usage and there are very few altruistic people that'll just pay this for your benefit.

You have to be very careful about free proxy servers. They are often set up for ill intentioned purposes. They can interfere in encrypted connections, steal passwords, attach malware or adware to anything you download, monitor where you go, what you do, sell the info to ad companies, etc.

Nothing is ever free. Proxy server hosts are charging someone for bandwidtH / usage and there are very few altruistic people that'll just pay this for your benefit.

Thanks for the valuable comments all round.

In my case it's only for basic surfing, nothing more, so I assume I need a VPN, is that correct?

So any suggestions (no guarantees expected) of non expensive legit providers.

Thanks.

You can get Zenmate Premium for 3 months if you share on VNK or Facebook,google it or go to giveawayradar.weebly.com,

they also have another 2 VPN on there for free.

Browsec on chrome browser,free OK, Hoxx VPN,free and pay, just got 1 year for $19,offer finished,lots servers all over the World.

I just use them for streaming from BBC iplayer,ITV,etc.

so for free check out Browsec and Hoxx .

regards Worgeordie

Nothing in this world is truly free :(

What are you trying to achieve?

To hide your location => a proxy may do the trick,

To maintain privacy (at least to a point) => a VPN is likely your solution,

To bypass government blocks => we cannot discuss that a VPN would also be a solution.

I use StrongVPN, at $1 a week it's pretty close to free without the issues that any "free" service may (or may not) have.

I second the motion that free proxy servers should be avoided.

You are using a proxy server in order to have some security/privacy. But many of the free ones are known to be harvesting your personal data as you use them ... So rather than gaining security/privacy .. your data is breached.

I pay about $50 per year for a VPN that has world wide servers ... I routinely connect my laptop using hotel wifi. Using a VPN provides another layer of security while using hotel wifi.

Archived