Current status of Jungceylon

phuketandsee

What does this look like to you Billy?

attachicon.gif1465447593_1-org (1).jpg

Difficult to comment as most of the main steel cannot be seen and the spacing of the links cannot be verified for compliance although i did notice that the links did not look like high tension steel (no ribs) and possibly less tha 10mm in diameter which would be a very serious cause for concern. Mild steel links should not be specified for main structural elements. The links form the cage to which the main steel is arranged and are an important part in the control of shear stress in both coulmns and beams. Concrete testing will also form an important component of any report concerning this type of structural callapse.

But doesn't it look like shear? I'm no expert but it looks like overloading with lateral shear.

Again, difficult to say without the full report to make further comment although it would seem there was enough axial strength left in the column to prevent total collapse. Another thing to consider would be to confirm whether the failed columns are part of a column to column grid (basement to ground to first floor, etc.) or are they just supporting a structural floor. If column to column the possibility of total collapse is a real and present danger. If supporting a structural floor, the failed columns may cause the loading to adjacent columns unable to support their designed loading and fail too – disproportional collapse. They may want to consider draining that water where the boat is moored to mitigate some of the loading in that area – a metre cube of water weighs a metric tonne.

A question for any of the incumbent inmates there who run a business; would a building such as JC have/legally require commercial buildings insurance inclusive of public liability?

Time to call the monks in.

Thanks Billy. Truly scary given the likelihood they are just trying to get away with minimum corrective work. I really hope I'm wrong but the silence is not encouraging.

I certainly wouldn't want to be there during the next earthquake.

I heard yesterday that the SCB called in their engineer and he advised all the banks in the basement to close down. I also understand the Phuket Provincial engineer has refused to sign off on the remedial work. All hearsay of course but sounds believable.

I heard yesterday that the SCB called in their engineer and he advised all the banks in the basement to close down. I also understand the Phuket Provincial engineer has refused to sign off on the remedial work. All hearsay of course but sounds believable.

Went to Krungsri last week and they were closed. Sign on window said all accounts transferred to Rat u Thit branch.

By signing off the remedial works he would have had to first know the full cause(s) of the faliure - unlikely given that testing, reports, etc. take time to evaluate. One of the main problems when dealing with these types of structural faliure is to find a competent contactor who can and will ensure the safety of its workers in a potentially highly dangerous location. I mention this because an earlier photo showed scaffold ladders being used as props; very useful if you want to change a light bulb but as helpful as a chocolate fire guard should several tons of concrete floor decide to tumble down around your head. Furthermore, the Chief Engineer may have had access to the calculation sheets which would have stated the rebar requirements for said columns against what has actually been installed and based his recommendation on that. Oh well...

By signing off the remedial works he would have had to first know the full cause(s) of the faliure - unlikely given that testing, reports, etc. take time to evaluate. One of the main problems when dealing with these types of structural faliure is to find a competent contactor who can and will ensure the safety of its workers in a potentially highly dangerous location. I mention this because an earlier photo showed scaffold ladders being used as props; very useful if you want to change a light bulb but as helpful as a chocolate fire guard should several tons of concrete floor decide to tumble down around your head. Furthermore, the Chief Engineer may have had access to the calculation sheets which would have stated the rebar requirements for said columns against what has actually been installed and based his recommendation on that. Oh well...

"One of the main problems when dealing with these types of structural faliure is to find a competent contactor" - don't you mean a contractor than can not be corrupted?

"One of the main problems when dealing with these types of structural faliure is to find a competent contactor" - don't you mean a contractor than can not be corrupted?

Sir, whilst your intimation as to my real meaning may be indeed factual, I was unable to formulate an expression using iambic pentameter in a way that would be clearly understood and not defame the good name of Thailand.

Concerning alleged corruption, some may say that one of the greatest impacts of corruption normally arises out of the choices and priorities of governments. This occurs when the real development priorities of a country are often neglected in favour of those that generate the greatest personal gains for the decision makers. Here, it is clearly evident that many projects in developing/3rd World countries have become white elephants and easy route for personal self enrichment. Allegedly of course.

If one were to use Thailand as an example, the day to day scams mainly of a financial form are one thing but when the tentacles of corruption can involve the loss of human life with no accountability then the problem of who's values apply when it is not your playground?

Back to the columns; as you reside in Patong, would happen to know whether the columns that have failed have been painted over black?happy.png

What;s the significance of painting the columns black Billy? Sorry, that one's lost on me - then again much of life is these days.

The occasional alleged practice of air carriers of painting over their logos on air strips when a potential litigious occurrence may cause a loss of face and cash. This has been covered in previous TV tales.

Sir, whilst your intimation as to my real meaning may be indeed factual, I was unable to formulate an expression using iambic pentameter in a way that would be clearly understood and not defame the good name of Thailand.

Concerning alleged corruption, some may say that one of the greatest impacts of corruption normally arises out of the choices and priorities of governments. This occurs when the real development priorities of a country are often neglected in favour of those that generate the greatest personal gains for the decision makers. Here, it is clearly evident that many projects in developing/3rd World countries have become white elephants and easy route for personal self enrichment. Allegedly of course.

If one were to use Thailand as an example, the day to day scams mainly of a financial form are one thing but when the tentacles of corruption can involve the loss of human life with no accountability then the problem of who's values apply when it is not your playground?

Back to the columns; as you reside in Patong, would happen to know whether the columns that have failed have been painted over black?happy.png

I don't use the car park there, and I certainly will not be going in there now. I've also adjusted my shopping habits. If that whole forecourt caves in, it will pull all the surrounding buildings down as well.

May only take the next small earth tremor.

When I first saw the photo, I thought maybe a truck with a protruding load had hit the pole, but after a closer look, it appears that compression has caused that pole to fail, and when it completely gives way, could cause a domino effect of overloading on nearby poles, causing a collapse.

Edited by NamKangMan

Yep. Nice to be so secure in smug belief Thailand is so deficient.

Oh ! But wait..... http://io9.gizmodo.com/these-are-some-of-the-worst-architectural-disasters-in-512561209

Interesting link, but how many of those incidents happened in this century, and in "A World Class Tourist Destination?" smile.png

And how many structures were kept open after warning signs were detected?!

Hard to keep open something that already fell down no? And those that were in the last century could be less than two decades ago, not a millenium. smile.png

Yep. Nice to be so secure in smug belief Thailand is so deficient.

Oh ! But wait..... http://io9.gizmodo.com/these-are-some-of-the-worst-architectural-disasters-in-512561209

Interesting link, but how many of those incidents happened in this century, and in "A World Class Tourist Destination?" smile.png

And how many structures were kept open after warning signs were detected?!

Hard to keep open something that already fell down no? And those that were in the last century could be less than two decades ago, not a millenium. smile.png

I didn't say after they fell down, I said after warning signs were detected.