Land Tax

GiantFan

GF rec'd a letter at her isaan address saying that I owe land tax. Over 10 yrs. and this is the first time they have assessed. They want me to bring the land paper down with a signed copy of her ID card.

I asked where I should go and she didn't know. She has been calling the office number but no answer. Typical sh?t service.

Anybody know where I should go? House is in Patong, so hope it's Kathu land office. I did the transfer there.

What's the current % on assessed value? Is that land only or does that include house too?

I would think Kathu Land Office. Might even be Patong Municipalty office past the Patong fire station. Should be a very small percentage of the assessed land value.

My wife owns land in Patong and our company owns land in Patongfor over 17 years - never had a land tax demand, ever ...

I would think Kathu Land Office. Might even be Patong Municipalty office past the Patong fire station. Should be a very small percentage of the assessed land value.

My wife owns land in Patong and our company owns land in Patongfor over 17 years - never had a land tax demand, ever ...

Same letter rec'd about 6 months ago but GFs mom binned it. Maybe trying to screw owners outside Phuket as a starting point.

I read 0.25% a while back.

Just for clarity - does this involve a 30 year lease in your name. The land owner (I guess your g/f) would be liable for annual tax based on land value/ by 30 years.

I got caught with this tax when I used to have a 30 year lease in Patong. Sure it's the land owner who is liable but in my contract the leasee had to pay the tax. I got caught for about 6 years back tax.

Just for clarity - does this involve a 30 year lease in your name. The land owner (I guess your g/f) would be liable for annual tax based on land value/ by 30 years.

I got caught with this tax when I used to have a 30 year lease in Patong. Sure it's the land owner who is liable but in my contract the leasee had to pay the tax. I got caught for about 6 years back tax.

Thx but no. Got a doc that says I own the house.

Funny how farang can't own land until the tax is due.

Anyhow, the amount due would be minimal. I think Mrs S paid a few hundred Baht last year.

Maybe have the MIL bin this one too?smile.png

Thx but no. Got a doc that says I own the house.

Yes, but you do not own the land. This is a land tax. Question - who owns the land, for sure it cannot be you if you are not Thai.

When we bought our house, the title was put in my wife's name, with a 30 year lease to me recorded on the back. At the time, we pre-paid the tax on the lease. I don't recall the amount, but it was minimal considering it covered 30 years worth of taxes. Maybe 10-20K baht?

• 4 weeks later...

Update

Went down to muni / land office in Patong. Showed them the letter, land paper, GF signed ID, etc... The main gist was if I was paying rent. I told them no and got the GF on the phone to confirm.

They asked me to go down to the PEA and get a 2 year statement, which I did. Not sure what this proves, since account is in the original builders company name (never thought to change over). Monthly GIRO is in my name, which satisfied the PEA gal as I didn't bring a copy of an old power bill.

After everything resubmitted, I had to write on another doc that I lived at my address, that I didn't pay rent, and finally that the house was owned by my GF. They were quite emphatic on this last point.

I asked how much was owed and was told zero baht. I asked if this would be an annual event and was told no. Hopefully this is the case.

So seems like they are trying to collect tax from people renting out their properties.