Adopting my Thai stepchildren

kenna

You mentioned you are from the U.K. are you living in the U.K. or Thailand?

If Thailand, Sorry I do not have the address nor name of the Thai Agency but I believe you are patient someone will come on the board and let you know. In a prior topic similar I remember a number of poster mentioned the location. You might do a search on ThaiVisa itself? What I do know it is in Bangkok off one of the roads from the Monument. It is where many of the Government offices are located, the building is red brick on the right around 2-3 Kilo/M up from the Monument. Maybe your Thai wife can ask or I think if you Google it will come up. For myself I did this about 10 years ago, I first started with a so call agency/Lawyer they pretty much messed things up. In one of the interviews the agent ask why I was using a service and found out the problem and was told in perfect English by the agent they would do it for free. The whole process took me about a year, one of the requirement to start was I had live in Thailand for 6 month straight.

Good luck.

Edited by thailand49

Following many high profile cases involving human trafficking, commercial surrogate motherhood issues and parental child kidnapping, the rules for adoption of Thai children and trips overseas accompanied by children as a single parent have tightened up dramatically world wide during the last few years.

The current Thai adoption process can easily take 2 years and requires the full co-operation and approval by the social services department in your home country.

I think that it is fare to say that the current adoption process in Thailand is now so administrative complex that it puts off most prospective adoptive parents from getting involved in the process once they are made aware of all the requirements.

Take care with reading advice from out of date posters who may have adopted their children during easier, more administratively lax times.

Here's your first introduction to the current process through the Thai Consular web site adoption link

BTW, their is a very much more easier process for those holding Thai Residence permit - however, PR is extremely difficult to obtain (only approx 70 applications were accepted last year)

Good luck with your efforts - adoption is the right thing to do, but will take you forever. wai2.gif

i wish you all the best but wonder why you would want to adopt the kids? you will loose a lot of leverage if you do if things go wrong. same as getting married. better to keep things flexible, you can still support your step kids if things go wrong and you feel the need. hope this does not come across too negative but in 10 years of seeing thai western marriages/relationships they dont often last, and it is horrible to see children used as leverage when they go bad.

Wow, mikiea, I'm not thinking of using my children for anything like that, I don't know how you came to this conclusion. I'm doing it cos I love them so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It doesn't sound easy at all. Thank you all for your responses. I will consider what to do in the future. I thought it would make life easier for my kids . Also, maybe , in the future, a visit or stay in the U.K.

ct

Thank you for the replies. I have lived in Thailand for more than 6 months. Unfortunately I am in the U.K at present on a 6 month stay. Can it really take upto two years.

What little people have said here is all true. Adoption isn't for everyone you are taking on a big responsibility it is just as if the child is your own or not. I was once told being able to produce a child doesn't give one the exclusive right to love them. Many Thais I know or met do not understand how I can love my son more the way I do? It is simple I love him as he is my own and treat him the same as my other. I make no distinction but Thais and others do.

Although my adoption was done 10 years plus, do not get discourage! I really suggest you locate the agency and make a appointment yourself and get the information and time frame first hand. The time frame isn't important if you feel it is worth it. In fact, when I did get rid of the Lawyer and dealt direct with the agency it went much faster. Although it started out badly with the Lawyer, had to constantly call them to get a update and it wasn't until I call that I got to move on to the next step.

Here is what I remember... it is going to make a huge difference to them as to where you plan to live? If it is going to be in Thailand it will go much faster I remember even with the lawyer problem the entire process took just 12-14 months. I suggest get the approval first and worry about the future later because the rest is pretty easy.

IF the child husband is around it will be bit of a problem, maybe why my case went so fast was the father was dead. Since you are home do this before you come back. Get a criminal background check and clearance before you come back. I also remember having to go to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok to get some document and to the Royal Thai police for another clearance check. Had to get a medical check at Bumrungrad in Bangkok, had to provide sufficient funds to take care of him. Had a staff come to our house for a interview, all in all in the end we had our final interview in Bangkok a year later with a panel of Thais, I was interview with my wife and soon to be son and then I was asked to leave while they talk to him and his mother. When I was called back in everyone was crying I was wondering what was going on and ask and I was told by the panel that my wife and son had so much love for me which had me in tears. It was approved, a month later I got the paperwork, had it translated in English, went to the local Amphur to have his last name change etc.. got a new passport.

Sure like in anything in life we have had our up and downs but I would do it again and again.

Good luck..

ct

Thank you for the replies. I have lived in Thailand for more than 6 months. Unfortunately I am in the U.K at present on a 6 month stay. Can it really take upto two years.

What little people have said here is all true. Adoption isn't for everyone you are taking on a big responsibility it is just as if the child is your own or not. I was once told being able to produce a child doesn't give one the exclusive right to love them. Many Thais I know or met do not understand how I can love my son more the way I do? It is simple I love him as he is my own and treat him the same as my other. I make no distinction but Thais and others do.

Although my adoption was done 10 years plus, do not get discourage! I really suggest you locate the agency and make a appointment yourself and get the information and time frame first hand. The time frame isn't important if you feel it is worth it. In fact, when I did get rid of the Lawyer and dealt direct with the agency it went much faster. Although it started out badly with the Lawyer, had to constantly call them to get a update and it wasn't until I call that I got to move on to the next step.

Here is what I remember... it is going to make a huge difference to them as to where you plan to live? If it is going to be in Thailand it will go much faster I remember even with the lawyer problem the entire process took just 12-14 months. I suggest get the approval first and worry about the future later because the rest is pretty easy.

IF the child husband is around it will be bit of a problem, maybe why my case went so fast was the father was dead. Since you are home do this before you come back. Get a criminal background check and clearance before you come back. I also remember having to go to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok to get some document and to the Royal Thai police for another clearance check. Had to get a medical check at Bumrungrad in Bangkok, had to provide sufficient funds to take care of him. Had a staff come to our house for a interview, all in all in the end we had our final interview in Bangkok a year later with a panel of Thais, I was interview with my wife and soon to be son and then I was asked to leave while they talk to him and his mother. When I was called back in everyone was crying I was wondering what was going on and ask and I was told by the panel that my wife and son had so much love for me which had me in tears. It was approved, a month later I got the paperwork, had it translated in English, went to the local Amphur to have his last name change etc.. got a new passport.

Sure like in anything in life we have had our up and downs but I would do it again and again.

Good luck..

Wow, thank you so much for your response. That is so nice to hear. My wife and children love me so much , I am only trying to do the right thing for us. I feel the same for them too.

ct

Good luck..

Wow, thank you so much for your response. That is so nice to hear. My wife and children love me so much , I am only trying to do the right thing for us. I feel the same for them too.

Then the length of time your time isn't important as long as the goal is met. As noted, like anything you will be taking on a big responsibility it is the same as having your own kid you can't just walk away when it gets bad. If you need anymore you can PM me, I do not think a lot of BM want to hear too much?

Edited by thailand49

ct

Good luck..

Perhaps the most heart warming post I have ever read on ThaiVisa. Thank you Thailand49 - you have just made my day wai2.gif

Wow, mikiea, I'm not thinking of using my children for anything like that, I don't know how you came to this conclusion. I'm doing it cos I love them so much.

most relationships start out with the best of intentions. many end in a very nasty way especially when money or kids are involved. hope for the best but plan for the worst. you need to retain you flexibility if possible.