Major result for Thai police - arrest of the Philippines' "most wanted" fugitive

webfact

Don't know why it's a major result for Thai police as he was grassed up by a fellow countryman or former mate.

They would never have found him after being here and settling in for 12 years.

Atypical somebody else points the way and the BIB take the kudo's great police work etc. Another BIB produced/photo-op media success. Pass the silver plate again.

Doesn't even make it in the top ten http://www.topten.ph/2014/03/04/notorious-10-philippines-wanted-2013/

What does surprise me though is that Thai police bothered to get off of their <deleted> for a 'tip-off' when they don't even bother with court issued arrest warrants. What's this? Thai Public Relations have a moment to fill in between somtam and napping?

Does this mean all Filipinas teaching English are criminals? I know many expats think 'farangs' teaching English are.

Just goes to show how easy it is to teach English here if you're a certain kind of person. If you're white or Filipina, it's just assumed you can teach English.

I was interested to be told that some schools in the south employ a great many Filipinos. Salary way below the norm.

Does this mean all Filipinas teaching English are criminals? I know many expats think 'farangs' teaching English are.

Just goes to show how easy it is to teach English here if you're a certain kind of person. If you're white or Filipina, it's just assumed you can teach English.

The word is Filipino as it is a man. Filipina is the feminine. Just thought I would point out the difference

You're 100% right. i'll just stick to 'Filipinos' for male and female.

I'd say 75% correct, Filipino is somebody (Male or Female) from the Philippines, Filipina is a female from the Philippines.

As Scouse123 has said, I'd like to know how he managed to renew his passport (at least twice) as a RPI passport is only valid for 5 years & I seem to recall my Filipina had to renew hers early because they were being switched to Biometric passports (or maybe she said she needs to renew it early because of this), either way no way can his passport be valid & the one he entered on 12 years ago.

Edited by JB300

No, it means that this fellow is a criminal. He was working in a language institute which is rather different to teaching in a school.

That many expats think that "farangs" teaching English are criminals is quite possibly because their view of "teaching" is somewhat influenced by the costumes worn by the girls in the bars which they frequent .

Incidentally, given the level of crime and violence in The Philippines, that someone involved in a failed kidnapping is their most wanted fugitive seems to set the bar rather low!

A bit of exaggeration I suspect

He was working as an English teacher at a language institute and was also employed as a singer.

I enjoy singing. Where can you get a job singing? Where was this guy singing? There must be an opening now he's singing the jail house rock.

There are many Philippino/a singers and musicians in Thailand and other Asian countries - they seem to have a cultural in-built skill for it.

You have probably seen many live bands in Thailand - many of them are either made up entirely of Philippinos or at least the singers are Philippinos. It is easy to just assume that the live singers are Thai.

Don't know why it's a major result for Thai police as he was grassed up by a fellow countryman or former mate.

What does "grassed up" mean (for us Yanks).

What does "grassed up" mean (for us Yanks).

Snitched...its a UK slang term which has no place in a news article, but the "jouro" is trying to sound cutting edge, with a hint of "snatch" and fails badly

I know of a British Citizen, of Asian extraction, who "teaches" at a language school in Korat.

Not qualified in anyway, fled Malaysia to avoid a court ruling for theft and openly brags on social media that he works without a WP on a retirement visa.

So yes, sadly, it still seems easy for some, and not necessarily white, farang to get teaching jobs and flaunt the law. But I guess all countries have such people. I know of one illegal immigrant in the UK who entered on a student visa and never left. Been there yonks, had a baby whose now at school and been reported several times by people she's pissed off. So let's not pretend all authorities are water tight and all check are done diligently.

He was grassed up by a countryman, and the RTP get the accolades! The first of the Erawan Shrine bomb suspects was also arrested after a tip-off, and again the RTP got the credit (and the reward).

Easy way to make a living!

He was working as an English teacher at a language institute and was also employed as a singer.

I enjoy singing. Where can you get a job singing? Where was this guy singing? There must be an opening now he's singing the jail house rock.

There are many Philippino/a singers and musicians in Thailand and other Asian countries - they seem to have a cultural in-built skill for it.

You have probably seen many live bands in Thailand - many of them are either made up entirely of Philippinos or at least the singers are Philippinos. It is easy to just assume that the live singers are Thai.

I remember hearing one such band doing Frank Sinatra numbers - "And now, the end is near, and so I face the vinyl curtain."

:):)

I was interested to be told that some schools in the south employ a great many Filipinos. Salary way below the norm.

12k a month I believe.

Up north there are lots from. Cameroon and Nigeria.

Edited by JAG

One of my French friends was teaching English in Bangkok, he was not fluent in English and he had a awful french accent......anything is Possible here, TIT.

Regards.

How come Thai police are able to arrest a Filipino criminal, but cannot catch their own?

Thai criminals have more friends in Thailand and can really blend in as they speak the language perfectly, Filipino's can only blend in by there looks.

Regards.

I think you will find that if you have to explain a ' jest' it was not very funny to begin with.

I've attempted to translate this post a few times, but have given up!

it's very simple. There is a stereotype of 'foreign' teachers here being criminals, pervs, alcoholics, degenerates, etc. Every time a foreign teacher is arrested for something the stereotype is amplified. So, using this twisted logic, does it mean the same can be applied for Filipina teachers? Good for the goose kinda logic.

The comment was merely a satirical comment on other's ignorant views. Said in jest, if you will.

Does this mean that all commenters such as yourself are as narrow minded and biased as you sound? I know that many expats are not nearly as uninformed as you, and their views are generally more aware of Thai society than you suggest. If you live in Thailand maybe you should move

Hmmmm...Seeing as everyone agrees that Thais and Filipinos look the same.....then how do they know they got the right guy ...seeing as all the criminals would also look the same.

Cheers

Maybe they listened to his singing - a sort of audio identity parade?

They were going to listen to his English but no one could understand his accent!

:):)