Rental Charges

Hi All,

I will be coming to Chiang Mai in feb 07. I want to look around for a house to rent, preferably near popular ex pat areas to hopefully meet a few and strike up a friendship so they can offer me advice on the dos and don't. I have been advised to stay in the normal hotels for the first few days so i can look around, find someone who speaks english to ride around with me and look for houses with for rent signs..

When i find one i would like to rent, are these price advertised, negotiable with the property manager? similar to average shopping on the streets?

Or is real estate a set price, for Thais and Farangs?

Help would be appreciated.

PS: where would i find be the best " friend " to show me around these places.

I don't reckon it would be a real estate agent, but rather an ex pat, or maybe a local thai person who i will obviously have to slip a few Baht to help me. Only problem with the latter, is the chances of finding a non connected one with their friends real estate agent.

A honest ex pat would be my preference .I may get the best advice as they could relate to me. and the area which i am seeking. hel_l, even if they wanted a few Baht, it would be better to pay them than a total local.

I i really like this holiday, i would like to come back every 6 months.

My ultimate goal is to find a GOOD thai women, marry, set up a house there. She can move to Australia and we could go back to our house in thailand often. I know you have heard it all before, but this time i wont stop till i meet the right one, even if it takes years of visiting. I am not into the bar scene, that is tpart of the reason i want to rent a house away from the nightlife areas ,so i can try to assimilate with good honest thai people.

Cheers,

Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

Hello

I live in Chiangmai with my English husband,we can help ,only problem is most rental contracts are 6 or 12 months,and unless you are retired or student it is diifficult to stay here for 6 months.Please let me know if you can get a visa,then we can talk more.

Yes I do have friends who would like western husband.

Bye.....Ning

Hi All,

I will be coming to Chiang Mai in feb 07. I want to look around for a house to rent, preferably near popular ex pat areas to hopefully meet a few and strike up a friendship so they can offer me advice on the dos and don't. I have been advised to stay in the normal hotels for the first few days so i can look around, find someone who speaks english to ride around with me and look for houses with for rent signs..

When i find one i would like to rent, are these price advertised, negotiable with the property manager? similar to average shopping on the streets?

Or is real estate a set price, for Thais and Farangs?

Help would be appreciated.

PS: where would i find be the best " friend " to show me around these places.

I don't reckon it would be a real estate agent, but rather an ex pat, or maybe a local thai person who i will obviously have to slip a few Baht to help me. Only problem with the latter, is the chances of finding a non connected one with their friends real estate agent.

A honest ex pat would be my preference .I may get the best advice as they could relate to me. and the area which i am seeking. hel_l, even if they wanted a few Baht, it would be better to pay them than a total local.

I i really like this holiday, i would like to come back every 6 months.

My ultimate goal is to find a GOOD thai women, marry, set up a house there. She can move to Australia and we could go back to our house in thailand often. I know you have heard it all before, but this time i wont stop till i meet the right one, even if it takes years of visiting. I am not into the bar scene, that is tpart of the reason i want to rent a house away from the nightlife areas ,so i can try to assimilate with good honest thai people.

Cheers,

Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

Almost all the people I know who have rented houses (other than apartments) have got them from word of mouth from Thais. Putting the word out with Thais that you meet ( some education is better) will generally yield fast results. Don't worry too much about contracts. Thailand is not Australia. The landlord will rip it up the moment it does not suit them and the legal system will not be interested. Everything will be done by discussion.