Deputy premier praises Surin province as model for road safety

webfact

Deputy premier praises Surin province as model for road safety

SURIN, 8 July 2016 (NNT) - Deputy Prime Minister Narong Pipatanasai praised Surin Road Safety Directing Center as a model for road safety.

The deputy premier visited the northeastern province of Surin as chairman of Thai Health Promotion Foundation to inspect its performance in road accident prevention.

He said that Surin province has concretely succeeded in tackling road accidents by establishing Surin Road Safety Directing Center and implementing action plans on road safety at provincial, district and community levels.

Surin could be a model for road safety for all other provinces throughout Thailand which has had the second-highest road fatality rate in the world, the deputy premier said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-08 footer_n.gif

Does this mean they actually have traffic police patrolling and enforcing the law? If not, what exactly has changed?

it means they don't make a report of most mishaps

And accidents by Surin street bike racers are not included in the statistics.

Yesterday it was reported that residents complained about 200 street racers in Surin and today Surin is being congratulated? Am I missing something as this is anything but consistent in the reporting.

Edited by gandalf12

I wonder which planet this Surin is located. Instead of visiting the road safety propaganda centre, he should take a tour of the province and look at the badly damaged vehicles piled up outside the police stations.

Some suggestions:

Record each location with traffic accidents then improve these locations.

Make tv spots about danger when not keeping enough distance between vehicles.(including fine amount)

Make tv spots about danger of overtaking vehicles on the left side.

Start a non stop crack down with serious fines for anyone bumper tailing and overtaking on left side.especially on high ways.

Have maximum speeds signs on all roads and start to fine all the speeders who ignore them.

If you implement this for some years there will be a significant reduction in accidents.

Yesterday it was reported that residents complained about 200 street racers in Surin and today Surin is being congratulated? Am I missing something as this is anything but consistent in the reporting.

I am sure the NNT are absolutely consistent with their reporting of the most unbelievably optimistic news possible regardless of its veracity. The other report about the street racers was probably by some less sycophantic and more reliable media.

I am sure the NNT are absolutely consistent with their reporting of the most unbelievably optimistic news possible regardless of its veracity. The other report about the street racers was probably by some less sycophantic and more reliable media.

Someone is badly informed that is for sure

Someone is badly informed that is for sure

That would be the Thai public.

Does this mean they actually have traffic police patrolling and enforcing the law? If not, what exactly has changed?

They formed a committee........

Oh ye of little faith.

But you are right of course, the process for change here is,,,, Create a healthy budget to tackle the issue, assign important people to form a committee, put those important people in a big room, talk about the issue for as long as you like, agree a way forward, congratulate each other and then publish the findings,,, this is the Thai way of making change.

Of course nothing does ever change because what's obviously missing is the execution of a plan for change, but that does not matter because the important people in the committee are being paid from the healthy budget and they can go home feeling happy and extremely important because they have thrashed out the issue in a room and written down what must be done. Wonderful.

I have seen this in the Thai company I worked for, talk, talk, talk but the actual doing, the execution, the getting off your backside is so lacking.

Amazing isnt it. He announces hes coming so everyone has time to prepare and iron out their best dress uniform and lapels. Streets are cleaned and sorted. Nary a note on stats. Just the feel and impression. No wonder this country has one of the highest per capita road toll

so many holes in the road its impossible to drive faster than a cart pulled by a buffalo............i imagine?

Oh ye of little faith.

But you are right of course, the process for change here is,,,, Create a healthy budget to tackle the issue, assign important people to form a committee, put those important people in a big room, talk about the issue for as long as you like, agree a way forward, congratulate each other and then publish the findings,,, this is the Thai way of making change.

Of course nothing does ever change because what's obviously missing is the execution of a plan for change, but that does not matter because the important people in the committee are being paid from the healthy budget and they can go home feeling happy and extremely important because they have thrashed out the issue in a room and written down what must be done. Wonderful.

I have seen this in the Thai company I worked for, talk, talk, talk but the actual doing, the execution, the getting off your backside is so lacking.

Do you think that is unique to Thailand?

It is exactly what is happening on the world stage too!

Internationally the focus of Road Safety is still the "3 E's" approach - Engineering, Enforcement and Education. This approach has been the main stay since it was proposed by the motor industry to distract from the poor safety features in cars. It is still the main focus today even though it is far from perfect.

The enforcement part tends to excessively focus on speed, totally ignoring the fact that pedestrian accidents tend to happen in built up areas at low speeds. Cars tend to speed where there is no traffic, you cannot speed when stuck in traffic. Recently various countries around the world have been installing avarage speed cameras, totally ignoring the fact that the majority of accidents happen at junctions. Speeding on a clear open road where all the vehicles are travelling in the same direction is particularly safe. Yet they ignore all the evidence presented on this and instead continue to focusing on "low hanging fruit" and ever more expensive technological fixes.

No money in just teaching people to do it right in the first place. But lot's of International Road Safety conferences where traders can offer telemetric systems, GPS, expensive "safety cells" so the rich can armour themselves against the peasant pedestrians and expensive shock absorbing crash barriers to bounce off when drunk.

Edited by CarolJadzia

so many holes in the road its impossible to drive faster than a cart pulled by a buffalo............i imagine?

You imagine?

Wouldn't it be better to say "I have no idea about the roads in Surin, but I'll never miss an opportunity to bash and get my post count up at the same time"?

Generally I find the main roads around Surin quite good. Road works can be a pain - but you can't have good roads without road works initially.

Why doesn't he quote any statistics?

Because, no matter what anyone else may say, statistics do not lie.

People lie, but statistics don't.

Winnie

But you can make them say what ever you want

I think it's more like a club with a budget. Members get together once a week for dinner and drinks whilst discussing the menu for the next meeting.