Lightning raid on Bangkok minivans - drivers look like they are going to war

rooster59

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a club or weapon in your house, I can't see why these drivers who spend all their time at work shouldn't have something for safety. Many often sleep in their vans as well or take overnight trips. I bet the police always have a weapon in their car. They'll use their excuse that they are a police officer but that's bs. they can still be a police officer without a handgun on them. After all they are the ones who think Thailand isn't dangerous. How many cops and soldiers have been videoed pulling weapons on other drivers or threatening people in their free time. We see video constantly of these folks.

Baseball bats usually need a ball and glove to be associated with sport.

The bat carried alone constitutes a weapon ?

So, next time you want to carry a Baseball bat for "protection" make sure you have at least one ball with it to avoid conviction....

and maybe a cap wth NY on the front.

What no attitude adjustments?

Apart from the gun and drugs a lot of taxi van drivers around the world carry some sort of hidden weapon for protection.

As long as it's for self defence I've got no problem with this at all.

Obviously the guy with the gun was team, never bring a knife to a gunfight.

In a civilised country, any taxi driver producing a weapon for any reason would be out of a job permanently. Any country that aspires to be civilised would attempt to reduce the carrying of weapons, except the USA.

Apart from the gun and drugs a lot of taxi van drivers around the world carry some sort of hidden weapon for protection.

Their idea of self defense might not be the same as yours and mine.

Self defense, for some of these drivers, includes the right to brutally attack someone who has attacked their ego/face by actions we might deem trival.

Give an inch, they take a mile.

Nobody needs to carry weapons.

Absolutely, I drove a taxi on and off for 28 years, the chances of being attacked on the night shift were very high, especially when the drug scene took over.

edwinchester to carry a baseball bat legally in your car, from my own experience in law enforcement, carry a catchers mitt, preferably a old worn one and two balls. Instantly legal, Then be seen every now and again playing with your kids with it in the park. Legit sports kit.

Most minivans carry tourists, from airports , resorts, hotels and to shows.. very seldom, (if ever) do they attack minivan drivers, so all this weaponry is not needed.. and how many Thais do they carry, just girls with their farang boyfriends. It is mostly Thai guys fighting and killing Thai guys over, usually bugger all. I read once about a police officer was shot and killed over an argument for just 4 Baht,, worth dying for !!!!

I wonder if anyone has been killed for less than 4 B ???

How do they know that a baseball bat is a weapon?

I carry a knife everywhere, very handy, but I don't consider it a weapon, it is a very handy tool.

Surely these guys must have shown some aggression with these so called weapons to actually call them weapons. Otherwise kids going to baseball should also be arrested for carrying their Louisville slugger.

me to, I always carry a knife ! what else would you cut or peel fruit with ? It's a very handy tool. and I have a extra knife in my car for the same reason.

This is a non news,...it's quiet normal to have a knife or a stick in the car....I have a whole tool box too and most tools can cause a lot of damage to people if wrongly used...Check any self defence manual ! anything can be used as a weapon ! ballpoints, keys, credit card....

Edited by off road pat

I suspect these drivers were former students of those infamous vocational institues...or fathers of such students!

what an incredibly bigoted and racist comment to make. You just love to stereotype don't you, it's something you do frequently.

I'm a little confused, what's bigoted and racist about a suggestion "(I suspect") that the ex-students of certain vocational institutes are carrying weapons illegally? Don't the students often carry illegal weapons, did not the Fathers of these students usually attend, in their youth, these same institutions?

Seems a rational thing to say?? thumbsup.gifwai.gif

If this is the start of something real, great. But it looks like little more than (pun intended) saber rattling by publicity starved agents of "we aren't changing anything".

Let me develop a program to bring things under control. By the time they run through mine, 75%+ of the current driver pool (a few are good) would be back home with no opportunity to ever again chauffeur. Those who make it through the first stage (re)qualification gauntlet will be subject to regular spot checks that include sobriety, drug, personality profile, and driver skills tests every year to hold their license. Every driver will be forced to enter a checkpoint as they begin their shift.

OK, waking up from my dream state. Sorry.

Hope you didn't suffer too much from your hallucinary dream, waking too quickly could cause untold mental strain, please take it easy next time.

hats off to the boys in brown. while you are at it, how about having route numbers on the mini-vans, not the number written in Thai.

Farang need to visit Chang Wattana Immigration. Farang no read thai. Can read number.

I suggest you learn the Thai numbers. After all, there are only ten of them.

They got some bats and knives but they missed the 160 vans.

The last van ride I took was in Krabi. Nice young guy and drove great heading out of town. Then he stopped at side of road and disappeared for 5 minutes. When he came back, he was a changed man. He drove like a maniac to Ko Lanta.

Some 160 vans were searched and the following was found:

28 knives of varying sizes

2 axes

3 metal clubs

1 baseball bat

1 9mm gun and 8 bullets

2 bags of krathom leaves

This coupled with "drivers look like they are going to war."

REALLY? With whom, a bunch of grandmothers. And even then they would lose for sure.

The only war that Thailand ever sees is invariably, self-inflicted. What this country truly needs, perhaps as much as anything, is a squadron of editors.

I carry a knife everywhere, very handy, but I don't consider it a weapon, it is a very handy tool.

Surely these guys must have shown some aggression with these so called weapons to actually call them weapons. Otherwise kids going to baseball should also be arrested for carrying their Louisville slugger.

Depends on the knife but im not sure your allowed to carry a knife here on yourself. Where i come from you are allowed to carry a knife as long as the blade is not above a certain length.

The knives are NOT pocket knives like the Swiss Army knives, they are knives of the type that came in to use with the Hitler Jugent. These knives do severe damage to the wound they make making the wound difficult to heal.

How many people do you see actually playing baseball? Did they also find a baseball and glove in his car as well? I am sure if he actually played baseball or his kid was in a baseball league it would be very easy to explain that. How many little league teams do you see in Thailand? Now think about it and maybe you will find what is the most plausible explanation for possessing such a thing.

I drove a taxi for some years in the UK, weapons were very definitely not allowed and could lose you your licence fast.

Of course, a 4 cell maglight was an essential item for reading house numbers at night. tongue.png

edit; for those who don't know, a 4 cell maglight is basically a sturdy metal tube with 4 nice & heavy D batteries in it. :D

Edited by DefaultName

I suspect these drivers were former students of those infamous vocational institues...or fathers of such students!

what an incredibly bigoted and racist comment to make. You just love to stereotype don't you, it's something you do frequently.

Racist?...how?

Self defence? Seriously? Their driving is bad at the best of times; can you imagine one of these morons getting into a fight after being overtaken? And with passengers on board? Or perhaps you can't, but there are plenty on TV who can.

How many people do you see actually playing baseball? Did they also find a baseball and glove in his car as well? I am sure if he actually played baseball or his kid was in a baseball league it would be very easy to explain that. How many little league teams do you see in Thailand? Now think about it and maybe you will find what is the most plausible explanation for possessing such a thing.

haha be better to carry a set of golf clubs under the seat, be more believable that he actually uses them for recreation... 5555 or a soccer ball !!!

Self defence? Seriously? Their driving is bad at the best of times; can you imagine one of these morons getting into a fight after being overtaken? And with passengers on board? Or perhaps you can't, but there are plenty on TV who can.

Of course it's self defense, " he cut me off so I have every right to smash his head in" and it is probably his best friend too..

Killing your best friend after an argument seems to be the norm here !!!

Except for the drugs you could any of that stuff in any one of my cars.....

You should keep some purple urine on hand just in case. If you are gonna get framed for drug use you might as well choose what drug they find.

LMAO. Yeah, I'm sure he was on his way to baseball practice.