Thailand and Hitler

Boycie

Thai people in their vast majority have zero knowledge about world history.

Ask them about WW1 or WW2.

Some even don't know much about the Vietnam war.

They just remember those noise jets over their heads wink.png

To me it's a mystery where this Hitler cult comes from but it exists.

The minority who know at least something seem to admire him for his fight against the 'communists"/"Russians".

And anti-communism is deeply rooted in Thai genes.

Maybe something has been left in the genes from their "fuehrer" during WWII, field marshal Phibunsongkhram.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaek_Pibulsonggram

Phibunsongkhram began to increase the pace of modernisation in Thailand. Phibulsonggram supported fascism and nationalism. Together with Luang Wichitwathakan, the Minister of Propaganda, he built a leadership cult in 1938 and thereafter

I understood that he was quite an admirer of "the fuehrer" and an ally of Japan.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Can anyone explain this? Hitler's last visitor in the bunker at the end of the war was (get ready for this) The Thailand Ambassador?

Actually you're wrong on this.

Hitlers last visitor was (get ready for this)

Walther PPK chambered in 7.65mm.

Edited by Rayk

Puey Ungpakorn fought with the FreeThai movement and parachuted into Thailand for operations against the Japanese. Later in life he was forced into exile by rightwingers, the same group now in power. I think the key to this story is where certain people went for safety from the enemy during the Japanese involvement in Thailand. That says it all for me. Maybe others have a different opinion on history at that time. I just wonder why anyone would take refuge in the heart of Nazi Europe rather than other place around the globe.

Thailand was on Japan and Hitler's side during WW2.

But Thailand didn't really participate in any hostilities right? It was more or less siding with Japan to let them pass through Thailand on their way down to the rubber rich Malay peninsula - right?

Can anyone explain this? Hitler's last visitor in the bunker at the end of the war was (get ready for this) The Thailand Ambassador?

Wish I would have another source for that.

Living in Germany for decades I have seen many/too many documentaries about the "last days" etc.

But never the word "Thailand"/"Thai ambassador" sprang up (which would have let my jump from the chair).

EDIT: just found a source in German language.

Hitler received state visitors until shortly before his end.

22 April 1945 last entry: Envoy of the Kingdom of Thailand.

Also no additional info and only one source I could find.

Edited by KhunBENQ