Are expats doing Visa runs in Malaysia?

I had talked to a few expats in Malaysia in the past who said they had did visa runs for years, leaving every 3 months and going to a neighboring country. I have read that visa runs are no longer allowed in Malaysia and that after 3 runs you could be denied entry. I have not had any first hand accounts on this and was considering trying Malaysia for a year or so.

I also am reading that with no visa you could not even open up a banking account in Ringit.

I have my own income without working but would not meet the my second home requirements Searching the web finds lots of out dated information back to 2010, then in 2015 thier appeared to be a crack down on visa runners the same as Thailand saw.

I would love to hear from others on how to stay long term in Malaysia and if it is doable

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, no recent news to report, but a word to the wise: try not to involve yourself with any immigration issue that requires going to an immigration office other than at the frontier itself. 

Also, you may think things like this are a thing of the past, but a man who's appearance can in any way be considered "hippie" (long hair, ear rings, etc) can find himself unduly singled out. I know a guy who was not allowed to fly out of Kota Kinabalu for some reason, told he needed to go to the immigration office, not allowed to board his flight to KL.  He knew his visa was still valid, so he backtracked and went to a different queue, and moved on without issue.  Ask a Malaysian adult about hippies and you'll hear that they are a cult that takes drugs, has sex all the time and spreads venereal disease, and are communists. 

• 2 weeks later...

ok folks thanks, to bad no reports on expats in Malaysia doing visa runs, I know many did it in the past for sure.  I go to Malaysia often but only stay 4 or 5 days, and I have never ever been ask anything, but that is a lot different then doing back to back entries 

I am living at the malay border (satun), I often meet expat from Langkawi doing their 'visa run' for years.

They are ask to spend 2/3 nights out of the country before to return. Another thing is that they do not use the same border to re-enter the country than the one they use to leave. 

Example, they leave langkawi by ferry to Satun and 3 days after use the Wang Prachan border to re-enter malaysia and catch the Alor setar ferry to Langkawi.

I know a lot of them doing that for years without any trouble.

On 8/3/2016 at 2:30 AM, bendejo said:

Sorry, no recent news to report, but a word to the wise: try not to involve yourself with any immigration issue that requires going to an immigration office other than at the frontier itself. 

Also, you may think things like this are a thing of the past, but a man who's appearance can in any way be considered "hippie" (long hair, ear rings, etc) can find himself unduly singled out. I know a guy who was not allowed to fly out of Kota Kinabalu for some reason, told he needed to go to the immigration office, not allowed to board his flight to KL.  He knew his visa was still valid, so he backtracked and went to a different queue, and moved on without issue.  Ask a Malaysian adult about hippies and you'll hear that they are a cult that takes drugs, has sex all the time and spreads venereal disease, and are communists. 

(long hair, ear rings, etc) What about tattooes? I have long hair, but no tattooes or ear rings.

Just as well Malaysia is one of the countries I would never go to.

I can help a little I did visa runs for seven years not without a few hiccups though

If you kept smiling normally you could talk your way back in but you never went to that border again

Flying helped somewhat and not using the full 90 days every time was also a help

Five years ago it was obvious they were cracking down so that meant a Malaysian wife since then life of Riley where visas are concerned

In the last year I know of three people who where told not to come back 

One Englishman who went to Korea

One male South African who just went back home

Plus one German who went to Cambodia and is now teaching English god help them

I cant tell you for sure what the visa limit is or even if there is one

Its actually a social visit pass and stamped quite clearly no work allowed well at least it used to be

My advice to anyone is what I would do now if I had just arrived would be to mix it up between Thailand ,Cambodia and Malaysia although that wont help with putting any sort of roots down

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

(long hair, ear rings, etc) What about tattooes? I have long hair, but no tattooes or ear rings.

Just as well Malaysia is one of the countries I would never go to.

After living many years in Malaysia I really dont know if I should laugh or cry

Just to save you the trouble I dont carry a torch for Malaysia either

On 8/3/2016 at 8:20 AM, CRUNCHER said:

Don't know about visa runs, but you will have trouble opening a bank account without a visa or work permit.  As I had an HSBC premier account elsewhere I eventually managed to get an account with HSBC MY.

You either need the correct visa work permit or get the branch manager to vouch for you 

Malaysia is neither my favourite place to be, nor have ever had any problems.

However, whilst waiting in line for my passport at the Thai Consulate, there have been several others who I would single out for deportation, disposal, whatever, just keep them out of Thailand. Each of them in their own ugly way, a personification of the word 'disrespect'.