Recent experience going to 4 different banks to open a new account with just passport on tourist vis

Seems like it all boils down to me needing a letter of recommendation from the embassy (which seems to be a notarial service that will cost me 1800 baht) or having someone with a bank account to vouche for me.

This is what 4 different banks told me (bangkok bank HQ, kasikorn, kungthai and SCB). They all gave me a form outlying the same requirements except for bangkok bank which will accept a consulate letter.

anyone have recent experiences. seems to be there are new laws in place this year that are making the banks do this.

No new "laws"; just banks/branches making "their policies" more strict in farangs (all nationalities) opening bank accounts especially if you don't have a work permit or long term visa/extension of stay.

From posts I've read on ThaiVisa it does seem to be getting harder for farangs who just have a tourist visa or just a 30 day entry stamp....not to imply folks with long term visa/extension of stay don't run into the same problem depending on the bank/branch. Seems wanting a certificate of residence to open a new account is becoming more common.

And it will vary significantly from branch to branch (even within the same parent bank) as to how hard or easy it is to open a new account.

Just find a Thai with ID that is prepared to sign the papers with you as a referee. Bank will accept that.

is this for all banks or certain banks?

Not for all as they have their own rules. I opened one at Kasikorn On Nut at the Big C branch and that is all I needed. As already said, they all have their own rules and every branch is different and I think they are mostly reluctant because it seems to be more work. Most people give Bangkok Bank the thumbs up. Just try a few in the area where you live. Good luck.

Just find a Thai with ID that is prepared to sign the papers with you as a referee. Bank will accept that.

Not for all as they have their own rules. I opened one at Kasikorn On Nut at the Big C branch and that is all I needed. As already said, they all have their own rules and every branch is different and I think they are mostly reluctant because it seems to be more work. Most people give Bangkok Bank the thumbs up. Just try a few in the area where you live. Good luck.

I actually live right across the street from there. So you had a thai person with ID jsut come with you and it worked there for you huh?

I actually live right across the street from there. So you had a thai person with ID jsut come with you and it worked there for you huh?

Yes, but just smile and try not to let them fob you off. The person that I took opened an account at the same time. Absolutely no problem. I sat down on my own and the girl said I can't open the account. So I called over my Thai friend and she took her ID and copied it and attached it to my application. Used her address as my address. I have a ATM/Debit card and it costs me 200 Baht a year. I do all my banking online wherever I am.

Please come back and update the thread when/if you finally get an account opened. :)

Bangkok Bank is getting stricter. I am told i need a certificate of residency now in order to open. The above where another Thai will vouch for you using their cert seems to do the trick. Hope this helps.

On the other hand, my banks in my home country (Belgium) are also very strict to transfer funds to Thailand by internet banking.

I have accounts with 4 banks: Argenta, KBC, ING and BPOST. Only with BPOST it's possible to transfer online. The other 3 requires that you are physically present in their offices to sign the paperwork and show all your id's.

thanks for the info. Ill try to get someone thsi week and update the thread. smile.png

also. are you able to get a credit card? a credit card works with only the funds in yoru account?

you mean a DEBIT card not credit card

Kasikorn is usually pretty easy

i know many people that have walked in with just their passport (no visa)

and got a bank account (pattaya klang branch)

i have also opened an FCD account with Krungsri (yellow) with just a passport

what is the purpose of you having a bank account here ?

why do you need it ?

and yes I didnt dress like a poor bum backpaper

With the American Banking inquiries through the world to all banks many banks in Thailand do not want the hassel and there fore will not let an american open a new account as a tourist with a non"O" or on retirement extension. I have had a Bangkok Bang account for 15 years in my name but now I can't open anouther or transfer my account to anouther area.They ask for a work permit visa.

You are not an American, right ?

No new "laws"; just banks/branches making "their policies" more strict in farangs (all nationalities) opening bank accounts especially if you don't have a work permit or long term visa/extension of stay.

From posts I've read on ThaiVisa it does seem to be getting harder for farangs who just have a tourist visa or just a 30 day entry stamp....not to imply folks with long term visa/extension of stay don't run into the same problem depending on the bank/branch. Seems wanting a certificate of residence to open a new account is becoming more common.

And it will vary significantly from branch to branch (even within the same parent bank) as to how hard or easy it is to open a new account.

[/

Compliance with international anti-laundering etc.

Not unreasonable for applicants who have a tourist visa. But aproblem for those now applying for a long stay visa on the basis of retirement. However is the request at the bank is supported by a Thai partener or spouse then an affirmation of place of residence from local Amphur will usually be accepted.quote]

thanks for the info. Ill try to get someone thsi week and update the thread. smile.png

also. are you able to get a credit card? a credit card works with only the funds in yoru account?

Kasikorn is usually pretty easy

i know many people that have walked in with just their passport (no visa)

and got a bank account (pattaya klang branch)

i have also opened an FCD account with Krungsri (yellow) with just a passport

what is the purpose of you having a bank account here ?

why do you need it ?

It's pretty clear he means credit card.

It's none of your business why he needs or wants a bank account here or anywhere else.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he wants to put some money into a bank account. A lot of people do that these days.

<snip>

It's pretty clear he means credit card.

<snip>

Nope, given the poster said "...a credit card works with only the funds in yoru account?" - then I would have guessed the same as mki8

Its an easily confused term in this case.

Sojuncoke, a debit card is easily obtainable if you can get a local account, and further to that, you can get a 'virtual' credit card such as Kasikorn's Web Shopping card...just with a basic account

I use my Kasikorn K-Web Shopping Card for all of my travel, flights, accommodation and online credit card purchases. And it only needs me to have the balance in my K-bank account

I tried that at on branch of BKK and said I needed a gov't worker or lawyer to vouch for me.

Went immediately across the road and opened a Kasikorn (with a Thai national in tow), no problem.

A couple of years later I went to a different BKK branch and they were just fine (the lady I was with told me that she had to pretend to be my gf though). She actually said that right in front of them and nobody batted an eyelid.

Can't remember what Visas I was on each time though, I suspect it was a Non-O the first time and ED the second time around years later).

I never did understand what the issue was since I only wanted to deposit money - it's not like I have or ever will ask them for a loan.

Thanks for this suggestion!!

I have been turned away from Krung Thai (my village branch), despite having banked with the SCB branch directly across the street. The conversation took me back to opening my first bank account in Patong, in 1996. ''cannot, if retirement visa; can if work visa''. Home Pro used to deny me a customer card for the same reason! So, despite the feeling of deja vu, thanks for the idea to ask the bank officer for a date first :) , Being a farang married couple, it is still the same old, same old. Fortunately, we have Thai friends, to help.

Banks are strange things. There was a topic on recently about whether I wanted one of those 'fast pay' chip cards and recall someone saying foreigners couldn't have one, and another person said they accepted him. I was logged into online banking and got the offer so I said okay, and it said "we'll contact you when it is available". I still don't know what it is or whether I have any use for it.

I've just separated my phone from my internet package to revert back to PAYG because they were very expensive with their "Free!" 100 minute package (which costs 199) and it was 1.5baht a minute after that plus VAT, so now I'm on 75 satang per minute without a contract or any other payments. The point being is I went to the online banking to set up the number for TopUp, and it is requesting my phone account number (which I put in even though I'm no longer on that contract since a couple of days earlier), and it is refusing it as presumably it has been terminated, but then I wondered why would BKK require my contract number for a phone number that is not on contract anyhow? They've never asked for that before. If I was on contract I wouldn't be doing a TopUP would I?

At the risk of going off topic, when in the (not) "True" shop giving my Phone the 'brexit' from the package contract I was told I'd have to have a new sim if I wanted a better internet package (the 799 one with 199 extra for the 4G. I said I don't want the 4G, I'm happy to use the internet package you're supplying for internet. I said I want to keep my number no matter what. They said the new SIM must be a different number. I asked why I couldn't keep my existing number (which they hobbled from DTAC when first starting this carrier changing game). The answer was "because it's already in use" - well yeah! that's me using it! I got up and quietly left at that point, but not before they offered me their phone number if I had any further enquiries, which was an Udon number starting with 042. Why can't they pay for their own mobile services if they're so hot?

Nope, given the poster said "...a credit card works with only the funds in yoru account?" - then I would have guessed the same as mki8

Sojuncoke, a debit card is easily obtainable if you can get a local account, and further to that, you can get a 'virtual' credit card such as Kasikorn's Web Shopping card...just with a basic account

I use my Kasikorn K-Web Shopping Card for all of my travel, flights, accommodation and online credit card purchases. And it only needs me to have the balance in my K-bank account

Yes this is what I meant guys. when online websites (Lazada) and apps (Uber) ask for a credit card, a debit card does not work.

I would like to know this. Are they only strict with Americans?

They are no stricter on Americans than any other nationality . Now if you are a farang and just happen to be American the branch may use the FATCA/you're are an American excuse just to have an excuse to turn away "other than flat out telling you the truth is they prefer not to have farang accounts."

But their core reason is simply the branch may prefer not to have a farang accounts unless you have a work permit or other accepted paperwork such as a long term visa...and some branches won't even accept a long term visa. This has been a long time issue with Thai banks...for decades.

I'm American, have opened one new account at Bangkok Bank around 6 months ago...no problem....and another account opening about a year before that. These account openings was well after FATCA went into effect 1 Jul 14 which requires banks to report certain bank account info to the IRS for U.S. folks. Oh, yea, opened a bank account with Krungsri Bank one year ago.

I would like to know this. Are they only strict with Americans?

American accounts involve more compliance paperwork for the bank so yes, some banks sounds rather not take on American customers...

They are no stricter on Americans than any other nationality . Now if you are a farang and just happen to be American the branch may use the FATCA/you're are an American excuse just to have an excuse to turn away "other than flat out telling you the truth is they prefer not to have farang accounts."

But their core reason is simply the branch may prefer not to have a farang accounts unless you have a work permit or other accepted paperwork such as a long term visa...and some branches won't even accept a long term visa. This has been a long time issue with Thai banks...for decades.

I'm American, have opened one new account at Bangkok Bank around 6 months ago...no problem....and another account opening about a year before that. These account openings was well after FATCA went into effect 1 Jul 14 which requires banks to report certain bank account info to the IRS for U.S. folks. Oh, yea, opened a bank account with Krungsri Bank one year ago.

I've read many reports that contradict this, but yes, some banks point blank don't accept farangs, it's up to the manager of the branch in question I think.....

Its not written in stone anywhere that x y or z passports can have an account or not.... Added to the fact that some banks don't have English speaking staff so it creates extra hassle when a farang wants to join than a Thai etc...

Yes this is what I meant guys. when online websites (Lazada) and apps (Uber) ask for a credit card, a debit card does not work.

That's strange. I use my UK (Visa) debit card on Lazada and loads of other sites - never had an issue with it. I doubt it would be accepted if I wanted to hire a car but works online for everything else.

Archived