passport on hold by an employer

**Working in Thailand,having B1/B2 visa on my passport.
Can an employer hold an employees passport and take employees passport to the US embassy and get employees visa cancelled? with or without employees permission?
or
Can my employer send someone else on my behalf with my passport to get my visa cancelled?
The employer cannot or can take an employees *passport* to the embassy to get the visa cancelled with or without employees permission?
*The presence of the passport holder is required or not?
*Can this be practiced my any employer or not? **

An employer is not allowed to have your passport in his possession. You should be in possession of it at all times, except when it is with a consulate or government agency for visa or legal reasons.

However, if you were granted a visa to another country and that visa was backed by your current employer (for instance to do a job or business for them in said country) then your employer could cancel their backing. If they inform the consulate that granted you the visa about this, the consulate can cancel the visa. There is no need to have your passport to do this. You would still have the visa in your passport, but you'd likely be denied entry to the country upon arrival.

• Like 1

An employer can and often does have your passport in their possession temporarily for the expedition of visas , work permits etc - I don't know about cancellation of visas particularly if that is against your wishes . You always have the possibility of asking or insisting that you are present in any of these situations.

Some years ago I received a recycled piece of paper from my Thai school. The back of the page contained a photocopy of a foreigners front page of the passport. I went on TVF to try and locate the man to inform him.

I found him without releasing all the information.

He got very angry with me and demanded that I meet him at the school in Question.

There is always a cost involved in trying to help others, I should have just kept my mouth shut.

The world over, you do not give anyone your passport. Unless you need an agent to extend a visa in Cambodia or like such to save you a visit to immigration yourself.

You mean one of those "quasi legal" agents with someone in Immagrations providing an assist for a fee don't you ? even when the forms submitted says to apply in person.?

Though an employer may have provided supporting documents, a B1/B2 visa is not tied to any particular employer. You are free to use the visa to travel to the U.S. on business on behalf of another employer.

As said, anybody can make whatever report they want about you to the U.S. authorities. Perhaps this might mean some additional questions on your next entry, who knows.

But your ex-employer cannot simply take your passport to the embassy, explain you've left their employ, and expect that the visa will be cancelled. That's just not the way B1/B2 visas work.