Despite ‘one person, one company’ law draft, foreigners still can’t own businesses

Jonathan Fairfield

Must be because farangs aren't regarded as persons.

Given the typical farang demographic in Thailand, do you actually blame them ?...

Would you let someone who wears dirty shorts, flip flops,Chang wife beater, drinks cheap beer, mumbles under his breath

and contentiously whines about Thailand ownership of a company ?

The BDP have most likely been reading all the Thai bashing comments on TV and thought "well F em then"

Coupled with the foreigners dress attire look at what businesses they try and open. Great majority are seedy lil dump breakfast houses that turn into brothels at night.

Personally the way it should work is you present a business plan to a committee. Let them review the business intent. But that will not happen and honestly I do not blame them. Look at the US, every area now is Little Saigon, Little Mexico, Little Pakistan, etc etc. They cater only to their countrymen and its always "cash only" and they pay little taxes but yet demand police, fire and emergency services.

Every beach area from Hua Hin to the Malaysian border would be gobbled up by foreigners. I say keep it up Thailand. Stand to your principles.

Principles? - that is the most amusing thing I have read today. No principles here because there us simply no understanding of the word.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Thais would be treated by law and by officials outside of Thailand, worldwide, like they treat foreigners in their own country, human rights organisations and NGOs would stand at hello, demanding JUSTICE NOW! and millions would do mass anti-racism demonstrations for the "poor, mistreated Thai people"... I am so sick and tired of this protectionism and racist stances here that I just wanna puke.

I think some people are overlooking the benefit of this proposed new law. On the whole, this proposed law is beneficial. Any foreigner fluent in Thai, with an understanding of laws, rules, customs and traditions could always apply for Thai citizenship and own the business 100% in their name. That's a vast improvement over the present situation. No need to involve Thai shareholders. At present, even foreigners with Thai citizenship cannot do this.

To be fair - Thailand is still a developing country.

Sure, BKK and other 'developed' tourist areas are different, but for the vast, vast majority of the population in the vast majority of rural Thailand it makes sense to limit foreign investment.

It wouldn't take long for things to change dramatically if foreigner property ownership, for example, was allowed.

The only people it really hinders are those foreigners who have no Thai contacts - otherwise you just register everything in your Thai partner / friend / whatever's name. It's not the same but good enough for most applications IMO. And I guess thats the way they have it rigged - so when things go belly up the money stays in Thailand for the most part.

If Thais would be treated by law and by officials outside of Thailand, worldwide, like they treat foreigners in their own country, human rights organisations and NGOs would stand at hello, demanding JUSTICE NOW! and millions would do mass anti-racism demonstrations for the "poor, mistreated Thai people"... I am so sick and tired of this protectionism and racist stances here that I just wanna puke.

I agree - don't forget the legions of taxpayer-funded human rights lawyers who would rush to their aid!

However, if it's genuinely upsetting to you, remember that racism is hurting the Thai people so they are suffering the consequences. A whole spate of businesses have either left or are leaving. Samsung switched TV production to Vietnam. Look at Toyota, cutting 800 jobs, yet building new plants in Malaysia, Mexico and China within the next 3 years. It's Thais who are suffering ultimately.

Remember us Farangs are deliciously happy with all the rules here, like closing Go-Go bars before 6pm and best of all the opportunities to own a business so we don't get screwed by landlords, and property in our name not in the wife's village control.

But, I think I'll just have another beer and dream. I wish we did the same in my country, perhaps the foreign countries who bought all the real estate they want may run out of money someday.

I guess if we owned a business here like a restaurant they be confused because we would install sinks and hand wash sinks and stop dumping waste into the waterways. Cooking food correctly and proper service.

I would start a drivers course for cars, trucks and buses and they would have to be certified by MY Company but again, I'll have another beer and dream on.

I'm not one usually who goes tit for tat. I believe countries in the west are being the bigger people by not discriminating against those who have govenements who discriminate. But to fair, if your government won't allow foreigners to own business and houses, the diplomacy should be the same. It's called an agreement.

Don't like it? Then you vote for a modern government who doesn't live in the last century. Well, I'm not sure when you'll be allowed to vote again to be fair.

who doesn't live in the last century. Or the century or two before that..............

it's not unique just to LOS.

I do recall it is no different in Malaysia, where no ferenghi cannot be in a business, unless it is owned by 51% or more by a Malay

In Fiji, the indigenous ran the (big-business-man) Indians out of town (many becoming refugees to Australia) , and gave it all to the locals

SudAfrika had countless property owners lose all their property, and often their lives, to the majority locals

Financial racism is a world-over problem

Please do not mention countries you have no knowledge of South Africa does allow one man businesses and yes also if you are not a South African, the rest is propaganda.

The real question should not be the nationality but the benefit to the (Thai)society. If a one (wo)man has a specific skills which can eventually help hundreds of Thais get a job or improve the life of Thai people then that should be more important than his nationality, because then he is not taking away jobs from Thais but CREATING jobs.

I'm sick and tired of these stupid comments. This is Thailand and The Thai gov't will do whatever they want to protect the business interests of their people.

you REALLY think these decisions are to protect the business interests of 'the people'? wow

I'm sick and tired of these stupid comments. This is Thailand and The Thai gov't will do whatever they want to protect the business interests of their people.

you REALLY think these decisions are to protect the business interests of 'the people'? wow

It's alright man, he's just "sick and tired".

Even if you could could you be bothered doing business in LOS? Hiring Thais, dealing with corruption every day. What kind of business environment is that?

If you live in Thailand with your Thai family, you play the cards that are in your hand. Not the cards you wish you had.

Western Governments need to grow a set and reciprocate these rules to Thais .Then maybe things will change.

I'd prefer the reverse.

From my experience people who move to Australia and start a business work hard, contribute to the community, provide employment and generally abide by the law. Not saying they are perfect, but I definitely like to see opportunities being made available to legitimate business people. Business generally does more for the community than the average government.

I'd be happy if there were some restrictions on the type of business if deemed to be unfair competition, although it's hard to draw that line. Clearly allowing foreigners to sell somtum on the street is a no-no. Although I do think there are a number of other smaller businesses that could only benefit Thailand, e.g. small technology firms that provide employment and traineeships type opportunities. At present these things are really hard for the smaller operator and can't be 100% owned, like mine.... I want to provide a service, provide employment for Thais, provide training opportunities for Thai's, but the hoops I have to jump through are a nightmare!

Edited by tails

Thais lack the elementary schools and the university. how can the country controlling a farang?
If the money is to end then kick him out. Dont need school for this.

The country needs another 20 years to the state from the rest of the world. Just accept this and the life in Thailand is simple.

But do not complain, we love and enjoy Thailand. With money you can manipulate all rules.

Thais lack the elementary schools and the university. how can the country controlling a farang?

If the money is to end then kick him out. Dont need school for this.

The country needs another 20 years to the state from the rest of the world. Just accept this and the life in Thailand is simple.

But do not complain, we love and enjoy Thailand. With money you can manipulate all rules.

Just accept this and the life in Thailand is simple. But do not complain, we love and enjoy Thailand. With money you can manipulate all rules.

I do agree and remind myself of this often. Although.... with proper regulatory bodies manipulation is much harder and hardly worth the risk. The world is moving towards a global economy whether we like it or not. I guess it's natural for countries to protect their own first, fair enough. Although, there are plenty of missed opportunities in the process too... which again I must accept is totally up to the host country to decide whether those missed opportunities are worth capturing. I just hope that opportunities aren't missed for the wrong reasons...

Edited by tails

I will be one campaigning to invoke reciprocal laws against any country which actively discriminates against foreigners due to race. No doubt the foreigners (including Thais) staying in their hosting country wouldn't find it amusing if their rights were relinquished in the same manner.

Thailand has yet again shown it's contempt to the outside world, that it firmly upholds racism, xenophobia, and direct discrimination towards non-thais. The country should hang it's head low in shame.

That would mean they lost "face" that would be the same day pigs grow wings and red Bull guy goes to court

"that a sole foreigner can’t register, own or run a business on their own in the country."

Not entirely accurate. The US-Thailand Treaty of Amity specifically allows it.

That is exactly correct unless the Thai's have somehow nullified the treaty. Does the Treaty still stand?

Thailand prides itself on never bring colonized. Why the hell would you think they would change? You will never own BUSINESS nor LAND! Remember that and stop pipe dreaming...

Never colonised because the Brits and the French agreed to leave it as a buffer between Burma and Vietnam. Large chunks of Thailand were ceded to the French to kep them at bay, but Thais conveniently forget that, or aren't aware of is as many Thais are simple people, or brainwashed into believing untruths.

thailand is doing you a favor buy not allowing you to own a business. you should be thanking them. 9 years in business in thailand making a fair living but doing some long hours and i have had enough of it. i am the only one i know who has made any money at all. most loosing everything they invested. if thais were smart they would let foreigners own businesses in thailand, i believe thailand would make even more of foreigners investing in business here than they would off foreigners buying houses for their wives.

thailand is doing you a favor buy not allowing you to own a business. you should be thanking them. 9 years in business in thailand making a fair living but doing some long hours and i have had enough of it. i am the only one i know who has made any money at all. most loosing everything they invested. if thais were smart they would let foreigners own businesses in thailand, i believe thailand would make even more of foreigners investing in business here than they would off foreigners buying houses for their wives.

Does one have to do business in Thailand in order to have an Amity Corporation? I want a foreign corporation to the United States that will be hard to sue in court.