Phuket Transport Office vows to continue crackdown

webfact

Phuket Transport Office vows to continue crackdown
Phuket Gazette

pkt.jpeg
Transport officers stop and search vehicles during the three-day crackdown. Photo: Winai Sarot

PHUKET: -- Five hundred seventy-three drivers were arrested during a three-day crackdown in Phuket, July 3-5, according to officials from the Department of Land Transport (DLT).

Royal Thai Army personnel and Phuket law enforcement officers set up checkpoints across the island, in what DLT officials called an "attempt to boost Thailand’s image".

DLT director-general Sanit Promwong said on July 5 that the crackdown was aimed at taxi drivers and public transport drivers.

“The most common wrongdoing was unregistered and unlicensed taxis. We’ve charged 344 of them, and the maximum fine was 20,000 baht,” said Mr Sanit.

“Other common violations we found were driving customers off of designated routes, for which the maximum fine was 10,000 baht; modifying the taxi by installing things like spot lights, which calls for a 5,000 baht fine; and drivers using a vehicle registered as an 'unfixed-route public vehicle' as a fixed-route public vehicle, which carries up to a 50,000 baht fine.”

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Transport-Office-vows-continue-crackdown/64202?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-07-13

this attemp at a real crack down generated AAAAALLLLLLLOOOOOOTTTTTT of money of the government.

Now that the greed banwagon is going my way. imma goonnna use this greed. to snowball corruption. facts and numbers dont lie. and with the right greedy person, you can create enemies for your enemies. keep your enemies busy, so they never see the flank coming, so they never know who the enemy is, so they never know your tactics.

do you know the FINE for renting an apartment out as a hotel? even 1% is a good commission for a police man. then banks can buy back at lower rates and sell to policemans friend. THANKS AGODA and booking.com FOR THIS LIST!!!

imma going to make sure only the right business are exposed. certain business that deal with a certain police man, this is how you control someones else life. throw the right combonations of problems and poof. theres no way out.

I've loved going to Phuket but the taxi business is one of the reasons the next time might be my last. I know it's a small thing but I hate it so much. The industry is controlled by criminals and this "crackdown" is not going to hurt them. On the contrary.

Good. Let's hope they keep it up. Way too many crappy/unlicensed,/unregistered public transport vehicles here all looking for the easy baht.

You of the opinion the public bus system is in no way crappy? albeit 'licensed and registered'. Three day 'crackdown' on tuk tuks with illegal spotlights etc Bib bloody woop. Pathetic.