Mourners Pay Respects to Their Hero

geovalin

Mourners started gathering from early morning for the third day of Kem Ley’s funeral rites at Chroy Changva’s Wat Chas yesterday. There were local people and international guests at the temple and they streamed past Mr. Ley’s body to pay their respects, and the line of people kept growing throughout the day. There were laborers, monks, students, NGO members, diplomats, farmers and politicians.

On Monday, the line of people paying their respects continued until midnight. For some, attending the funeral was as simple as walking down the street. For others, the journey was neither short nor simple.

It took Seng Ly, 67, two days to travel from Prey Veng to the capital. Still, there was never any doubt whether she would make the trip in Mr. Ley’s honor. “He went twice to my hometown to talk with villagers last month. He ate dinner at my house and I cooked for him and he said ‘the food is so delicious’,” Ms. Ly said.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/27150/mourners-pay-respects-to-their-hero/