Changing Baht To Dollars. Us Bank Card. Advice?

I have a US bank account with funds obviously in USD. Are there any financial institutions that give the ATM choice of taking money in Baht OR Dollars? I dont really feel like paying double commissions to turn Dollars-Baht-Dollars. Your advice would be appreciated. I have travelers cheques as well, but I assume those would follow the same course. (Going to Myanmar, by the way, this is the reason for the USD)

Thanks, Ossie

Sorry Ossie, but I do not understand your question.

It is hot here today so maybe my brain isn't working too good but you talk about an ATM taking money when of course they only give money.

So if you mean debiting your account then surely if your account is in USD then it can only be debited with USD, or do you want an ATM that dispenses USD.

Sorry if I have missed the point.

Thailand has a fairly strict currency-cvontrol that not even allows you to buy foreign currency unless for a valid reason.

For business companies currency will only be given by showing tickets, p/port, wp etc.

So for sure no ATM will dispense US$.

The only time that I have managed to get USD cash at a bank in Thailand was in Mai Sai and that was at the counter of course .

It may be possible to get it debited to a credit card.

There is probably an upper limit as well.

• 3 weeks later...