Boris Johnson among three Brexiteers with key roles in new UK cabinet

webfact

Boris Johnson among three Brexiteers with key roles in new UK cabinet
By Alasdair Sandford

606x341_338558.jpg

LONDON: -- Theresa May has lost no time in appointing her new team since being confirmed as the UK’s new prime minister.

In a surprise announcement – and certainly the most eye-catching – the leading pro-Brexit campaigner Boris Johnson was named as Foreign Secretary.

Having quickly fallen out of the race to be prime minister following the referendum vote to leave the European Union, the appointment promises a high-profile role on the world stage for the man who vowed repeatedly that Britain would “take back control” outside the EU.

Johnson – the former mayor of London – is however not necessarily known for his diplomatic skills, and his every move will be closely watched. At least one of his supporters has pointed out that as London’s figurehead, he travelled the world in search of inward investment into the British capital.

The previous foreign secretary Phillip Hammond – who wanted Britain to remain in the EU – has been granted the job he wanted, as finance minister.

He will replace George Osborne, another Remainer, who is leaving the government. His warnings about Brexit’s consequences on the economy led many ‘Leave’ campaigners to accuse him of scaremongering.

The detailed and complex task of negotiating the United Kingdom’s exit from the EU could be beyond Johnson’s remit, with the creation of a new government department responsible for ‘Brexit’.

The man appointed to take charge is David Davis, who becomes Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union. The 67-year-old is a strong supporter of Brexit who has said Britain should take its time before formally starting the divorce process by triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.

A senior Conservative politician, he was beaten by former prime minister David Cameron in the party’s 2005 leadership election contest.

Another key role has gone to another ‘Brexiteer’: Liam Fox has been named responsible for international trade, and will be in charge of forging new deals following the EU vote. The 54-year-old is an ex-defence and foreign office minister.

The new Home Secretary (interior minister) is Amber Rudd, who was a high-profile supporter of remaining inside the European Union. Her appointment reflects a desire by Theresa May to maintain some balance between ‘Remain’ and ‘Leave’ supporters who were so bitterly opposed to each other during the referendum campaign.

The former energy secretary will play a key role in the country’s approach to immigration, the issue which is widely believed to have swayed many people to vote ‘Leave’. The 52-year-old has only been an MP for six years and has risen rapidly up the ranks.

Perhaps the most striking aspect of the new cabinet is the appointment of leading supporters of the UK’s departure from the EU to key roles in making Brexit happen.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-07-14

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Britain faces being a laughing stock after Boris Johnson is made Foreign Secretary by Theresa May
Theresa puts her Darling Buddies of May (and Boris Johnson) in top jobs
BY JASON BEATTIE

LONDON: -- Britain faced being a laughing stock last night after new Prime Minister Theresa May named Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary.

He was among a host of pro-Leave Tories handed plum roles in a bid to reunite the party – but George Osborne became a major casualty as she drew a sharp line under the Cameron era.

In a dramatic day in which Mrs May replaced David Cameron to become Britain’s second female PM, the Chancellor – slammed for his bungling of the Remain campaign – was not offered another Government job and effectively sacked.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britain-faces-being-laughing-stock-8416990

-- Mirror 2016-07-14

Political commentators are already questioning if Boris will actually be taken seriously on the international stage and I can imagine why.

Can't help thinking she's putting party unity first.

Immediate results ...

post-234089-0-65243800-1468452573_thumb.

Political commentators are already questioning if Boris will actually be taken seriously on the international stage and I can imagine why.

Boris is a clever and effective political operator. The foreign office and the cabinet discipline should provide a framework to control his silliness.

If Mrs May is to manage Brexit, and indeed all the other challenges., and run an effective government, she needs party unity.

I should imagine that The Daily Mirror has had the crack about "darling buddies of May " on file waiting for some time!

Taking The Mirrors commentary on Tory cabinet appointments as serious comment is a bit like believing what the Daily Express says about the death of Princess Diana!

:)

Edited by JAG

Boris Johnson foreign secretary? Good grief.

No wonder sterling fell again overnight.sad.png

Sterling dipped before the appointments.

Smart move by the new PM.

Yes. Boris's foreign counterparts will probably be so confused or busy laughing he will be able to get them to agree to anything.

Boris is a clever and effective political operator. The foreign office and the cabinet discipline should provide a framework to control his silliness.

If Mrs May is to manage Brexit, and indeed all the other challenges., and run an effective government, she needs party unity.

I should imagine that The Daily Mirror has had the crack about "darling buddies of May " on file waiting for some time!

Taking The Mirrors commentary on Tory cabinet appointments as serious comment is a bit like believing what the Daily Express says about the death of Princess Diana!

smile.png

So clever he had to pass on the PM's role because he hadn't actually anticipated the Brexit campaign succeeding and so suddenly found himself in a position he didn't know how to deal with it.

Some good choices, now lets get going and sort the countries independence out for the better, then maybe it will stop the TV moaners and armchair politicians from going on and on and on thumbsup.gif

Edited by Caps

Johnson is not the clown he looks like, good choice

Absolutely right and it is inconceivable that Boris would not be involved in someway. Not sure I saw the Foreign Secretary role coming though - good luck to him and well done May.

You don't get to become Mayor of London by being a clown...................................... oh, wait - there was Ken Livingston of course.

Oh well.......exceptions to every rule and all that smile.png

It would help his credibility if he dropped the clown role.

There's no doubt he's no fool, well versed in politics and his admitted " Yes I'm a clown " may have served him well in London but now he's to represent the country on the world stage.

Humour etc has it's place but not at the expense of not being taken seriously and I don't accept that he'll lull others into a false sense of security etc by his act.

Absolutely right and it is inconceivable that Boris would not be involved in someway. Not sure I saw the Foreign Secretary role coming though - good luck to him and well done May.

You don't get to become Mayor of London by being a clown...................................... oh, wait - there was Ken Livingston of course.

I would rather have a clown than the Mayor London has got now

I agree insofar as Boris had to be offered a govt. position as he was the main Conservative on the winning side of the referendum.

He's obviously no fool, and neither is May. So fingers crossed that she knows him well enough to be sure that he can do a good job.

I'm optimistic about her judgement in this case, as the other appointments make sense.

smile.png

So clever he had to pass on the PM's role because he hadn't actually anticipated the Brexit campaign succeeding and so suddenly found himself in a position he didn't know how to deal with it.

Maybe, but maybe clever enough to realise that with Camerons resignation he wasn't in a position to be the most effective replacement?

Maybe clever enough to realise his ambition was not realisable?

oh my God, this nightmare will never end? That coward bastard of Johnson didn't want to take leadership but looking now for a good paid post as Minister of Foreign Affairs? It's like a comedy in Britain, isn't it? They are the world's fools at present. A soap opera, written by 65 Mill.

oh my God, this nightmare will never end? That coward bastard of Johnson didn't want to take leadership but looking now for a good paid post as Minister of Foreign Affairs? It's like a comedy in Britain, isn't it? They are the world's fools at present. A soap opera, written by 65 Mill.

Only an idiot would think that Boris would be left out.

Smart balanced move by May here. Also puts to bed another myth that "Brexit" would find itself 'in the long grass'.

The clown is incredibly shrewd. His best is yet to come.

He's certainly intelligent, and I doubt May (a shrewd politician) would have appointed him to such an important position if she thought he would be useless in the post.

There was probably a one way conversation without coffee between May and Johnson where she laid down the rules cheesy.gifthumbsup.gif

The clown is incredibly shrewd. His best is yet to come.

He's certainly intelligent, and I doubt May (a shrewd politician) would have appointed him to such an important position if she thought he would be useless in the post.

There was probably a one way conversation without coffee between May and Johnson where she laid down the rules cheesy.gifthumbsup.gif

That is certainly what a decent, strong Prime Minister would do.

BUT, she included him.

That satisfies me and the balance of the cabinet should satisfy any Brexiteer.

'Keep your enemies closer' has been standard practice for a while and is anything but foolish.

Edited by evadgib