Buying A Playstation2 In Bangkok

Farang007

I was quoted similar prices in the 4th floor of MBK of 6000 baht and 12 free games. Each shop insisted that the system was new, not second handed. I have never purchased a system before and I have the following questions:

Is 6000 baht a fair price?

Do you believe them that the system is new? I saw a few on display and could not tell if they were new or not.

If the system can play copy games, does that mean that it has been modified somehow? If so, how do these modifications effect game play?

Will I be able to play PlayStation3 games with my PlayStation2?

Thank You...

I was quoted similar prices in the 4th floor of MBK of 6000 baht and 12 free games. Each shop insisted that the system was new, not second handed. I have never purchased a system before and I have the following questions:

Do you believe them that the system is new? I saw a few on display and could not tell if they were new or not.

if complete new and original there is a waranty sticker, but don't search you won't find it

If the system can play copy games, does that mean that it has been modified somehow? If so, how do these modifications effect game play?

if you get 12 games with it, it is modified with a chip. It shouldn't effect game play but I would recommend to install a different chip that what the usual shops install. www.psxtune.com is in thailand, check for infos.

Do you think people buy a PS3 for 600-800 USD if they could play the same games with the PS2 for 6000 Baht?

Thank You...

Thank You...

Why buy a Play Station 2, when the #3 is about to be released. There will be lots of people selling (2) second hand and already 'chipped' for 4,000 baht or less.

But the above deal with games sounds fair; try to haggle a 3 month guarantee as well.

also, in the future, will companies continue making games compatible with playstation2, or will all new games be playstation3 only? i see the new tom clancy game appears to only be playstation3 on amazon.com

I understand that all Playstation 2 games will work on a Playstation 3. I would imagine that Playstation 2 games will still be released for some time certainly another 18 months because not everyone cannot upgrade overnight.

Of course some new games will be Playstation 3 only. That is to tempt you to upgrade.

also, in the future, will companies continue making games compatible with playstation2, or will all new games be playstation3 only? i see the new tom clancy game appears to only be playstation3 on amazon.com

I understand that all Playstation 2 games will work on a Playstation 3. I would imagine that Playstation 2 games will still be released for some time certainly another 18 months because not everyone cannot upgrade overnight.

Of course some new games will be Playstation 3 only. That is to tempt you to upgrade.

there are rumours that not all PS2 games do work on the PS3.

What I read is that 200-400 games out of 8000 do not work. Others told that many more games do not work, while some tell everything is working fine.

that means wait a few days till you can get a serious opinion on that.

As already stated, why buy a PS2 when PS3 will come out at Xmas, and the Xbox 360 is already out.

You can pickup an Xbox 360 with modchip at MBK for around 15,000. Thats the way i'd go....

Bear in mind that the PS3 will be awhile before any one creates a modchip for it, so no $5 games at Pantip yet...

And are you really dumb enough to ask if the PS2 will play PS3 games? Or did you mean to ask it the other way around?

As already stated, why buy a PS2 when PS3 will come out at Xmas, and the Xbox 360 is already out.

You can pickup an Xbox 360 with modchip at MBK for around 15,000. Thats the way i'd go....

Bear in mind that the PS3 will be awhile before any one creates a modchip for it, so no $5 games at Pantip yet...

And are you really dumb enough to ask if the PS2 will play PS3 games? Or did you mean to ask it the other way around?

For the xbox360 modchips....carefully they are not yet really good. Everything is on a move at the XBox 360

I got a PS2 with a chip, most of the PS2's with chips wont be able to play dvd's on them (it sux anyway, better to use real dvd player)

The machine plays exactly the same, i have 80 plus games from Thailand and the quality of the picture is slightly less because of the cheap dvd's they burn it on, but i guess you cant really complain for the price you get the games at. The quality is hardy even noticeable.

Also about 1 out of 10 copied games you buy wont work.

IMO if you want to buy a ps2, its alot better buying a chipped one as you can buy cheap games and even burn them.

Why pay retail price on a real game that you will get bored of in 3 days?

I got a PS2 with a chip, most of the PS2's with chips wont be able to play dvd's on them (it sux anyway, better to use real dvd player)

The machine plays exactly the same, i have 80 plus games from Thailand and the quality of the picture is slightly less because of the cheap dvd's they burn it on, but i guess you cant really complain for the price you get the games at. The quality is hardy even noticeable.

IMO if you want to buy a ps2, its alot better buying a chipped one as you can buy cheap games and even burn them.

try turn off the PS2 and turn on with the reset button and keep it pressed for 4-5 seconds, than try the DVD again. If that does not work, try a quick double press of the reset button.

Actually with ALL modchips above 5 US$ there is now an autodetect, but in the lausy shops they may use the modchips below 5 usd and they might have that manual thing.

try turn off the PS2 and turn on with the reset button and keep it pressed for 4-5 seconds, than try the DVD again. If that does not work, try a quick double press of the reset button.

Actually with ALL modchips above 5 US$ there is now an autodetect, but in the lausy shops they may use the modchips below 5 usd and they might have that manual thing.

I couldnt care less, the pad sux for watching dvd, i have no idea whats play, forward etc.

I rather use my dvd player.

Anyone played NBA live 07??

its the best on ps2

Or fight night round 2?

For the xbox360 modchips....carefully they are not yet really good. Everything is on a move at the XBox 360

Yes i'll probably be waiting a little while to get my 360 anyways.

According to the guy at the store the xbox 360 modchip (whichever one he uses) even allows you to play the backups on Xbox live; however this sounds a bit too good to be true.

Yes i'll probably be waiting a little while to get my 360 anyways.

According to the guy at the store the xbox 360 modchip (whichever one he uses) even allows you to play the backups on Xbox live; however this sounds a bit too good to be true.

Just informed me a bit about that xbox360 and in fact most don't install a modchip, they flash the some chip in the xbox360 new.

that does not cost them anything.

I got told that this may cause big problems, while someone else told me that this is working perfect an no risk at all.

I would worry that a game detects that and flash some junk on that chip to disable your Xbox360 forever and Microsoft is telling that this was just an update, but as the xbox360 was modified it went wrong, or something like that...

where do i get instuctions for the games? i cant figure anything out!

Well best is to write sony-usa an email, write clear that you bought pirated games for 3 USD each and if they kindly could send you the instructions. Best you give your Thai and your homeland adress, just in case they don't send oversea.

where do i get instuctions for the games? i cant figure anything out!

Well best is to write sony-usa an email, write clear that you bought pirated games for 3 USD each and if they kindly could send you the instructions. Best you give your Thai and your homeland adress, just in case they don't send oversea.

what is sony email? thx

• 3 months later...

Hey All,

Can you tell me if the playstations in Thailand have thai language or english. Silly Question probably, but i don't know. I want my new found kids to have one there. Should i bring one with me, or buy one there. I guess the language thing will help me decide. \

Thanks.

Hey All,

Can you tell me if the playstations in Thailand have thai language or english. Silly Question probably, but i don't know. I want my new found kids to have one there. Should i bring one with me, or buy one there. I guess the language thing will help me decide. \

Thanks.

English.

Thank You...

I got a brand new boxed PS2 (the small footprint one) for about 6000 baht from pantip plaza a few months ago including some free games.

My PS2 plays DVDs only after holding down the button, but it's incredibly simple to use the D-Pad as a remote!

Is there any way to use the USB port on the PS2 to connect to a PC and transfer game save data to the PC, to free up the 8MB memory cards?

I can't play PS one game copies - any idea why?

My PS2 plays DVDs only after holding down the button, but it's incredibly simple to use the D-Pad as a remote!

Is there any way to use the USB port on the PS2 to connect to a PC and transfer game save data to the PC, to free up the 8MB memory cards?

I can't play PS one game copies - any idea why?

For booting DVD or PS One games you press the reset button till the cloud comes, well that is way of some of the cheaper modchips that I know.

I install modchips for the the ps2 wich autoboots DVD's, PSone's and ofcourse PS2 'backups'.

Installing original modchip like the matrix infinity (35$) but also the matrix clones modbo 2.1 - modbo 760 (10$) work fine.

With this type modchip the ps2 can boot from the memory card with applications like HDloader or a FTP server.

And by connecting the ps2 on the home network I use FlashFXP on my pc to copy from and to the memorycard.

For transfering saved games by the USB port you need a USB-to-USB (PL-2301) cable and software nPort and Naplink.

This is some strange information for me. :D

Are you playing games on your VHS or DVD?

A DVD can never produce the low quality video, even if it is the cheap one. :o

English.

Thanks for reply. Just 1 other question. If i bring a ps2 to thailand, do you know if they work on any television. Or at least would you know if they work on the majority of them?

The question is, where your PS2 does come from. If it does come from Europe, you will have problems with the colour, because as far as I know, the TVs outside Europe don't support PAL. It is some kind of Enconding you can say for the colour. The rest of the wolrd does have NTSC as far as I know. So, with a PS2 from Europe you will have problems with the colour, if you do connect it with a TV from here. But if you do have a rather new TV over here, there shouldn't be any problems. But I am not 100% sure about that. :o

English.

Thanks for reply. Just 1 other question. If i bring a ps2 to thailand, do you know if they work on any television. Or at least would you know if they work on the majority of them?

The question is, where your PS2 does come from. If it does come from Europe, you will have problems with the colour, because as far as I know, the TVs outside Europe don't support PAL. It is some kind of Enconding you can say for the colour. The rest of the wolrd does have NTSC as far as I know. So, with a PS2 from Europe you will have problems with the colour, if you do connect it with a TV from here. But if you do have a rather new TV over here, there shouldn't be any problems. But I am not 100% sure about that. :o

Thailand uses PAL so no problem at all and almost all TV's sold here are multinorm anyway.