Thailand's Backward Drug Laws

oobar

In the US, painkiller abuse and overdose are lower in states with medical marijuana laws. Pain patients are increasingly choosing pot over powerful and deadly prescription narcotics. A new study, released in the journal Health Affairs found that, in the 17 states with a medical-marijuana law in place by 2013, prescriptions for painkillers and other classes of drugs fell sharply compared with states that did not have a medical-marijuana law. The drops were quite significant: In medical-marijuana states, the AVERAGE DOCTOR prescribed 265 fewer doses of antidepressants each year, 486 fewer doses of seizure medication, 541 fewer anti-nausea doses and 562 fewer doses of anti-anxiety medication.

But most strikingly, the typical physician in a medical-marijuana state prescribed 1,826 FEWER doses of painkillers in a given year. Look at the attached table.

In a news release, lead study author Ashley Bradford wrote, "The results suggest people are really using marijuana as medicine and not just using it for recreational purposes. This provides strong evidence that the observed shifts in prescribing patterns were in fact due to the passage of the medical marijuana laws."

Now take a look at this study, regarding the treatment of Alzheimers disease with a marijuana compound:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/311347.php

So – is it possible that Thailand could show a progressive outlook and remove marijuana from the list of Class 5 narcotics? Are the powers that be interested in reducing the number of hard-drug addicts by giving individuals a choice of an essentially harmless substance that will help prevent the use of dangerous opioids (as well as other severely addicting and lethal drugs such as alcohol and tobacco)? Is anyone in a position of leadership seriously concerned about helping reduce overcrowding in prisons, caused substantially by cruel and anachronistic drug laws. And what about availing the public of a legitimate medicine for the treatment or prevention of one of the world’s most horrible diseases?

Unfortunately, any improvement affecting these problems would require Thailand’s leadership to possess a modicum of education and a modest ability to use reason and logic. Pigs will fly first.

post-212044-0-13622200-1468647337_thumb.

When I lived back in the UK I sometimes smoked some marijuana if I was with friends. Since I have moved to Thailand I have stayed well away from it obviously because of the laws and punishments that this country have. If Thailand were to relax the rules on marijuana and followed the United States model of how it is prescribed and taxed I can not see any other outcome but a win-win for both people with medical conditions and of course the government earning money from the tax levied. I was once talking to my Thai friends about my college trip to Amsterdam and of course the topic of marijuana came up. They thought that people must be abusing it and just walking around like zombies but I explained to them that since it has been legal to buy and smoke marijuana for such a long time it is just part of the culture and people there use it with respect and do not look to get smashed out of their heads. In the coffee shop I was in a businessman had come in during his lunch time, had a coffee and a spliff and then went back off to work, completely normal behavior for them in Amsterdam. I would prefer to see someone having a smoke than rather buying a bottle of red bull/M-150 with lauw kow in it and then hoping into their 10 tonne truck.

Not backward laws in my opinion want to partake in drugs feel free your life your choice. Don't get caught but if you do don't winge on about Thailand's laws being wrong. The law here is NO. Simple not ambiguous but straight fwd and in my opinion long may it remain so.

Not backward laws in my opinion want to partake in drugs feel free your life your choice. Don't get caught but if you do don't winge on about Thailand's laws being wrong. The law here is NO. Simple not ambiguous but straight fwd and in my opinion long may it remain so.

I think I'll just continue to winge about the laws being wrong - or do you want that illegal too?