Question about San Francisco International (SFO)

Dogberry

We will be arriving SFO at 8:00 PM. There is potential connecting flight leaving the domestic terminal at 9:40PM

I'm not familiar enough with SFO nor have I ever passed customs in the company of my Thai wife (her first time to the US) to know if this is just to close to chance it... We won't have any checked bags so that might save a few minutes...

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dogberry

There's lots of Googles for a search on: sfo international to domestic transfer

I think it'd be real tight, especially if the Immigration folks insist that your wife go through the alien's line.

Mac

Thanks Mac yeah I did Google it and it is exactly that question that goes unanswered. Will they make her use the aliens line? What research I've done seems to indicate different things for different places.

And yeah it's great opportunity to throw away some money on a missed connection.

Edited by Dogberry

I'm very familiar with SFO, and regardless of what happens with your wife in Immigration (she will have to go through the Non US line IMHO), that's a tight connection anyway. Once you're through customs you will have to get to one of the domestic terminals, there are three of them. Choices are you walk, or use the skytrain which loops around all of them.

Now you could bank on the fact as is often the case going west to east you'll benefit from some pretty hefty tailwinds and get in early, but Murphy's Law probably will kick in and you'll arrive at the same time as a flight from Manila, which means all bets are off and immigration will be a zoo.

Good Luck

Edited by GinBoy2

arrive at 8 pm, departure on domestic at 9:40

i say u have a 1% chance of making it. everytime i have flown into sfo it takes at least 30-45 minutes to go thru the immigration line as a us citizen and god forbid if ur randomly chosen for a search.

Yes, thanks for the replies... woke me up to the fact that is was wishful thinking! My second choice is to rent a car, which now seems just fine. Even with a drop off upstate it's the same cost as flying. And Ms Dog gets to eyeball the Golden Gate on the way. Thanks again guys.

Yes, thanks for the replies... woke me up to the fact that is was wishful thinking! My second choice is to rent a car, which now seems just fine. Even with a drop off upstate it's the same cost as flying. And Ms Dog gets to eyeball the Golden Gate on the way. Thanks again guys.

Glad you made the right choice there.

Don't know what day/time you are going to arrive, but be aware, 101 through the Novoto narrows up to Petaluma can be a nightmare, so try to time it at an off peak time

I arrived at SFO with only a back pack, and that seemed to get their attention, so had a half hour of search and questions!

I have traveled international with a back pack everyday, for years, only stopped once, 100,000 miles a month, usually, I'm an OBC on -board courier

I would try to speak with a SFO representative of either airline ans ask if they can get you into a fast lane to make the connection.

maybe if you take a wheelchair, that's the fastest way, all the Indians use this method, short lines for wheelchair access, airline cannot help you in arrival hall ( Customs)

I arrived at SFO with only a back pack, and that seemed to get their attention, so had a half hour of search and questions!

I have traveled international with a back pack everyday, for years, only stopped once, 100,000 miles a month, usually, I'm an OBC on -board courier

How do I get a job like yours Ireland?

• 3 weeks later...