Losing your temper in public or at work, advice pls...

Firstly this is about losing your temper in Thailand. I think China is quite similar in culture to Thailand so I would like to show this video to you.

Published on Jul 3, 2016. The Chinese environment will put pressure on you: noise, crowds, cultural gap, missbeaviour (from a western perspective), nationalism... If you ever lose your temper, you could pay the heavy price, even there is no damage and no harm because you are a foreigner.

I will also depends on the central government policy and if you stay in a more westernized city.

Part 1

The same could happen to you in Thailand. This is what I mean about losing your temper. Not minor events, life changing events like this poor Frenchman.

Part 2

Edited by Wilsonandson

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that I lose my temper with inanimate objects, much to my village neighbors amusement, things like non functioning motorbikes, cars, scooters, Duk duk's etc.

Everyone has a good laugh at me while I get to have a harmless vent....

Works for me.

Is your nickname Pepsi?

When really pissed off - I've discovered that keeping a small, (obviously) fixed smile and speaking quietly and carefully whilst making it obvious that I'm not about to give up easily - generally works.

Not always obviously, but it often seems to disconcert the 'offending' party enough to do something about the problem.

Anger is a common emotion which everyone experiences from time to time. Anger management isn't about denying and repressing anger; it's about expressing negative feelings in a constructive, rather than destructive, manner. Oftentimes you need to cool off (sleep on it) and find an appropriate time and place to discuss your feelings with the other person.

In my opinion, Thais value social cohesion and thus tend to downplay arguments and avoid overt confrontations more than some other cultures. But this doesn't mean they don't get angry. They'll go home and nurse a slight or grievance just as often as a foreigner will, and there's plenty of subtle revenge and getting back at people who they perceive have offended them. There's also the problem of the person who erupts volcanically after keeping his feelings bottled-up. Nowadays, teenagers and young men seem to be far less self-restrained about flying off the handle than previous generations have been.

I have often wondered whether the old saw that "to get angry is to lose face in Thailand" isn't just an outdated cultural myth perpetuated by tourist guidebooks. If losing your temper is so socially taboo here, I ask myself, how come I only rarely come across crime stories here where the accused is weeping with remorse and pleading for forgiveness after they've commited some horrendous crime? On a couple of occasions news articles have even sounded almost sympathetic to the boyfriend/husband who had just killed his cheating girlfriend/wife in a jealous rage; far from showing the social outrage at the attacker's loss of temper that might otherwise be expected.

With that said, just as a matter of personal safety, I would advise being very risk-averse about getting into any type of confrontation which has even a remote potential to escalate into violence.

Edited by Gecko123