Insurance Question

ljd1308

Looking for some help with info about the insurance I have for my PCX.

I bought it in October last year at Mityon Pattaya and was advised at the time of sale that the first year's full insurance was included.

Fast forward to Friday night and I went out for a kebab and the next thing I remember is waking up in the hospital with no memory of what happened, but from the bits of information i have put together it seems I was at fault and hit another car head first....I'm willing to accept that as I have no memory of it and the info has come from a few different sources.

I have a meeting with the police and the driver I hit(who seems quite nice and visited me in hospital) tomorrow, however I have just called the insurance company and they have advised me I am not covered for any property damage(unless my bike was written off)

Apparently what we are covered for is: Personal injury, 3rd party personal injury and theft.

That to me sounds like the weirdest insurance policy in existence, what insurer covers theft but not 3rd party property damage?

I have looked on the English website and from what I can tell if we have theft insurance then we should have all other covers. The insurance company is Safety INsurance Public Company Limited.

Does anyone have any experience of this or could shed some light on it?

In Thailand this is the minimum insurance required under the law. Most Thais would go for this insurance. If you want better coverage (especially if you are a farang), you would need a 1st class insurance that covers 3rd party property damage.

In Thailand this is the minimum insurance required under the law. Most Thais would go for this insurance. If you want better coverage (especially if you are a farang), you would need a 1st class insurance that covers 3rd party property damage.

Is that definite?

Everything I have read online indicates that to be covered for theft you need 1st class which covers everything, even their own website says that.

My understanding was the most basic insurance is through the tax/registration and that only covers 3rd party injury.

This is the diagram on their website indicating the different types of cover they offer(what I have been told I have doesn't fit): https://www.safety.co.th/en/personal/motor/voluntary-motor-insurance?language=en

post-149771-0-01751200-1468828939_thumb.

Also don't forget to check if the policy for cars and motorbikes is the same...

I have tried....

The only reference on the paperwork is that it is 1st class insurance(so everything should be covered), but whenever I speak to someone(either mityon, insurance company or broker) they all deny it and say i am only covered for theft or if it is completely written off(not covered for any other damage).

So i don't know, though they have confirmed that the info on the website applies to bikes and cars.

Though I have just returned from the meeting with the police and the other driver anyway......seemingly was I not only lucky with injuries, but lucky that i seem to have hit the nicest girl in Thailand.

She was happy just to let the insurance companies fight over who was paying as her company has already organised to fix it(i may have to pay them back eventually) and she shopped around to find somewhere that would fix it for 12k. So worst case scenario i am up for 12k.

In addition to that, I found out further information about what happened and she could have gone a long way to saving my life by her actions, so I offered to 10k cash to say thank that she turned down.....she just wanted the towing fee(1100 baht)

So i am feeling extemely luck and grateful considering some of the horror stories you hear

It's quite normal for shops to sell you theft only policies, especially Honda. I have bought a new Honda before as has a friend of mine. We were both offered the 'theft only' policy and it was made clear that it was 'theft only'. We both turned it down and arranged our own 1st class policies.

I guess many foreigners don't really understand sometimes what they are actually getting due to the language barrier.

I'm afraid that you are now liable for the damages to her vehicle, which luckily isn't a huge amount.

You may want to inquire with your compulsory insurance as you were in hospital. This insurance may cover some of the medical costs incurred while in hospital.

It's quite normal for shops to sell you theft only policies, especially Honda. I have bought a new Honda before as has a friend of mine. We were both offered the 'theft only' policy and it was made clear that it was 'theft only'. We both turned it down and arranged our own 1st class policies.

I guess many foreigners don't really understand sometimes what they are actually getting due to the language barrier.

I'm afraid that you are now liable for the damages to her vehicle, which luckily isn't a huge amount.

You may want to inquire with your compulsory insurance as you were in hospital. This insurance may cover some of the medical costs incurred while in hospital.

Yeah my compulsory insurance have covered that, I was taken to Bang Lamung so the bill was only 9K and that insurance covers it up to 15k....so all in all not the worst outcome given me initial fears.

I'll only be up for about 12k for her and whatever the bike costs to fix....though the fractured eye socket has taken away my looks somewhat :)

Yeah my compulsory insurance have covered that, I was taken to Bang Lamung so the bill was only 9K and that insurance covers it up to 15k....so all in all not the worst outcome given me initial fears.

I'll only be up for about 12k for her and whatever the bike costs to fix....though the fractured eye socket has taken away my looks somewhat smile.png

Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Good to hear that you are relatively ok. Perhaps your next investment should be a full-face helmet.

It likely would have prevented your fractured eye-socket. I personally, never leave home without one.

I'll only be up for about 12k for her and whatever the bike costs to fix....though the fractured eye socket has taken away my looks somewhat smile.png

Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Good to hear that you are relatively ok. Perhaps your next investment should be a full-face helmet.

It likely would have prevented your fractured eye-socket. I personally, never leave home without one.

At the risk of looking increasingly stupid(and losing any sympathy I may have had)....... I have been riding since i was old enough(about 17 years) and have always been anally retentive about safety gear, even going so far as to have a full face helmet for my PCX.

However, for some inexplicable reason after I picked up my kebab I left it locked under my seat(probably cos I thought the ride home was only a couple of k's and I was lazy)....So I do have the helmet, do care about safety....but on this particular occasion laziness/stupidity won out.

What makes it even worse is that besides injuries to my head, the only other injury is a cracked rib(no road rash or anything), so if I had worn it I would pretty much be unscathed.