Chiang Mai prisons?

MickeyMaow

For years I always thought that the prison in the old city was the women's prison and the prison out in Mae Rim was the men's prison, but I now know that's the other way around.

Ahyhoo I believe there is a new provincial prison in Chiang Mai, just curious to where it is?

How many other prisons are there? Is there a juvenile prison here too?

Edited by MickeyMaow

there is no prison in the city. the prison on the Mae Rim Road is the women's correctional center (used to be the men's). they built a new men's correctional center in Mae Taeng? i believe. the old women's prison in the city was vacated years ago and is partially demolished last time i passed by, and the land is the subject of a big lawsuit.

A couple of years (or so ) ago, they moved the prisoners out of the female prison to the rear of the Three Kings Monument and had an open weekend where you could go inside and and check out "the facilities".

there is no prison in the city. the prison on the Mae Rim Road is the women's correctional center (used to be the men's). they built a new men's correctional center in Mae Taeng? i believe. the old women's prison in the city was vacated years ago and is partially demolished last time i passed by, and the land is the subject of a big lawsuit.

any details?

I thought all of the land from the old court house down to the prison was government land. I also heard that plots had been sold over time by members of the Chet Ton dynastic line and their descendants.

I remember looking at a piece of land (old wooden house) that was on around 140+ TW on the perimeter road at the side around the time the prison was closing. I could see that eventually the prison (land) would be developed and a plot that size in the centre of the city would then sell at a premium. This was before China arrived.

any details?

I thought all of the land from the old court house down to the prison was government land. I also heard that plots had been sold over time by members of the Chet Ton dynastic line and their descendants.

I remember looking at a piece of land (old wooden house) that was on around 140+ TW on the perimeter road at the side around the time the prison was closing. I could see that eventually the prison (land) would be developed and a plot that size in the centre of the city would then sell at a premium. This was before China arrived.

i think there was a piece in City Life a few years ago? also a number of Thai language articles. i don't recall the details of the lawsuit other than it was heavily contested/litigated.

I drove by the old womens prison yesterday and there are large posters along one side showing renditions of a new public park they will be building there. I will confess, I am very disappointed because I was really hoping for more condos and a shopping mall.

I drove by the old womens prison yesterday and there are large posters along one side showing renditions of a new public park they will be building there. I will confess, I am very disappointed because I was really hoping for more condos and a shopping mall.

I was hoping for another Toyota dealer

I do not know wwhat I will do next time I go to Chiang Mai. I alwaysh used to get a good massage from the prisoners there...and had a meal cooked by people who could have slipped anything into the food before they ended up in jail.