Nationwide Building Society Laptop Theft

mrbojangles

Firstly, put this in Gen topics but Mods can put it news if you think more suitable.

Secondly, Thai related due to the fact many people (from UK) use Nationwide Flex Account, specifically as they don't charge for cash withdrawls abroad (myself included) :o Keep a close eye on your accounts.

The FSA is investigating Theft Puts Millions At Risk

Updated: 09:58, Saturday November 18, 2006

A security lapse by Nationwide Building Society may have put 11 million customers at risk of identity theft.

The Financial Services Authority is investigating the incident after an employee's laptop was stolen, containing sensitive customer account information.

The computer was taken during a domestic burglary in August, but details are only now coming to light.

Nationwide confirmed the laptop held customer information.

However, the building society has insisted the laptop did not include pin numbers, passwords or information about financial transactions.

The building society is writing to all of its 11 million customers about the importance of security.

Nationwide's chief executive Philip Williamson tried to allay fears, saying: "The reason we didn't let customers know about this incident earlier is we didn't wish to create undue anxiety.

"There is no chance of any customer suffering any financial loss on their accounts as a result of this."

From sky news http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,300...3552768,00.html

"There is no chance of any customer suffering any financial loss on their accounts as a result of this."

It is generally recommended to change one’s password periodically, and while not doubting the bank's assurance account holders may want to change the password at this time.

---------------

Maestro

Hope the thief is caught quickly. Also, here's hoping that the thief's only interested in the monetary value of the actual machine rather than the data inside and does something stupid like erasing the datas securely before trying to resell it. :o

Just to let you know, I edited the title to include the full name as it makes it a bit clearer that it isn't a 'nationwide laptop theft' but a laptop theft from Nationwide :D

Cheers sbk :D

Hope the thief is caught quickly. Also, here's hoping that the thief's only interested in the monetary value of the actual machine rather than the data inside and does something stupid like erasing the datas securely before trying to resell it. :D

With the theft happening in august, i fear they have got away Scott free :o

I know they don't have access to pin numbers etc but i always shred my statements etc, as identity theft can be easily attained from looking in your rubbish/garbage. It took a mate of mine, 2 years to clean up the mess after his identity was stolen and that is what makes this very worrying. I just hope the thiefs didn't know what they had stolen :D