Thai people are weird!

When you grow up and live in a culture, you don't notice the strange stuff. But when you go away, you start to notice how strange some things really are.

For instance, what would you say to the depiction of a man being very painfully tortured to death with lots of blood and gore being depicted on the wall where children can see it? And I am not talking about a painting - I am talking about a sculpture. How about it being put specifically on the wall of a classroom and the attention of very young children being directed towards it?

Well, this is the basis of Christianity - Catholics do the full Jesus on the cross depiction and admittedly, some other denominations just have the cross. As soon as I could be brought to church (when I was about 3 years old), it was made clear what the cross meant, with or without the man being hung by his hands and feet which are nailed to the cross with thorns around his head and a bleeding wound in his stomach.

I went to a Catholic school and just inside the entrance directly facing the children as they entered were life-size depictions of the Virgin Mary crushing the head of a serpent (supposed to be the devil). I started going to that school when I was 6 years old.

The odd thing about such depictions or behaviours is that they become part of the background very quickly - children are especially quick to absorb them and treat them as part of the furniture.

I have travelled a lot through a large number of countries and I have never seen anything so disturbing as the Catholic Jesus on the Cross being depicted everywhere, especially where children could see it.

When I was drinking I noticed a few of the "locals" back home would get very "chatty" and friendly after a few drinks went down in the pub. Soon after that would put the hammer on me (ask for a lend of money)

.....I think this meant they were accepting me as one of their own....would you agree?

When you grow up and live in a culture, you don't notice the strange stuff. But when you go away, you start to notice how strange some things really are.

For instance, what would you say to the depiction of a man being very painfully tortured to death with lots of blood and gore being depicted on the wall where children can see it? And I am not talking about a painting - I am talking about a sculpture. How about it being put specifically on the wall of a classroom and the attention of very young children being directed towards it?

Well, this is the basis of Christianity - Catholics do the full Jesus on the cross depiction and admittedly, some other denominations just have the cross. As soon as I could be brought to church (when I was about 3 years old), it was made clear what the cross meant, with or without the man being hung by his hands and feet which are nailed to the cross with thorns around his head and a bleeding wound in his stomach.

I went to a Catholic school and just inside the entrance directly facing the children as they entered were life-size depictions of the Virgin Mary crushing the head of a serpent (supposed to be the devil). I started going to that school when I was 6 years old.

The odd thing about such depictions or behaviours is that they become part of the background very quickly - children are especially quick to absorb them and treat them as part of the furniture.

I have travelled a lot through a large number of countries and I have never seen anything so disturbing as the Catholic Jesus on the Cross being depicted everywhere, especially where children could see it.

My Jewish ex wife told me she thought INRI meant I'm nailed right in

My Jewish ex wife told me she thought INRI meant I'm nailed right in

Good one. What about that drinking of blood and eating the flesh thing then, that's downright cannibalism innit? And people actually queue for it.

no Farang is supposed to WAI. Thais having a good laugh seeing Farangs WAIing.

Particularly as Farangs don't have a clue about the different ways to perform a WAI (according to the status of the other person).

I have seen Farangs WAIing waiters, bellboys and street side food vendors, how ridiculous. The Thais around did only giggle or walked away in embarrassment.

I can give you the name and contact of an excellent Thai language and culture teacher in Chiang Mai, who taught embassy staff and peace corps and others not only the language, but how to behave in Thai culture as a foreigner too. And he simply needed two words: "DON'T WAI"...... unless you are 100% part of this society since ages (there are admittedly a few such people that I know, but even they almost never WAI) Just in case you don't believe me

Correct . I cringe when I see foreigners waiing all over the place. It's as stupid as a visitor to England getting on a bus and shaking hands with everybody. It is an innapropriate use of a common greeting.

I don't get why people say this stuff makes them cringe. We were all new here once. Are you saying you've become so Thai that it offends your cultural sensibilities?

Ho hum. Cringing is not a controllable act. It's a kind of reflex arc. I also cringe when I see a western adult playing with kids' toys - such as riding a bycycle.

Edited by The manic

To Wai or Not to Wai... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/810311-to-wai-or-not-to-wai-that-is-the-question/

Yep... that topic has been thrown around, ripped apart, hacked to death and hashed up numerous times... so in the interests of not derailing this thread I'll leave the 'wai discussion' to other threads...

------

Back on Topic - Pointing... In the UK we point with our index finger, but are also taught its rude to point at people, thus we've developed a subtle 'glance' when in conversation to draw the attention of the item we are referring to or the person we are 'gossiping about'...

Many Thai's point with their lips... I find it hilarious...

Saw this on the net

It’s a Thai superstition that whistling at night is bad luck – you’re calling spirits! It may no longer be a big deal to some, but you’ll notice many people becoming uneasy if a whistle is heard after dark.

I usually whistle when I wake up. So I'm not going to get in trouble there.

As for that naughty couple in Phi Phi yesterday, I also saw this:-

Make out – When in Rome you may make out on the street, but when in Thailand you shouldn’t touch tongues. You’ll notice that Thais often don’t even hold hands or hug in public, so any kissing or extra closeness is out of the question. It’s okay to sneak a little peck in here or there, but keep it rated PG.

Maybe buy a travel guide before you come?

If any American tries to slap me on the butt, I'll give him a smack across the chops. On the other hand I don't mind a gentle Italian pinch from time to time.

What does irritate me intensely and I just cannot get used to it, is the French habit of kissing every Dick,Tom and Harry. Even if they are meeting them for the first time. You go to the Post Office, bank or any work place and you will see all the employees have a general kiss around, before they start work. It gives me the trey bits.

..may as well sniff each others bottoms and be done with it.

The American bear hugs are weird too. Too gay for my taste. Not to mention something like Honecker & Brezhnev. Nope. I'd rather stick to my socially proven practice of jumping naked from a sauna to a hole in a frozen lake.

Edited by DrTuner

Particularly as Farangs don't have a clue about the different ways to perform a WAI (according to the status of the other person).

I have seen Farangs WAIing waiters, bellboys and street side food vendors, how ridiculous. The Thais around did only giggle or walked away in embarrassment.

I can give you the name and contact of an excellent Thai language and culture teacher in Chiang Mai, who taught embassy staff and peace corps and others not only the language, but how to behave in Thai culture as a foreigner too. And he simply needed two words: "DON'T WAI"...... unless you are 100% part of this society since ages (there are admittedly a few such people that I know, but even they almost never WAI) Just in case you don't believe me

I WAI .Never had a problem with it. Have more problems with trying the Western handshake. The Wai is not exclusive to Thailand except by name.

But naturally it is important to only wai appropriately. And that is to people who wai you. Attempting to iniate a wai is the most common mistake for non Thai.

Refusing to acknowledge a wai is also a mistake as is refusing a handshake. The Wai is a formal expression that has many meanings including ingratiation, respect or just plain recognition of presence. For those that are offered a Wai but do not feel confident about a correct reply then a slowish lowering of the head with a smile will suffice especially if from much younger people.

Thai do not wai everybody either. It is reserved for appropriate situations.

When I was drinking I noticed a few of the "locals" back home would get very "chatty" and friendly after a few drinks went down in the pub. Soon after that would put the hammer on me (ask for a lend of money)

.....I think this meant they were accepting me as one of their own....would you agree?

No . It meant that they were drunk enough to have the temerity to ask you to give them eternal credit because they were drunk enough to assume you were also drunk and brainless !cheesy.gif

Where in the world is it actually any different?

Why do male farang often walk around public with no shirt on?

Why do female farang often walk around the street barefoot, especially on airplanes?

Both are often disgusting, especially the latter not to mention when entering the bathroom.

...and particularly disgusting guzzling out of a long-neck as they ponce about the markets..

"You made the mess, you clean it up."

This is the culture I have witnessed personally in Thailand. Especially at work.

Another is:-

"I have a great idea boss, why don't we do this..." turns into,

"Yes, but let's do it like this, then like this" the boss says until it's their idea and nothing like your idea.

One more is:-

Interrupting you when your talking. Higher status can interrupt. Bloody annoying.

So funny, I guess you didn't read or hear when Taksin bought Manchester City team and he got very upset when the players wouldn't wai him.......no falang should ever wai whistling.gif