Renewal of Retirement Visa

I live in Phuket and my retirement visa expires soon. I am currently on holiday and have been in hospital and will not be back until 5 days after my visa expires. I am not allowed to travel on the date that I had originally booked which would have got me back in time. Can I still renew my visa? or what do I have to do.

I assume you have a extension stay based upon retirement you got at an immigration office not a visa.

If you enter the country after it expires you will have to start all over again and will get a 30 day visa exempt entry when you enter the country.

• 5 months later...
On 7/20/2016 at 5:21 PM, ubonjoe said:

I assume you have a extension stay based upon retirement you got at an immigration office not a visa.

If you enter the country after it expires you will have to start all over again and will get a 30 day visa exempt entry when you enter the country.

I am here and my and my  retirement visa is valid until the 27th of this month. 

I was thinking of going to Langkawi ,Malaysia  for a few days - a few days before it expires- since I've never been there before.

So then  when I come back I won't need a re-entry permit. I am guessing I will  just get the 30 days and then just go and re-submit the application for a new retirement visa?

6 hours ago, taiwanatoa said:

I was thinking of going to Langkawi ,Malaysia  for a few days - a few days before it expires- since I've never been there before.

So then  when I come back I won't need a re-entry permit. I am guessing I will  just get the 30 days and then just go and re-submit the application for a new retirement visa?

Not sure what you have. If you actually had a OA long stay visa based upon retirement from an embassy or consulate you would get a new one year entry it you entered on or before the date it expires.

If on an extension of stay done by immigration it will end if you enter without a re-entry permit or after the re-entry permit expires.

You would not be able to apply for an extension based upon retirement with a 30 day visa exempt entry. You would first need to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry to apply for the extension.

I don't know what  "a OA long stay visa based upon retirement " means.  I have  a  retirement visa that I need to re-new every year like everyone else who has one.  No one simply  gets " a new one year entry ".  I have to  go get  my proof of bank assets from the U.S. Embassy and then  go to Thai Immigration  to apply  again every year. I was just thinking that if I leave the country a few days before the end that I can just  re-enter with the visa-free 30 day permit and then a few weeks later I will go and  get a new retirement visa again, so that way I wouldn't need to get  a re-entry permit since my year is up.

I don't know what  "a OA long stay visa based upon retirement " means.  I have  a  retirement visa that I need to re-new every year like everyone else who has one.  No one simply  gets " a new one year entry ".  I have to  go get  my proof of bank assets from the U.S. Embassy and then  go to Thai Immigration  to apply  again every year. I was just thinking that if I leave the country a few days before the end that I can just  re-enter with the visa-free 30 day permit and then a few weeks later I will go and  get a new retirement visa again, so that way I wouldn't need to get  a re-entry permit since my year is up.

You do not have a visa. You have a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

If you enter and get a 30 day visa exempt entry you will have 15 days to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry and pay a 2000 baht fee for it. Not all immigration offices can accept the application and it requires 2 trips15 days apart to immigration to get the visa/entry stamps. You will need to prove your income when you apply.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you will be able to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

you will save yourself a lot of hassle getting it done before you leave the country, if you don't and let it expire you will have to start from scratch (as if you never had one)

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 5:12 PM, Bobbydog said:

I live in Phuket and my retirement visa expires soon. I am currently on holiday and have been in hospital and will not be back until 5 days after my visa expires. I am not allowed to travel on the date that I had originally booked which would have got me back in time. Can I still renew my visa? or what do I have to do.

holiday where, if you went back home to your own country then best to get a 90 single entry type O visa before you come back to Thailand, if in another country you still be able to get a 90 day type O depending on where and your own situation

also if you feel well enough why not just travel, nobody at the airport is aware that a doctor advised you not to travel then you can just renew as normal

Edited by smedly

On 1/7/2017 at 1:12 AM, taiwanatoa said:

Why not return to Thailand from Langkawi via Penang and pick up a new non-O visa from the Royal Thai Consulate there if, indeed, it is another visa that you want?:smile:

Edited by OJAS

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2017 at 7:39 AM, ubonjoe said:

You do not have a visa. You have a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

If you enter and get a 30 day visa exempt entry you will have 15 days to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry and pay a 2000 baht fee for it. Not all immigration offices can accept the application and it requires 2 trips15 days apart to immigration to get the visa/entry stamps. You will need to prove your income when you apply.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you will be able to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

Yes, it is a retirement visa actually. Any way I re-newed it and didn't leave

57 minutes ago, taiwanatoa said:

Yes, it is a retirement visa actually. Any way I re-newed it and didn't leave

Actually, it is not a visa, it is a one year extension of stay.  I'm a Yank and have lived here for 19 years.  The last visa that I obtained was in 2003 because I screwed up my qualifying bank funds.  I am now on my eighth retirement extension which I obtain every year at immigration with an Income Affidavit from the US Embassy.

Unless you are converting a recent entry to a visa for marriage on retirement purposes, all visa are issued by Thai consulate/Embassies outside of Thailand.  Once you have a visa you extend your permission to stay, you do not renew your visa.  Terminology, I know, but that's how it works!

• Like 1

Not to be picky but when you have an extension based on retirement it is wise to get at least a single entry reentry permit for 1000 Baht just in case you must leave and re-enter Thailand.

The re-entry permit stays valid for the same one year period as your retirement extension/visa.

Even if you do not use it during that one year period, it is cheap insurance if needed unexpectedly in case you need to exit Thailand and return.