With structural pillars repaired, Jungceylon aims to re-open Port Area next week

webfact

@ stevenl

"since Thais always deliver subpar work and can't be trusted" - well, the original construction was certainly not up to the appropriate standard.

What makes you so confident the repair work was to an appropriate standard?

Nail on the head .... there is zero accountability ... money rules and safety goes out the window ...

@ stevenl

"since Thais always deliver subpar work and can't be trusted" - well, the original construction was certainly not up to the appropriate standard.

Nail on the head .... there is zero accountability ... money rules and safety goes out the window ...

Sure, but no one expects such a dangerous construction for a multi-level shopping center.

Just how far do they want to stretch a baht here, before there are mass fatalities and casualties?

It's a disgrace.

@ stevenl

LiK quoted your post, otherwise I would not have seen it. Don't think I'd have missed much, unless you can point me to the text where i said that the repair work was done to an apprpriate standard.

if it were the companies that repaired/maintain the Melbourne Wheel, and the London Wheel, then there might be more confidence in the results for the LOS Pillars repair.

(Just ignore that the actual builders of the Melbourne Wheel were themselves underpar...)

...and I'll never forget the time Terminal 2 at KL Int'l came down

just what is it - about pillar builders???

Edited by tifino

@ stevenl

LiK quoted your post, otherwise I would not have seen it. Don't think I'd have missed much, unless you can point me to the text where i said that the repair work was done to an apprpriate standard.

The main thing is you have seen my post. :)

Whilst no one can guarantee to this forum the repairs were, or were not done correctly, what we do know is, the original construction was not.

So, this alone, does not instill a lot of faith in ANY repair work that may, or may not have taken place.

@ billythehat

"Somebody clearly knows" - possibly, but whether or not they want the public to know the truth, is a different question.

Agreed. There will be considerable financial pressures to reopen that area in the shortest possible time. If the columns have been patched using jacket systems, subsequent testing and monitoring of the reinstated items will be essential to check that the designed loadings have be accommodated. It cannot be hurried.

It seems like the repair work was all done "under the cover of darkness". If they were doing a proper job then surely it would have made sense to invite the media & independent engineers to review the progress which would give more confidence to the public.

It seems like the repair work was all done "under the cover of darkness". If they were doing a proper job then surely it would have made sense to invite the media & independent engineers to review the progress which would give more confidence to the public.

Anyone with a brain knows that this so called repair is just a sham - nonsense - just lip service ...

Good point Valentine. If it was done above board and everything passed some sort of international tests, there would be a photo op with anyone and everyone in on it and maybe even some photos of the work done. However, when it is just declared all good, I think a few of us have some doubts.

Now there's a surprise.

“Our lead engineer cannot pinpoint what caused the damage, but he said there are many factors that may be responsible for this."

How the hell can you properly repair something if you don't know what caused it?!

http://www.thephuketnews.com/jungceylon-final-inspection-postponed-58447.php#jDYK7dumPgHrwG9e.97

Edited by phuketandsee