Documents required by Penang for non-O based on age?

Just a heads up.

I am currently in Penang for Non O based on retirement.

Thought I had covered all bases regarding documents: Copy passport, copy bank book, proof of address, another bank book showing funds to live on, letters addressed to me, copy house paper. Even a letter from the bank.

But just been refused a Non O. They require a letter from the embassy in BKK for "proof of funds" or "proof  of retirement".

Giving me a 60 day Tourist visa instead.

Was going to go and see Jim at Jim's Place, but probably too late now they are issuing a visa.

Can anyone explain the process, requirements for this letter please? I don't receive a pension, but live on my savings.

What was your basis for funds - (1) a deposit of 800K+ OR (2) income of 65K per month OR (3) a combination of both?

(1) requires certification by bank letter

(2) requires certification by an Affidavit from your Embassy

(3) requires both a bank certification AND an Affidavit.

Edited by Evilbaz

2 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

What was your basis for funds - (1) a deposit of 800K+ OR (2) income of 65K per month OR (3) a combination of both?

(1) requires certification by bank letter

(2) requires certification by an Affidavit from your Embassy

(3) requires both a bank certification AND an Affidavit.

He was using 800k baht in a Thai bank to apply for non-o visa at the consulate in Penang.

22 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Just a heads up.

I am currently in Penang for Non O based on retirement.

Thought I had covered all bases regarding documents: Copy passport, copy bank book, proof of address, another bank book showing funds to live on, letters addressed to me, copy house paper. Even a letter from the bank.

But just been refused a Non O. They require a letter from the embassy in BKK for "proof of funds" or "proof  of retirement".

Giving me a 60 day Tourist visa instead.

Was going to go and see Jim at Jim's Place, but probably too late now they are issuing a visa.

Can anyone explain the process, requirements for this letter please? I don't receive a pension, but live on my savings.

The letter confirming retirement form the embassy would probably not be possible unless they would let you do it as a statement. 

If you can show a bank account in the UK where you move funds into on a regular basis you should be able to get an income letter from the embassy by mail. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The letter confirming retirement form the embassy would probably not be possible unless they would let you do it as a statement. 

If you can show a bank account in the UK where you move funds into on a regular basis you should be able to get an income letter from the embassy by mail. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

I have built up funds in my Thai bank accounts over the years by depositing any unspent cash or travellers chequers, so to date have not needed to send money. At a bit of a loss what to do really. Don't want to send more money as have sufficient here already.

Might have to look at the Elite, but didn't really want to go that route st this point.

Would the requirements be the same at other consulates in the region?

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

I have built up funds in my Thai bank accounts over the years by depositing any unspent cash or travellers chequers, so to date have not needed to send money. At a bit of a loss what to do really. Don't want to send more money as have sufficient here already.

Might have to look at the Elite, but didn't really want to go that route st this point.

Would the requirements be the same at other consulates in the region?

Vientiane is not asking for the letter from the embassy. Just your bank book and the letter from the bank (new requirement).

You fly direct to Vientiane from Bangkok or fly to Udon Thani and take a van from the airport to the bridge in Nong Khai to cross over to Vientiane.

Thanks Joe.

I will probably try that when this next Tourist visa runs out.

I went and spoke to Jim at Jim's Place. He said they have been asking for this for a couple of months now.

Edited by phetphet
Added text

On 7/22/2016 at 4:15 PM, thaitanic said:

Thanks again. Will probably apply in person unless it's highly recommended to use an agent.

My Thai girlfriend can be my "Guarantor in Thailand", but what to write in "Name and Address of Local Guarantor"?

And for non-O based on age, should I tick "Tourism" or "Other" and write "Retirement"?

FYI~ Thailand is a Kingdom. Traditionally there is no way a Thai female can possibly be the "Guarantor" for a foreign male. I suggest that you consult with a Thai Immigration Lawyer, prior to proceeding with that misguided notion.

10 minutes ago, NativeSon360 said:

FYI~ Thailand is a Kingdom. Traditionally there is no way a Thai female can possibly be the "Guarantor" for a foreign male. I suggest that you consult with a Thai Immigration Lawyer, prior to proceeding with that misguided notion.

That is not correct. Women have the same rights as men. That was changed in the 1997 constitution.

My wife has been my guarantor when I opened a bank account.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct. Women have the same rights as men. That was changed in the 1997 constitution.

My wife has been my guarantor when I opened a bank account.

Then I stand corrected. Thank you, :wai:

Edited by NativeSon360

10 hours ago, phetphet said:

That's bad luck. But that is what they told me when I phoned them from Bangkok, and why I changed my mind and decided to re-enter Thailand without a visa and to get a non-O in Bangkok. Glad I did, as the process seems to be going OK so far. I would look into that route first before splashing out on the Elite program.

The trouble is, I cannot get proof that the funds came from outside as I have been paying leftover money from many trips into my bank account.

Also, doing two trips from Samui to BKK is expensive (Bangkok Air). Already wasted over £500 on this trip to Penang. Plus MYR150 on an unexpected Tourist visa.

I need to double check if the bank letter requirement from Vientiane is just proof of funds, or proof funds came from outside Thailand. If the latter I will just go for one of the TE visas. 

All I can think of is you transfer >800k Baht out of Thailand, then back into Thailand to a different account, and use a currency exchange service that gives you a proper contract document which you can use as evidence of the money coming from overseas, along with the Thailand bank's credit advice, if you can get it. You can always do the sea/land route from Samui to Bkk. Not much fun though.

10 hours ago, phetphet said:

The trouble is, I cannot get proof that the funds came from outside as I have been paying leftover money from many trips into my bank account.

Also, doing two trips from Samui to BKK is expensive (Bangkok Air). Already wasted over £500 on this trip to Penang. Plus MYR150 on an unexpected Tourist visa.

I need to double check if the bank letter requirement from Vientiane is just proof of funds, or proof funds came from outside Thailand. If the latter I will just go for one of the TE visas. 

You only need the standard letter confirming your account and balance. No need to prove the funds came from abroad.

Immigration want the confirmation it came from abroad to apply for a visa because the money does not have to be in the bank for 60 days to do it. They want that to prevent people from borrowing the money just to apply for the visa. In Vientiane they are aware you have to wait to apply for the extension so don't ask for it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You only need the standard letter confirming your account and balance. No need to prove the funds came from abroad.

Immigration want the confirmation it came from abroad to apply for a visa because the money does not have to be in the bank for 60 days to do it. They want that to prevent people from borrowing the money just to apply for the visa. In Vientiane they are aware you have to wait to apply for the extension so don't ask for it.

Thanks yet again ubonjoe. You are a mine of information. Looks like Vientiane it is in 60 days.

I presume that like Penang, it is drop off one morning and pick up some time next day. Is that correct.

8 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Thanks yet again ubonjoe. You are a mine of information. Looks like Vientiane it is in 60 days.

I presume that like Penang, it is drop off one morning and pick up some time next day. Is that correct.

Apply before 11:30 the morning of one day and pickup the next afternoon at 13:30.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having read in another thread about the problems someone had due to the current THB/GBP ROE, I just want to check my status.

Background: I had had a retirement extension based on 800k in the bank for six years but foolishly left without a re-entry permit so am starting from scratch. I still have over 800k in the bank, topped up with 400k from overseas a few months ago. I also have a pension of GBP17k p.a, paid annually, which now equates to less than THB800,000.

Obviously as a combination I qualify with no problems. I shall get the Embassy letter confirming my UK pension. I'll also get a bank letter confirming my balance. Will I need anything else? Proof of funds coming from overseas, for example? If so would that proof of overseas income only need to be sufficient to top up the shortfall due to ROEs?

I've booked to Penang in four weeks so plenty of time to get what I need but I want to be armed with everything I might possibly need.

7 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Having read in another thread about the problems someone had due to the current THB/GBP ROE, I just want to check my status.

Background: I had had a retirement extension based on 800k in the bank for six years but foolishly left without a re-entry permit so am starting from scratch. I still have over 800k in the bank, topped up with 400k from overseas a few months ago. I also have a pension of GBP17k p.a, paid annually, which now equates to less than THB800,000.

Obviously as a combination I qualify with no problems. I shall get the Embassy letter confirming my UK pension. I'll also get a bank letter confirming my balance. Will I need anything else? Proof of funds coming from overseas, for example? If so would that proof of overseas income only need to be sufficient to top up the shortfall due to ROEs?

I've booked to Penang in four weeks so plenty of time to get what I need but I want to be armed with everything I might possibly need.

If you have 800k baht or more in the bank for 60 days you do not need a letter to prove your income.

You only need to show the income if you want to combine income and money in the bank to reach a total of 800k baht.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have 800k baht or more in the bank for 60 days you do not need a letter to prove your income.

You only need to show the income if you want to combine income and money in the bank to reach a total of 800k baht.

OK, but what about the proof of retirement or proof of funds from overseas letter that's mentioned above? Or is this negated if you've had the funds for over 60 days, which I have?

You will probably not need certain things as requirements......but there are items that, if you can get them, may be of good benefit to you.

if you do get a government pension, having that bankbook as a record of monrhly deposits from outside of Thailand could be of use if asked for proof.

Each time you make a deposit into your Thai bank account the amount, date, and a code are printed into your bank passbook by compter printout.

The code FFT or FFT is often used by Thai banks to indicate a Foriegn Funds Transfer(funds coming into Thailand from outside of Thailand)

Although it may not be a rquirement, a passbook with a record of monthly FTT or FFT  transfers listed there won't hurt you and may be exaactly what immigration wants to see.

Most experienced immigration officers know exactly what that FFT code means in your bank passbook every month.

They know how to read your bankbook,

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

6 minutes ago, madmitch said:

OK, but what about the proof of retirement or proof of funds from overseas letter that's mentioned above? Or is this negated if you've had the funds for over 60 days, which I have?

I thought you were asking about the extension of stay application.

If you are asking about getting the non-o visa then anything to prove you are retired would work.I would think just proof of you pension would be enough without having to get the income letter.