"maxi-scooters" In Thailand?

Sam Drucker

I've searched the forum but haven't found an answer to this one . . .

I'm used to riding a larger scooter/bike than what is typical in Thailand. (not huge; just larger. 250cc) I have not seen any 250-650cc "maxiscooters" for sale at dealerships.

I have also heard about tariffs on imports, and also limits on engine size.

As I have also seen large Harley choppers here, whatever governmental limitations on the marketplace must not be absolute.

Can anyone give an overview on the Thai Motorcycle/scooter industry and marketplace?

1) What makes and models are produced in Thailand?

2) What size limitations are there, and why?

3) How severe is the tariff situation for imports?

If the bike is over 150cc, and therefore not made locally, it costs a fortune to register (I think only the once) and therefore there aren't many legal big bikes.

Lots of the bigger bikes are (dare I say it) stolen abroad, stripped, imported in bits and then illegally registered as a smaller bike.

Unless you live in the North and have access to nice weather and decent roads, anything too big isn't worth the bother. Small bikes can go the wrong way up any road, turn on a sixpence, be parked anywhere and you don't feel as much need for heavy and hot protective clothing as you would on something faster.

If the bike is over 150cc, and therefore not made locally, it costs a fortune to register (I think only the once) and therefore there aren't many legal big bikes.

Lots of the bigger bikes are (dare I say it) stolen abroad, stripped, imported in bits and then illegally registered as a smaller bike.

Unless you live in the North and have access to nice weather and decent roads, anything too big isn't worth the bother. Small bikes can go the wrong way up any road, turn on a sixpence, be parked anywhere and you don't feel as much need for heavy and hot protective clothing as you would on something faster.

What is the reasoning for the 150cc limitation on Thai-produced bikes?

Is the huge cost to register due to a bike being larger than 150cc, or being a foreign import?

What kind of money are we talking to register a foreign and/or large bike?

Is there a formula for determining the amount?

Which bikes are produced in Thailand? Anything besides Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki?

I've searched the forum but haven't found an answer to this one . . .

I'm used to riding a larger scooter/bike than what is typical in Thailand. (not huge; just larger. 250cc) I have not seen any 250-650cc "maxiscooters" for sale at dealerships.

I have also heard about tariffs on imports, and also limits on engine size.

As I have also seen large Harley choppers here, whatever governmental limitations on the marketplace must not be absolute.

Can anyone give an overview on the Thai Motorcycle/scooter industry and marketplace?

1) What makes and models are produced in Thailand?

2) What size limitations are there, and why?

3) How severe is the tariff situation for imports?

Go to www.mocyc.com I've seen 250cc maxi scooters. Registration costs for 250 would be about 30,000bht. Harleys are about 80,000bht. I would figure at least 80% of HDs are legal.

I just haven't seen any Suzuki Burgmans (that go up to around 650cc) or the new Honda Silver Wing scooter. No demand for them.

This is a developing country, and the biggest bike made here is the 200 Honda Phantom (and the Tiger 200 police bike). After that, they try to get a pickup. I'm still waiting for a bigger, Thai Honda CBR200 or 250, but I doubt they'll make one soon.

I just haven't seen any Suzuki Burgmans (that go up to around 650cc) or the new Honda Silver Wing scooter. No demand for them.

I haven't seen any bikes especially built for three armed people. Must be no demand for them.

The maxis scooter craze is taking off on Thailand.

The main grey importer of them from Japan has now stopped importing 250cc and brings in 400cc +

Parts are available, if not they are a two week order away at most.

I have a Majesty 250cc in my garage just now for sale. Belongs to a friend. It's tatty, needs a new clutch bearing but other wise is fine and has completed three trips in the last month plus about town use,

The advice given to me by the importer was if you do buy one look for one which is a bit tatty. It's more likely to have been sold because it was dropped. There has been a problem with the really nice looking bikes having a broken engines; why they look really nice cause they can't be used.,

If you live in BKK you can join the big scooter club there and race around the streets with your TV's on your bikes.

Edited by mraitchison

I have to agree that I think there is a market for maxi-scooters in Thailand; probably initially more with farangs, but I think some Thais would jump onboard too.

I reside in the USA, but am planning on moving to Thailand next year. I have a Kymco People 250 in the USA that I am quite fond of. I realize it would probably be easier to sell the bike and purchase something similar in Thailand, but I just have not seen anything like it for sale in Thailand. Kymco (out of Taiwan) apparently does not have any dealers in Thailand (although I did see on their website a listing for a dealer in Cambodia).

The bike has some extremely practical, utilitarian features which would be very useful for me in Thailand. Some of the features about this bike that I value are the large wheels (16"), the easy accomodation of a large storage box (Givi Top Case), the HUGE amount of storage under the seat (that's a full-size Texas watermelon in the photo), and the flat floorboard which allows ease in mounting AND carrying a shopping bag between your feet when heavily loaded. Further, it is just a bit bigger and heavier than the Thai bikes, which gives me some added comfort. Anybody seen anything available in Thailand approaching this?

post-27771-1163988747_thumb.jpgpost-27771-1163988821_thumb.jpgpost-27771-1163988858_thumb.jpgpost-27771-1163988884_thumb.jpg

The bike sells for about $4000 (new) in USA. If I could purchase something like this in Thailand, I would do that. Otherwise, I need to consider bringing it over with me next year when I ship my household goods. Any idea what kind of expense and delays I would have with Thai authorities to bring a used (2005) bike with 10,000 km on it into Thailand?

I have to agree that I think there is a market for maxi-scooters in Thailand; probably initially more with farangs, but I think some Thais would jump onboard too.

I reside in the USA, but am planning on moving to Thailand next year. I have a Kymco People 250 in the USA that I am quite fond of. I realize it would probably be easier to sell the bike and purchase something similar in Thailand, but I just have not seen anything like it for sale in Thailand. Kymco (out of Taiwan) apparently does not have any dealers in Thailand (although I did see on their website a listing for a dealer in Cambodia).

The bike has some extremely practical, utilitarian features which would be very useful for me in Thailand. Some of the features about this bike that I value are the large wheels (16"), the easy accomodation of a large storage box (Givi Top Case), the HUGE amount of storage under the seat (that's a full-size Texas watermelon in the photo), and the flat floorboard which allows ease in mounting AND carrying a shopping bag between your feet when heavily loaded. Further, it is just a bit bigger and heavier than the Thai bikes, which gives me some added comfort. Anybody seen anything available in Thailand approaching this?

post-27771-1163988747_thumb.jpgpost-27771-1163988821_thumb.jpgpost-27771-1163988858_thumb.jpgpost-27771-1163988884_thumb.jpg

The bike sells for about $4000 (new) in USA. If I could purchase something like this in Thailand, I would do that. Otherwise, I need to consider bringing it over with me next year when I ship my household goods. Any idea what kind of expense and delays I would have with Thai authorities to bring a used (2005) bike with 10,000 km on it into Thailand?

Another one thinking of bringing bike in! Forget it.

Your reply seems to indicate frustration. Please elaborate on why you feel this way so I may learn from your mistakes.

I didn't make the mistake of trying to bring in a motorbike. The frustration may come from you being the ump teenth guy who wants advice on bringing in a bike. If it was so easy why wouldn't locals or expats living here for many years bring them in? If you're still not sure on the free advice then go for it and tell us how it worked out in the end.

I didn't make the mistake of trying to bring in a motorbike. The frustration may come from you being the ump teenth guy who wants advice on bringing in a bike. If it was so easy why wouldn't locals or expats living here for many years bring them in? If you're still not sure on the free advice then go for it and tell us how it worked out in the end.

Why the sarky bitch like response then? Why not be helpful and constructive? Yet again this is a typical Thai Visa response to a question from a new member.

• Like 1

Sam, let me try to be a Texas gentleman :o and explain. Kymco doesn't legally import big scooters to Thailand, nor does anybody else. What you might find at a few special used dealers like Red Baron are used big scooters like a Burgman 400 or 650, etc., and some ace parts man in Bangkok will get you that odd part in 28 seconds or 28 months, no problem. It might be a tad more difficult to get parts and service from Tamesk Pachakasanol in rural Phitsanalouk, however.

But importing a motor vehicle to Thailand is a worse nightmare than a Texas chain saw massacre. Okay? Those who have tried bringing in rare bikes worth more than $10,000 (or at any price) have met with levels of corruption, incompetence, delays, etc., that just weren't worth the joy of having a favorite bike here.

Good luck, Sam.

• Thanks 1