Assimilation

utapaortnab

As most of the members here know, some 13 mo.+ ago, my wife Rattana and I moved/retired here to the small village of Ban Sakinam, in the suburbs Gudtum or Kudtum on some maps, some 12-15km from downtown (Muang) Chiayaphum.

It was a decision we jointly made AFTER my wife had spent some 9 1/2 years in the U.S. with only short/limited vacations back to Thailand during that time, and I felt I owed it to her to move with her to her "roots" in order for her to enjoy being with all her family, friends, neighbors. It may have been the best decision of our lives.

Although I do NOT speak Thai (even after having visited Thailand for a total of 41 trips if you count the trips in and out of Thailand since we retired here in Oct 2005), living here in Gudtum, which has a total of 17 villages with myself as the ONLY farang living full time out here in the sticks, it has NOT been a major problem for me.

We spent about half the month each month travelling to Bangkok (where we spend most of our time outside Chiayaphum), Pattaya, Korat, Udon Thani, and other locations in Thailand, and Singapore or Phnom Penh outside the Kingdom.

While here in the boondocks, my wife Lat speaks good English as does her sister Piroon and her niece Som and I have long conversations with the rest of her family and our neighbors in my native tongue and they respond with everything from answers in Thai or Thai/Lao or just nods of the head or occasionally just blank stares.

I've found that there are plusses and minuses in this arrangement. Firstly, I have not been in an arguement in 30 months...lol Secondly, I am not required to be socially brilliant in supporting any topic of conversation. On the minus side, there are times when I long for friendship/socialization in English between our frequent trips to Bangkok and beyond.

But last nite, while attending a birthday party for a niece, Angie, age 1, who is amongst my favorite of the flock of nieces/nephews and neighbor kids in our neighborhood I took the time to reflect on my presence in the "hood". I have been well acccepted by ALL our family and our neighbors. I've been made to feel at home and a part of the village at all times, never feeling like an outsider. I've been ACCEPTED here.

More so than anywhere in the 39 countries and all 50 United States I've visited. Odd perhaps but I have always thought of the Thai people and espacially those from Isaan as the friendliest people anywhere in the world.

Is it just me or do others feel the same way?

Ken Bower, Retired in Paradise

Ken do you mind me changing your post slightly, if you have a problem please PM me and I will change

Edited by bronco

My experience is pretty similar to yours in terms of being accepted....although I realize that I am accepted as the farang...my house is referred to as the farang house even though it is built in the local style.

I live in the north.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

I've traveled 49 of the 50 USA states (who wants to see Oklahoma anyway?), and over 30 countries. Isaan is the place I have felt most at home--primarily due to the welcoming and friendly attitudes of the vast majority of Isaan folk.

They win first prize for hospitality and openness of spirit. Of course, I will always be the "farang" in their midst, as mentioned by the earlier poster--but it's used in an endearing, proud way..."he's OUR farang" sort of way. That's ok. :o

I get introduced as "our Farang" to new local government officers or police commanders when they are transferred to do a stint at our Amphoe.

It makes me feel a bit like a regimental mascot, but what the heck!, who ever saw a regimental mascot that wasn't pampered!

If I go to the talad with my wife, though, I feel like a zoo exhibit when they ask her "What do you feed him on?".

Ken,

Nice story.

I married a good Issan girl 16 years ago. My first trip there was for my wedding, in a village out of Surin. I was the first Farang to go there I think, because as I got out of the 'taxi' I was surrounded by kids. I know how a goldfish in a bowl feels.

The family home was typical, and the surrounds to the house was being transformed into a wedding ceremony site: stage, 'banners' declaring love between us, tables being set up, dogs running around chasing scrawney chooks, future in-laws standing at the entrance of the house looking rather severe and threatening...(gulp).

Now, 16 years later, I am very comfortabel going there, sometimes without my darling wife: and yes, I feel like a mascot too: toaster at the ready for nam-pung-ping and vegemite (!) , coffee, electric fan at the ready on a long extention lead, offers of si-sip degree ( Mi-Taan na crap) and throat destroying family grown tobacco.

Yes, vey nice.

Don't know that I could live there though....mobile phone connectivity difficult, would miss the news of the world, no internet, hot hot hot, dust, zero English (wife speaks good English, but sometimnes wonder if the translation is complete) .

Yes, you are right, very friendly people, love it.

Cheers

collin

Ken, I agree the Issan Folk are very friendly at least in my village. I am accepted as one of them, this is partly because i consider myself one of them and participate in all their activities. Last April I was participating in a rice sack race, big mistake I blew out my Achelies (sp) Tendon and will walk with a limp the rest of my life. When I first came to the village I got Farang, Farang a lot, but now I get more George, George. My Thai is nit noi, but I still seem to get by and my family members are slowly learning English. Issan is good. Issangeorge.