Naem Isan

backtofront

I am looking for a wholesaler within striking distance of Kanchanaburi, who supplies naem isan like the ones that look like minature Christmas crackers below. I have found bigger ones in Makro. They are a chicken/pork mix and something similar at the local market which are supposedly pork only. They sell for B34 for a pack of seven.

post-252449-0-49866200-1469188737_thumb.

Edited by backtofront

• 7 months later...

I have just found a shop in U Thong that sells naem. This gives me three reasonably reliable suppliers and a mix of tastes and intensity. They also do a good (in my opinion) sai krok isan. I don't understand the local preference for good looking sausages cooked over coals which are found to be stuffed full of glass noodles and taste of little or nothing. 

those little issan sausages are tasty but hard to find...usually a person sets up at stall at the wat during the loy kratong festivities but immediately sells out...U Thong ain't far from where I live, do they sell them in the market there?

the other grilled sausages made from indeterminate ingredients are inedible...

If you head towards Kanchanaburi from the clock tower in U Thong there is a PT petrol station on the corner. Turn left immediately after and there is a shop on the left about 100 metres down. Near the 7-11. Only open in the morning and a little grumpy. They do both the sai krok isan as well as naem.

You can get a smaller naem and another big one at the Saturday market in Nong Prue . Each comes with a different intensity; sour, sourer and sourest. 

yeah...it's the sourness that makes them sausages special...the combo of ingredients makes that happen...wonder how they do that?

will havta head over to nong pru...can't get outta bed early enough for the shop in U Thong...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Afraid the Saturday market in Nong Prue is even earlier. It is also a little erratic. Sometimes and sometimes not. I could freeze and drop off in Suphan when we go to Makro for Walnuts. Alternatively you could pick up if you are doing a turn this side.