How to teach a Thai to Code

Marcoose

Hi all.

My Girlfriend's nephew is interested in learning how to code and I was wondering the best way to suggest for him to learn. To begin with I would like for him to learn HTML and CSS. If he understood English to a good level, I would recommend sites like codecademy.com and I was wondering if there were alternatives that offer explanations in Thai. Maybe it's just a case of Google translate? Anyway, if there is anyone out there who can pass over some advice, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I am an experienced developer and here are my advices :

- Learn code in Thai, this is the most important I guess

You can NOT learn a new programming langage if you have to deal with an intermediate langage (english) to achieve this goal, programming is complex enough, you need 100 percent of your brain, that's it.
I experienced that very recently, and it was a big lesson for my ego. Even if speak, write (docs and tech articles) in English, I realized how more simple it was to start learning a new programming language in French (at least for the fundamentals)

- Print some documentation
It reduce visual fatigue, and I am sure that the brain is more efficient reading a piece of paper than a screen.

- Try have a small, reasonable goal to start, I something very very very simple (Hello world)
Having something finished is why I wake up everyday and code, big source of satisfaction

So it is better to have something stupid but working rather than a very ambitious project but unfinished.

- Don't start with magic tools (avoid bootstrap), use a very simple text editor (sublime text is great)

- Go online first
Big source of satisfaction to have something online

- Ask him to make a website (or script) related to something he likes
I started programming with a website about Bob Marley when I was 13 ;-)

- Join an online Thai community of programmers

- motivation, motivation, motivation.
Show him :
- beautiful things you've done
- how cool you work is
- how you enjoy your job every day
- that it's can be a bbit painfull, but satisfaction if awesome when it is working

- the good salary you can have (okay sounds like stupid but again, good motivation = great results)

I am not sure html is a good start:
- have to deal with 3 langages (html, css, javascript)
- all articles will always present you something incredible but with a bunch of html5, javascript, jquery, css, a bit of bootstrap
- Okay html is simple, but is Css a really simple thing for a beginner ?
- <deleted> browsers compatibility, different outputs can give a serious headache to a beginner

If your guy is really motivated, why not consider starting with a simple script langage like Python
1 langage, 1 documentation,
Python can be a good start because :
- You can use python to build either softwares, scripts, or websites, isn't that great ?
- recommended by many to start programming

Cheers,
Florian

If he wants to learn to code, get him to code properly. Not to do the web front end stuff. Really, the job market for HTML/CSS/JavaScript personnel is very competitive and pays cashew nuts.

Go for C, C++, Java, Python, PERL, even SQL (not really a programming language).

Oxx, you are right about the salary, and learning code with frontend stuff may not produce the best "pure" programmer, but theses days this it what is asked in bangkok.
However I would really not advise a complete beginner to start coding with java, c, c++ without a qualified teacher.
Depending on how old is the guy, I suggest starting with something more simple, like Python or Php.

Go Java, that's what many Android smartphone/tablet apps are based on.

Whatever language you go for, good luck in getting a Thai to understand variables, functions, arrays etc most simply don't have this understanding.

Edited by Rorri

I am a bit late on this thread.

Just supporting:

to learn programming use a high level script language like alreade mentioned "Python".

"Ruby" which I used many years is not that widespread but also a good choice.

For both languages there are online interactive sites to do simple exercises without any installation.

Throwing a "kid" to cryptic stuff like HTML, CSS etc. will soon spoil him.

Unfortunately I can not help with Thai language sources as there is zero programming experience within the Thai family.