Referendum logistics

AjarnMartin

I and my wife live in Bang Khae where I work as an English teacher. Her Pu Yai Baan back in Phetchabun has told her she must go home to her village to cast a vote in the above on Sunday, 7th August.

I have asked several people, both students and staff if this is true and I'm getting conflicting reports.

Clearly I don't want to drive my wife back home just for this but I can also see that everybody's views are important. However, I also can't believe there's going to be a mass exodus of everybody to their home towns and wonder if there is a local, Bangkok facility for citizens to show, for example, their ID in order to register their vote in Bangkok.

I've searched the TV Forums and Thai press but can find no practical information so would be grateful to get valid information on this issue or a pointer in the direction of, perhaps, an official helpline on the subject.

Thank you so much,

Aj Martin

Edited by AjarnMartin

She could have registered to vote whilst away from home, no idea how and I'm sure that the time has now passed. The only reason I know is that Radio Thailand News had a brief piece on it saying that the government was "disappointed" with the number who had registered. Evidently the publicity was somewhat lacking and it's not just your lady who will miss out :(

Voting is not compulsory here, so if she doesn't want to trek home there's no penalty.

An application to vote away from a persons registered address could of been done online or at the Amphoe where they were currently residing. The final day for doing it online was June 30th and at a Amphoe it was July 7th.

Thanks Crossy and Joe for your helpful responses. Much appreciated.

I shall refrain from further comment lest it should be construed as inflammatory to those concerned.

As always I can rely on TV stalwarts to come up with the information.

Aj Martin