My Minix x8-H just dies, need advice for a new box

touch

NVidia Shield.

What remote do you use with ur shield?

I've got one of those cheap air mouse remotes which works fine, except the back button.....so I have to use 2 remotes to navigate, or use the game pad, which I'm not keen on.

Seems the shield key mapping isn't standard android for the back button

Same issue?

But who bothers with Netflix when he has a Android box with Kodi installed.

People who like to watch buffer free TV

Netflix is about movies and tv shows, I watch each and every movie and tv show in 1080p if available without a second of buffer.

My download speed is approx 5Mb to overseas servers ( UK - US) and I have tested it with 3 boxes on the same network streaming a full HD movie simultaneous without buffer.

What is more, I stream movies today which Netfilx MAYBE will have available in 6 - 9 months, and it's free.

OK tried Adrian sports again. Didn't work. It still says corrupted file structure

Try installing through the Noobsand Nerds community portal. Use the back up option.

Thanks, that worked.

I'm having the same problem with Mucky Duck/Movieflix and that's not possible to install from N&N

On 7/28/2016 at 8:40 AM, jonw8uk said:

What remote do you use with ur shield?

I've got one of those cheap air mouse remotes which works fine, except the back button.....so I have to use 2 remotes to navigate, or use the game pad, which I'm not keen on.

Seems the shield key mapping isn't standard android for the back button

Same issue?

Maybe this will help you?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/883965/remap-shield-android-tv-remote-buttons-using-xposed-additions-updated-/

• 4 months later...

Hmmm.  Interesting thread seeing as I'm about (I think) to pull the trigger on one of these.  It was going to be a U1 but it's interesting to see the comments about Thai Expat TV not playing well with it, if that's the case I'll go for a Neo 8.  I might go for a Shield in the future (I see Thai Nexus Man) is awaiting stock of the 16GB with a remote for 10,900 but that's more than I want to pay for a box ATM given I have Apple TV too which will handle the Netflix HD that Android boxes can't do.

The Shield sounds great but I saw some reviews rate it better as a gaming device first, streaming, so so.  If Thai Expat TV (or similar services - but I like the idea of the 7 day catch up on Thai Xpat) doesn't play well on the U1 (still) I'm not sure it'd work on Android TV. If it did, it'd be great.  Give me chance to ditch the Apple TV for one box.  

For local media I use Plex and don't do Airplay so my need for an Apple TV would be zero outside Netflix HD.  Used to be good for Sky News but now the Watch Live doesn't work.

I don't have any experience with Thai Expat TV, sorry, but apart from that I'll have to say that I'm satisfied with the U1.

There are a lot of Android Apps (not available on Windows) that have really good Live streaming.

Thanks.  Yah it's Thai Expat that appeals though.  I can watch the shows whenever I want over the 7 day catch up rather than have to stay up until 3am to watch a live UK broadcast.  Netflix works for me, esp at just 350 b pm.  Useful for when I do short trips to Malaysia, just picks up my service credentials with my Malaysia data mobile / ISP, no need to carry devices around unless I want to.

Thanks.  Yah it's Thai Expat that appeals though.  I can watch the shows whenever I want over the 7 day catch up rather than have to stay up until 3am to watch a live UK broadcast.  Netflix works for me, esp at just 350 b pm.  Useful for when I do short trips to Malaysia, just picks up my service credentials with my Malaysia data mobile / ISP, no need to carry devices around unless I want to.

I commented on the U1 Thaiexpat buffer freeze issue. I swapped over boxes between my 2 properties and when I used the U1 on 50/3 True the problem wasn't noticeable and the X8 H Plus coped better than the U1 did on 10/1 TOT Winet.

The U1 is a better box and being Lollipop will go further with Kodi updates, hope that makes things clearer. Must add, The X8 will probably never be updated from KitKat - a lot of whinging on the MINIX forum.

5 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I am quite happy with my Mi box, runs Android 6.0 and has Netflix pre-installed.

Got it for 78$ via Aliexpress when they had black Friday sales, no import duties paid.

No buffering when steaming 1080 via Kodi on my 50mbps True.

Yeah, but I think no ethernet connection right?

5 hours ago, Linesy said:

I commented on the U1 Thaiexpat buffer freeze issue. I swapped over boxes between my 2 properties and when I used the U1 on 50/3 True the problem wasn't noticeable and the X8 H Plus coped better than the U1 did on 10/1 TOT Winet.

The U1 is a better box and being Lollipop will go further with Kodi updates, hope that makes things clearer. Must add, The X8 will probably never be updated from KitKat - a lot of whinging on the MINIX forum.

Yah, cheers.  I read about the buffering.  As the thread was already 5-6 months old I wondered if it had been fixed from by a software update.  I'll be using AIS 100/10 so I'm guessing / hoping it should be OK on that. I'd likely go with a Shield for choice but I don't want to drop £200 on one of these only to find I can't stand it or barely use it.  I may even just wait and have a play around with the AIS Playbox first.  Of the Minix boxes I think I'd go with the U1.

4 hours ago, Chicog said:

Yes I know about that.  Less convenient though. Just seems odd that they've chopped the feed from iOS ad TV OS app but kept it up via the internet.  Unless they didn't chop the apps and the API is merely broken (somehow I doubt that) or if they just haven't got round to sorting some geo location for You Tube that, once they do, will say "Sorry - content not available in your location". 

Edited by SooKee