Buying packs of Platu fish in or near City

westbounder

they sell them at night at Muang Mai (right out in front on the street - river side of the road). the woman brings hundreds each night. we used to buy them for our cats but we worried about the salt and gave it up years ago - much to the disappointment of our cats. sad.png

Some of the markets have grilled fished that they sell as "Plamaew" ปลาแมว By that they mean "fish for cats" Not catfish, as in the breed of fish known by that name. (That's Pladuk in Thai.) I know Thai people who buy these small, bony grilled fish for their cats, pound them into a paste in the Thai mortar and pestle, mix them with leftover rice and use as cat food. Doesn't seem to be any salt or any seasoning for that matter in Plamaew.

I tried this once for our Prince and Princess and they walked around the kitchen counter, watching with interest as I prepared the concoction, then looked in amazement as I put it in their food bowls. They thought I was making something for our dinner. A couple little bites and they walked away. No thanks, bring back the prepared stuff in the little pouches, imported from Japan, please.

ปลา แมว

Suggest starve the cats for 3 days then offer the prepared dish. They will learn to love it.

Yeah right and live with them in a 90 sq. meter condo the entire time. Actually, just easier to rip open a package of cat food and plop it into their food bowl than prepare a cat meal, Thai style. The higher cost isn't going to break us. I thought they might like it as a "change of pace". Cats aren't known for their flexibility, of course. Now if I'd opened a can of tuna fish intended for people and put that into their dish, straight, without rice, I think that would have been a hit.