Time served, $44K restitution for airplane yoga arrest

webfact

Time served, $44K restitution for airplane yoga arrest
JENNIFER SINCO KELLEHER, Associated Press

HONOLULU (AP) — A Korean tourist who was arrested after he became violent when he wasn't allowed to do yoga on a plane leaving Hawaii won't get additional jail time. But he must pay United Airlines more than $44,000.

A federal judge in Honolulu on Thursday sentenced Hyongtae Pae to time served, which was about 13 days. He'll be under court supervision for three years, which is the amount of time he has to pay the restitution.

Pae and his wife were celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary with a Hawaii vacation and the couple was headed home when he was arrested.

According to court records, Pae didn't want to sit in his seat during the meal service on the March flight from Honolulu to Tokyo, so he went to the back of the plane to do yoga and meditate. Authorities say he refused to return to his seat, threatened crew members and passengers and shoved his wife. The pilot turned the plane around and returned to Honolulu. Pae told authorities after his arrest that he hadn't slept in 11 days.

Court records say he threatened to kill passengers and was yelling that there is no god. Pae went into a rage because he felt the flight crew was ordering him around, prosecutors said.

He pleaded guilty in April to interfering with a flight crew and was allowed to return home to South Korea, even though prosecutors warned he might not return for his sentencing.

U.S. District Judge Helen Gillmor said she agrees with prosecutors that Pae's actions constituted a violent felony. Because of that, it's possible he may never be allowed to return to the United States. That's fine by Pae, who is in his 70s and doesn't intend to travel to the United States in the future, said his defense attorney, Jin Tae "J.T." Kim.

"I think your client is getting off very easy" with the $44,235 restitution amount considering the costs of turning the plane around, including jet fuel and all the passengers who had to return to Honolulu, Gillmor said.

"I take this very seriously and I have a great deal of concern about this behavior," she said.

It was a traumatic experience for the passengers and the flight crew, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Jill Otake, adding that it's fortunate there were Marines on board who helped restrain him.

Pae tried to bite and head-butt the two Marines, prosecutors said.

Gillmor said Pae may return to home to Korea, but before he leaves must meet with a probation officer to work out restitution payments.

Pae declined to speak in court. "He didn't say it but he does apologize for what happened," Kim said outside of court. "This is a truly isolated incident." Kim noted that Pae flew to Korea and back without incident.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-07-29

One rule for the passengers but another for the crew: eg, the SouthWest pilot , actually flying the plane, goes berserk and runs down the aisle screaming " Al Qaeda, Iraq, we're going down, we are not going to make it to Denver". Of course the airlines try to keep it very quiet but with cell phones it's now impossible.

Meanwhile you attempt Yoga or to read an algebra paper and the concentration camp guard-like FAs will have you kicked off the plane. Happens all the time .

One rule for the passengers but another for the crew: eg, the SouthWest pilot , actually flying the plane, goes berserk and runs down the aisle screaming " Al Qaeda, Iraq, we're going down, we are not going to make it to Denver". Of course the airlines try to keep it very quiet but with cell phones it's now impossible.

Meanwhile you attempt Yoga or to read an algebra paper and the concentration camp guard-like FAs will have you kicked off the plane. Happens all the time .

For a novelty try reading the article, the guy assaulted passengers.

The pilot did not.

The pilot suffered from a mental condition and the yogi did not.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

The pilot suffered from a mental condition and the yogi did not.

Which would you choose for your flight, pilot with mental condition or shouting passenger wanting to do yoga?

Loaded question ;-)

I choose option 3 which is neither.

I think its a safe bet I speak for the majority of airline passengers and crew on this one.

I was once a flight with a group of Islamic Imams who had been to a convention in Phoenix, AZ. Not long before the flight was scheduled to leave, one of them got up, took his prayer mat out of the overhead bin, rolled it out on the aisle and proceeded to start his prayers. I had lived in the Middle East, so I knew what he was doing, but the plane went dead silent. The flight crew looked petrified. He finished, rolled up his mat and sat down.

It was quietest flight I have ever been on. I don't think anyone ever said a word until we had landed.

As for this guy, he really has been quite lucky. I suggest for his next trip, he takes a cruise.

Having received a 'handsome' out of court settlement from United following the way I was treated during an asthma attack on a United flight, I have no expectation that the flight attendants knew anything about how to deal with any 'passenger situation' other than to resort to reciting the air act and strong arming. It is, unquestionably the worst airline I've ever flown with.

I was once a flight with a group of Islamic Imams who had been to a convention in Phoenix, AZ. Not long before the flight was scheduled to leave, one of them got up, took his prayer mat out of the overhead bin, rolled it out on the aisle and proceeded to start his prayers. I had lived in the Middle East, so I knew what he was doing, but the plane went dead silent. The flight crew looked petrified. He finished, rolled up his mat and sat down.

It was quietest flight I have ever been on. I don't think anyone ever said a word until we had landed.

As for this guy, he really has been quite lucky. I suggest for his next trip, he takes a cruise.

I flew Qatar DOH-LAX-DOH recently and on the safety card it tells passengers to pray in their seat.

Having received a 'handsome' out of court settlement from United following the way I was treated during an asthma attack on a United flight, I have no expectation that the flight attendants knew anything about how to deal with any 'passenger situation' other than to resort to reciting the air act and strong arming. It is, unquestionably the worst airline I've ever flown with.

And then there are other occasions like the one here with yoga-man where the crew handled the situation perfectly and a big hats off to the two marines for their help.

As any good Muslim knows, you are supposed to face Mecca when praying. On a plane moving at a few hundred miles an hour, he would have had no way of knowing where Mecca was in relation to him.

I wonder whether someone was having a laugh.

As any good Muslim knows, you are supposed to face Mecca when praying. On a plane moving at a few hundred miles an hour, he would have had no way of knowing where Mecca was in relation to him.

No, the airplane was still on the ground. It was before the flight started.

When I last flew in May, the digital screen in my seat had a compass and the direction of Mecca marked the entire flight.

He probably just looked at the screen.

Edited by MissAndry

He'll be under court supervision for three years, which is the amount of time he has to pay the restitution.

If he's a Korean tourist and he's returning to Korea and possibly banned from re-entering the US, how is he being kept under Hawaiian court supervision for 3 years?

In his 70s!

Just as well he wasn't younger, only two Marines where available.

i would rather have a Marine on my aircraft than someone like you.

Just saying.

Stick to flying United and at least half of your preference will be guaranteed.

Which would you choose for your flight, pilot with mental condition or shouting passenger wanting to do yoga?

Neither, as both were wackos. When you are on an airline flight, you comply with what the crew says. It's the law. It's that simple. If you don't like it, lobby to change the laws. Of course, you can complain about how the crew handled it. But it sounds to me like the crew acted perfectly appropriate. In the rear of almost all airliners there is a galley. Someone doing yoga there would clearly interfere with the flight crew's duties. And becoming violent is never a good solution on an airplane, unless of course you are subduing someone who has it coming.

Edited by MajarTheLion

That's interesting. As I understand it, Muslims are required to pray five times daily. When I read your initial post, it seemed a bit strange. However, the sight of several Imams, presumably many in traditional garb, would have left me thinking there was some sort of gather in town. Not much to worry about there. It seems to me it would have been much more practical to pray prior to getting on the plane, thus probably raising additional eyebrows.

That's interesting. As I understand it, Muslims are required to pray five times daily. When I read your initial post, it seemed a bit strange. However, the sight of several Imams, presumably many in traditional garb, would have left me thinking there was some sort of gather in town. Not much to worry about there. It seems to me it would have been much more practical to pray prior to getting on the plane, thus probably raising additional eyebrows.

I was once of an Olympic Air flight landing at Heraklion airport in a thunder storm. Sitting in the exit row I was faced by the air crew strapped in for landing frantically crossing herself and praying.

Believe me, that was a lot more troubling than a couple of Muslims praying before take off.

I was once of an Olympic Air flight landing at Heraklion airport in a thunder storm. Sitting in the exit row I was faced by the air crew strapped in for landing frantically crossing herself and praying.

Believe me, that was a lot more troubling than a couple of Muslims praying before take off.

I'm sure it was. I was an airline pilot for six years. The worst scenario I had was trying to land in a thunderstorm, getting rocked so hard even the captain and I were afraid of structural failure. We had slowly gotten boxed into it on the radar screen and diverted. When we landed, we were told there were people puking in the aisles. I had several passengers tell me it was the worst ride they had ever experienced.

How this topic went from a 70 yearold Korean yogi to Muslims praying beats me.

Violence of any sort, especially in confined spaces , as on aircraft, can never be condoned, regardless of age, race or religion.

The guy was out of order, and deserves his punishment. - as light as it is.