Are security guards needed for moobans?

We are looking at moving to a Mooban in the Sukhumvit sois near Onnut. Some don't have a security guard and my wife wasn't sure how safe that would be or not. Anyone have experiences ? The ones without security are obviously a decent bit cheaper

first of all if there's no security guards as its been pointed out NO SERVICES,that means no cleaners,any tom,dick,or somchoi can walk in unchallenged.

i live on a mooban of 50house's,no cleaners means,rubbish,dog shit,blocked drains,overgrown gardens,no maintinence ect.

if you want to live like that then go ahead,otherwise look to a mooban thats one of many built by a decent owner who offer's a community charge.

Just to add to the above see if you can locate a Moo Baan rules book & try and find out in they are actually enforced. Can ruin your location with constantly barking dogs, roaming dogs defecating, loud music until the early hours etc etc

Lived in condos and moo baans rules are never really enforced- dogs and music are the main problems of course. Complain and they will never talk to you again and be highly offended. At least if you rent you can move, people on out moo baan who bought (like us sad.png ) have had to moved due to excessive music noise next door, they can't sell after two years.

Lived in condos and moo baans rules are never really enforced....

Some buildings and villages do enforce the rules. It all depends on how motivated co-owners are to have the rules obeyed, and farangs seem to be keener and more vocal on this.

So I would say that if you want the rules to be enforced you should look for a predominantly farang ownership. Of course this is no guarantee.

Guards in moo baans look after access roads but not the perimeters fences which are the favoured points of ingress.

In my moo baahn they make their rounds on a bycicle too riding around the village. So i guess it depends where you live

I live/rent in a gated community with guards and a RFID card to open the gate. A yearly fee for maintenance. A guard comes around every two hours and checks in at a box in front of my house. The streets are swept and cleaned, trees and shrubs trimmed, garbage picked up twice a week, a water delivery truck comes around twice a week, no vendors are allowed in the gates, Non residents have to register when they come in, there are cctv cameras at the gates and all main intersections. Mostly quiet with middle to upper class residents. Many farangs. Best place I have ever lived. Find the manager's office of the moo baan you are considering and ask questions about the above referenced items.

no guards probably means nobody pays service charge and no services. I would not consider without myself as they are better than nothing and at least know who comes and goes.

Excellent point about the non-pays. I wouldn't consider going to a mooban w/o security. As you say, better than nothing and you know who's entered.

I really wouldn't even consider living in a moo ban without security guards. If it's a well run moo ban, then you need all the vital services and security which the presence of the guards would indicate are provided.

no guards probably means nobody pays service charge and no services. I would not consider without myself as they are better than nothing and at least know who comes and goes.

apart from opening the barriers there pretty useless

I really wouldn't even consider living in a moo ban without security guards. If it's a well run moo ban, then you need all the vital services and security which the presence of the guards would indicate are provided.

fully agree! nobody entering without handing over ID, vehicle license number, time of entry and leaving recorded and on video tape.

people who think "useless" have no idea.

apart from opening the barriers there pretty useless

can be even worse than useless. my mate was in one gated community but the security guard could not be bothered opening and closing the gate for incoming and out going cars so he just left it open his whole shift. one western owner wen to give him a telling off and the guard stabbed him. like many people say it is a good sign if there is security however.

Lived in condos and moo baans rules are never really enforced....

Some buildings and villages do enforce the rules. It all depends on how motivated co-owners are to have the rules obeyed, and farangs seem to be keener and more vocal on this.

So I would say that if you want the rules to be enforced you should look for a predominantly farang ownership. Of course this is no guarantee.

we bought in Udon Thani about 8 yrs ago.Bran new houses and guards.Paid 300bt/mth and all look good.Gradually things deteriorated and culprit found to be lady responsible putting money in pocket so no guards or cleaners got paid !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Local Amphor now taken over and we have no more payments as lady got the sack, and we have free cleaners back but no guards.Have had no problems so far.Guards were usually asleep in their little box anyway.About 50/50 Farang residents,very little dog problems,and certainly no neighbour problems.Perhaps I'm just lucky.

Edited by biplanebluey

Guards in moo baans look after access roads but not the perimeters fences which are the favoured points of ingress.

in our moo baan security guards patrol the perimeter at night.

How? Walking up on the perimeter walls? The other side of the wall is no longer in the moo baan.

On 7/30/2016 at 1:44 PM, trogers said:

How? Walking up on the perimeter walls? The other side of the wall is no longer in the moo baan.

instead of making (not exactly) intelligent comments you should look up the definition of perimeter.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

...and ends with the surrounding wall.

Access roads do not run parallel to the perimeter (surrounding) wall. Over 80% of this wall are abutting the land area of sales units which security guards have no access.

This is where most burglars ingress to carry out their trade.

3 hours ago, trogers said:

Access roads do not run parallel to the perimeter (surrounding) wall. Over 80% of this wall are abutting the land area of sales units which security guards have no access.

This is where most burglars ingress to carry out their trade.

there are moo baans and there are moo baans. where i live since inception (17/18 years) no burglary or any other crime. logic dictates that a moo baan with security guards is safer than one without. period!

Edited by Naam

That's not a logical inference. Look into the immediate areas outside the surrounding perimeter wall of the moo baan.

Should they also be secured moo baans, yours received a blessing. Should there be a slum, yours would not be crime free even with guards...

On Sunday, August 07, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Naam said:

there are moo baans and there are moo baans. where i live since inception (17/18 years) no burglary or any other crime. logic dictates that a moo baan with security guards is safer than one without. period!

You've lived in a moo baan for 17 yrs without any crime, you must be very lucky. Obviously not in Siam Royal View.

Edited by Seizetheday

15 minutes ago, Seizetheday said:

You've lived in a moo baan for 17 yrs without any crime, you must be very lucky. Obviously not in Siam Royal View.

i know Siam Royal View, it's an ElDorado for burglars because all homes are walled. burglar gets across the wall and is out of sight. even a full company of patrolling guards won't add security.

On 8/7/2016 at 9:18 PM, Naam said:

Perhaps Germanic logic but here in Thailand there is another factor involved - and that is security guards themselves.  Your moo ban may be an exception (with all the high rollers) but in normal developments here the low paid security guards were and are the weak link and the source/protector of most crime - they have the local knowledge and use it.  Our village got rid of them more than 30 years ago and crime immediately dropped; and has stayed low - although video is a recent addition and probably also a positive factor.    

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps Germanic logic but here in Thailand there is another factor involved - and that is security guards themselves.  Your moo ban may be an exception (with all the high rollers) but in normal developments here the low paid security guards were and are the weak link and the source/protector of most crime - they have the local knowledge and use it.  Our village got rid of them more than 30 years ago and crime immediately dropped; and has stayed low - although video is a recent addition and probably also a positive factor.    

i don't care what logic is involved or applied. i stated a few facts which i consider important. the fact that your village management hired criminals as guards is not a valid reason to generalise. as i said... "there are moo baans and there are moo baans."

p.s. "crime dropped and stayed low" means you have crime. i rest my case.