Pai To Mae Hong Son

Potter

Went on the road from Pai to Mae Hong Son last year. It had been damaged from the heavy rainfalls last year. How is the condition of the road? No problem with a chobber? Has it been renovated since then?

Potter

Just did it on our Honda Steed 400 and it was fine. No big problems anywhere on the Loop... some minor construction here and there, but that's about it.

Good time to go see the flowers. They are in full bloom now.

• 2 weeks later...
Just did it on our Honda Steed 400 and it was fine. No big problems anywhere on the Loop... some minor construction here and there, but that's about it.

Good time to go see the flowers. They are in full bloom now.

Will there be any problem with 1300cc sportbike? Thanks

ETA 14 December 2006

Razino, did the loop three weeks back on an Africa Twin. Just a couple of places where the bridges were damaged last year that have not been paved yet. Just watch for loose sand. Quite a bit of the road from Pai has been widened and is smooth. The old hardtop comes back into play after the bus stop at the ridgeline before heading down towards Mae Hong Song. We took a shortcut at Khun Yuam and came back into Chiang Mai that way. The best wild Mexican sunflowers are along a road that tees off to the left (north) 12 km east of Khun Yuam.

• 4 weeks later...
Razino, did the loop three weeks back on an Africa Twin. Just a couple of places where the bridges were damaged last year that have not been paved yet. Just watch for loose sand. Quite a bit of the road from Pai has been widened and is smooth. The old hardtop comes back into play after the bus stop at the ridgeline before heading down towards Mae Hong Song. We took a shortcut at Khun Yuam and came back into Chiang Mai that way. The best wild Mexican sunflowers are along a road that tees off to the left (north) 12 km east of Khun Yuam.

Almost did the loop 2 weeks ago. No problem at all. Mae Teang-Pai-MHS-Khun Yuan-Mae Sariang and wondered off to Mae Sot-Umphang-Mae Sot-Tak :o

The best IMHO is Mae Sot-Umphang and the most adventuroeus is Mae Sariang - Mae Sot.

The short cut from Khun Yuam to Chiang Mai, is it accesible with sportbike? Thanks

post-19719-1167483997_thumb.jpg

Any place in CM where one can hire a Twin? Further to that, any place in the country where they can be bought from somewhere semi-reputable?

Cheers

Any place in CM where one can hire a Twin? Further to that, any place in the country where they can be bought from somewhere semi-reputable?

Cheers

I know of three AT's in Chiang Mai but think they are all privately owned. I did see one parked next to the many rental bikes along Mun Muang Road the other day but can't be sure if it's a rental or not. I bought mine in Phuket. You might try surfing the big bike want ads here in thailand. www.thaisuperbike.com for one. There are others. "Semi-reputable", is that like being a little bit pregnant? :o Good luck.

Razino,

Nice bike. I recommend the Chiang Rai -> Nan run when you get a chance.

You haven't ridden in Thailand until you've taken this run. Perfect for a big bike. Narrow, uncrowded winding roads waiting to be carved. Absolutely awesome, unspoiled scenery at nearly every turn, quickly alternating up and down rolling hills and narrow valleys (starting about Chiang Kahm area or so). It's a day trip, but a FULL day at that. Make sure you stop for gas when you see it and always keep at least a half a tank on hand! It'll be mostly the old-style hand-pump stations in the villages, so watch for them.

CR -> 1020 to Thoeng -> 1021 to Chiang Kahm -> south on 1092 until (and here's where the best part begins) you see a sign for 1148 to Sohng Khwae -> then from Sohng Khwae go straight (switches to 1097) to Chiang Klang -> then 1080 south to Pua; from here (if you have time, and since you have adequate power) I recommend taking 1256, the road leading to Doi Phu Ka National Park (only a few minutes from there) and carve your way up Doi Phu Ka to the top for the views. Stunning.

After that, you can either head back down and follow the signs south to Nan, or proceed thru the park until you reach 1081. Then go right (south) and veer right until you reach 1169. Then south to Nan.

There are some quiet guesthouses off of Prem Pracharat Rd but a few more in town, so just look for the signs. Same modest prices as you would expect elsewhere in the north. While you're in town, check out Nan National Museum for a look at some authentic northern antiquities, and Wat Phumin, which is a rare, Hindu-influenced (name derived from 'Brahmin') and meticulously renovated temple built in 1596 of a four-sided Buddha. Quite unique in Thailand. Both are not to be missed.

Of all the scenery I've witnessed in the north, this trip topped them all. I recommend going in either the cool season or early on in the rainy season (that is, early June to early July) when it doesn't rain hardly at all yet but the air is crystal clear.

Enjoy.

... It's a day trip, but a FULL day at that...

Actually, I meant to say that it's an 'all-day' ride, not a 'day trip' obviously, since you have to overnight in Nan.

Also, any others attempting this ride pay close attention to the amber/orange-colored signs that say "Sharp Curve". There are at least 3 serious, near 180-degree 'hair-pin' turns to negotiate coming down to the bottom of some of the hills, so they are easy to overshoot if you don't watch your speed heading into them. Not all are hair-pins, but not being aware that there are some serious ones could ruin your day.......

Cheers

I know of three AT's in Chiang Mai but think they are all privately owned. I did see one parked next to the many rental bikes along Mun Muang Road the other day but can't be sure if it's a rental or not. I bought mine in Phuket. You might try surfing the big bike want ads here in thailand. www.thaisuperbike.com for one. There are others. "Semi-reputable", is that like being a little bit pregnant? :o Good luck.

Cheers. What did you pay for yours?