How To Find A Teaching Job In Thailand

Loaded

I remember coming to Thailand many moons ago and apart from the Bangkok Post I didn't know where to look for work. Now there's the internet with many developed websites that can supply information about specific jobs or contacts for schools.

Some teachers feel that the advertised positions on Ajarn are all there is. This is very far from the truth as my experience has shown me that the vast majority of jobs are never advertised. Schools rely on walk-ins, agencies, friends of their own teachers, or teachers contacting them directly.

Loaded's advised steps to finding work:

1. Google the town where you want to work and get the addresses of schools, colleges, unis and language schools.

2. Go directly to the school, walk through the gate, ask for the English Department, find an English speaking THAI and explain to them who you are, and why you are there.

3. Don't leave without giving your CV to someone you feel has some direct input into teacher recruitment at that school. make sure your CV has a mobile phone contact number printed near the top of page 1.

4. Try to get that person's mobile phone number or email address (phoning admin. or emailing the school's contact email will guarantee you contact someone who doesn't understand you - pointless).

5. Follow up every week as jobs are often offered to whoever is around at the time they need a teacher.

6. Most important - wear clean professional clothes and smell of soap and shampoo. Men should ideally wear a long-sleeved white shirt, dark tie, black trousers and shiny black shoes. Thais think farang don't wash enough so make sure there's no hint of B.O. or cigarettes. Make sure your hair is short and neat and your face clean shaven.

7. Speak softly, smile a lot, listen then speak and don't come across as 'difficult'.

'6.Most important - wear clean professional clothes and smell of soap and shampoo. Men should ideally wear a long-sleeved white shirt, dark tie, black trousers and shiny black shoes. Thais think farang don't wash enough so make sure there's no hint of B.O. or cigarettes. Make sure your hair is short and neat and your face clean shaven.'

If i turned up with long-ish hair(not down to my shoulders but not exactly short either,although it is tidy) and a short trimmed beard would this have a bad effect? I'm assuming Thais think beard + long hair = backpacker ??

'6.Most important - wear clean professional clothes and smell of soap and shampoo. Men should ideally wear a long-sleeved white shirt, dark tie, black trousers and shiny black shoes. Thais think farang don't wash enough so make sure there's no hint of B.O. or cigarettes. Make sure your hair is short and neat and your face clean shaven.'

If i turned up with long-ish hair(not down to my shoulders but not exactly short either,although it is tidy) and a short trimmed beard would this have a bad effect? I'm assuming Thais think beard + long hair = backpacker ??

Beard is not bad but if it looks like stubble it could be. Tidy longish hair is OK if it looks clean.

Thais, I believe, assess whether someone is a backpacker more by their clothes and behaviour.

• 2 weeks later...
Thais, I believe, assess whether someone is a backpacker more by their clothes and behaviour.

Interesting. I would have thought more by his clothes and behaviour. But then I am a non-native non-English non-speaker. Sorry about intruding thanks to a couple of Gin-Tonics. Will never happen again.

'6.Most important - wear clean professional clothes and smell of soap and shampoo. Men should ideally wear a long-sleeved white shirt, dark tie, black trousers and shiny black shoes.

would it be better to wear a suit jacket? or shirt and tie good enough?