Thai Tourism Min foresees growth in tourism sector throughout the year

webfact

Min of Tourism foresees growth in tourism sector throughout the year

kob.jpg

BANGKOK, 3 August 2016 (NNT) - The Ministry of Tourism and Sports has reported healthy growth in the tourism sector during the second quarter, with more growth expected in the third quarter. 

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said Thailand’s tourism sector during the second quarter generated 571 billion baht, an increase of 11.8 percent from the same period last year. Over 7.5 million foreign tourists traveled to the Kingdom during this period, an increase of 8 percent year-on-year. Overseas tourists brought in 362 billion baht in revenue, an increase of 13 percent year-on-year. 

Over 37 million Thais traveled domestically during the second quarter, marking an increase of 3 percent from the same period last year and generating 208 billion baht in revenue. 

The tourism sector during the first seven months of this year generated a total of 1.37 trillion baht in revenue, an increase of 13.95 percent from the same period last year. The number is composed of 972 billion baht from foreign tourists, marking a 16-percent growth, and 424 billion baht from domestic tourists, marking a 9-percent growth from the same period last year.

For the third quarter of this year, Mrs Kobkarn expects a 10-percent increase in revenue to 597 billion baht. Factors supporting this projection include the “12 Can't-Miss Cities” campaign, increases in the number of public holidays, the push for domestic tourism, the opening of new low-cost flights, low oil prices, successful tourism marketing, and investments in tourism in the CLMVT countries.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-03

This is optimism. The 2 day bar shutdown combined with the now prevalent B?? ++ pricing in Bangkok and the fact it is now easy to pay more for a beer in BKK than I pay in a bar in Oz, has me worried. Up country is still O.K. People are still generally pretty good but I suspect Generals should stick to running armies.

6 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Thanks for the update Minister, I for one have missed you and your projections. I await your return at the end of the next quater, to no doubt tell us that your expectations have been exceeded yet again.

Keep up the.good work.

Hilarious Geordie pissed myself laughing. 

I agree. I for one don't know any other country in the world that brags so much about predicted tourism figures. It's the absolute Hub of bullshit !!! 

Edited by ScotBkk

6 hours ago, fish monger said:

She gets paid to say these things........

Still, these things she says reveal the underlying problems, e.g., counting locals moving around as tourists. Has no affect on the national economy like incremental revenues from inbound arrivals do. And one imagines that she counts every car and bike moving like they count every passenger that touches foot on Thai soil as a tourist. To call her and TAT naive is sugar-coating it.

Yes, if you count total arrivals, including the 13 million Chinese tourists, most of whom are known as zero baht tourists, the numbers are impressive. But, that segment that you are focusing on, in order to keep the precious year on year totals up are crippling your industry Kobkarn. Don't you see that? Why are you missing that little detail? Just keep up doing exactly what you are doing. History will record you as the one who started the precipitous decline in tourism revenue (not numbers, do you have any understanding of the difference Ms. Minister?