Warning - Phu Nam Ron Border Crossing

Yours is the first report of them not allowing a crossing without a visa for Myanmar if you have a valid visa for re-entry.

It seems that Myanmar immigration is not doing border passes again. This happened about two years ago and lasted for several months.

Yep that seems to be the case, every report I read not just on this forum but on others suggested that the border was open and accepting crossings for holders of Thai Visa's etc. even up to last week so its seems crazy.  

Like you say it may just be a blip but for me its a border I won't use anymore as it seems to be very inconsistent in how it operates. 

Thanks Joe, Paddy   

I wish these guys would make their mind up once and for all. I suspect this is coming from the Myanmar side due to the additional visa requirement.

They are looking like a joke at this place. It's unreliable. Who makes these decisions and what's changed ?

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

I wish these guys would make their mind up once and for all. I suspect this is coming from the Myanmar side due to the additional visa requirement.

They are looking like a joke at this place. It's unreliable. Who makes these decisions and what's changed ?

On the other hand, could be exactly the effect they're looking for... 

Sorry to hear of your bad luck paddy. A real spanner in the works. Wife used to ask why I always go early by one to three days and as your post illustrates ...... the best laid plans of mice and men ...etc. Car can break down, bus can crash and goalposts can be moved. Always give yourself a breathing space. At Mukdahan right now going for my new multi tomorrow and even though I have everything needed, nothing is ever 100% guaranteed.

• Like 1

Does anyone think this would be the same if flying into myanmar? I've booked a (token) flight to myanmar (from bkk)  to show customs I'm not planing overstaying in thailand this September on a 30 day free visa ,,, would I be required to show a visa for myanmar at bkk customs or would they be happy enough with the outward flight , any suggestions appreciated in advance 

35 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

Does anyone think this would be the same if flying into myanmar? I've booked a (token) flight to myanmar (from bkk)  to show customs I'm not planing overstaying in thailand this September on a 30 day free visa ,,, would I be required to show a visa for myanmar at bkk customs or would they be happy enough with the outward flight , any suggestions appreciated in advance 

Assumptions:

1. By customs, you mean Thai immigration.
  2. You are only using the air ticket as an onward flight out of Thailand to show airline check in and (in the highly unlikely event they ask, Thai immigration. You are not planning to actually use the ticket.

If I am correct in the above, then you have nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Denim said:

Sorry to hear of your bad luck paddy. A real spanner in the works. Wife used to ask why I always go early by one to three days and as your post illustrates ...... the best laid plans of mice and men ...etc. Car can break down, bus can crash and goalposts can be moved. Always give yourself a breathing space. At Mukdahan right now going for my new multi tomorrow and even though I have everything needed, nothing is ever 100% guaranteed.

Thanks Denim, the incredible part of it is that I always do my border runs at least a week in advance or no later than a few days prior to expiry and have never had a problem. I had planned to go on Saturday or Sunday but through an unforeseen set of circumstances couldn't go this time until the last day..... the rest is history - like you say nothing is certain with Thai Immigration. 

I can say the Immigration Police at Phu Nam Ron were very sympathetic to my situation which made me believe this was really something they couldn't help with, a genuine change in procedures up there. 

Just to note, I had to drive from Phu Nam Ron to the Aranyaprathet  border crossing (which took me 6+ hours...) but was pleasantly surprised how quick and easy it was when doing a cross late in the evening. I was finished in 20 minutes, a full day and nearly 1000 kms for 20 minutes.......

20 minutes ago, paddy said:

Thanks Denim, the incredible part of it is that I always do my border runs at least a week in advance or no later than a few days prior to expiry and have never had a problem. I had planned to go on Saturday or Sunday but through an unforeseen set of circumstances couldn't go this time until the last day..... the rest is history - like you say nothing is certain with Thai Immigration. 

I can say the Immigration Police at Phu Nam Ron were very sympathetic to my situation which made me believe this was really something they couldn't help with, a genuine change in procedures up there. 

Just to note, I had to drive from Phu Nam Ron to the Aranyaprathet  border crossing (which took me 6+ hours...) but was pleasantly surprised how quick and easy it was when doing a cross late in the evening. I was finished in 20 minutes, a full day and nearly 1000 kms for 20 minutes.......

Wow ...... Long drive but at least a happy ending !

Nearly had my own disaster today at Thai immigration crossing the bridge into Suvannakhet. I have a new passport (old one full) with my last entry stamp in the old passport. Presented both passports to immigration officer and he asked to see the receipt from the British Embassy to prove the new one isn't a fake !! No have....left it at home as told I would have no problem with both passports. Oh dear says he ....... big problem....should have receipt.

Well......anyway...after going through my passport literally with a magnifying glass he issued an exit stamp saying I should have had the entry stamp transfered in Bangkok. I think he was wrong but was happy to get out of the place with the problem sorted out. Close shave !

12 minutes ago, Denim said:

Nearly had my own disaster today at Thai immigration crossing the bridge into Suvannakhet. I have a new passport (old one full) with my last entry stamp in the old passport.

I went over the bridge to Suvannahket  in June and suffered a similar problem.

Came from the UK to Thailand in May (new passport) went to Suvannakhet in June and they say (Laos side) where is your old passport. WHAT? Why would I carry an old passport with me, I ask. When were you last in Laos..... never been. They grumble them let me through.

21 hours ago, ukrules said:

Well with my recent experience coming through the Myanmar Immigration Border Post at that border - I would expect so.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 2:00 PM, MissAndry said:

I went over the bridge to Suvannahket  in June and suffered a similar problem.

Came from the UK to Thailand in May (new passport) went to Suvannakhet in June and they say (Laos side) where is your old passport. WHAT? Why would I carry an old passport with me, I ask. When were you last in Laos..... never been. They grumble them let me through.

Nearly did it that way myself but wasn't ready to leave in May. Yes......why would you carry an old passport ? Trouble is these days they suspect we are trying to hide something by having a new passport. As an aside, they are so visa happy here that when I renewed I got the bumper version so that even if they fill it with their full page ( for 10 minutes ) visas I should be alright for a bit longer.

• Like 1

I also drove from Bangna to Ban phu nam ron yesterday to do my usual exit/re-enter to satisfy multi entry non immigrant O visa. Was told by the lady that I cannot enter Burma without a visa now, and that the Burmese govt  have changed the rules. The lady advised going to Aranyapratet was a better option. Very inconvenient, as this was a nice easy place to do the exit/re-entry.

Unfortunately for me it was my last day of the 90 days so now I am overstaying (by 1 day). Can anyone tell me if I go to Aranyapret will I have any issues due to overstaying by a day or two? I am tossing up whether to drive to Aranyapratet or fly to Singapore (more expensive).

Any advice appreciated.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, hotchips said:

I also drove from Bangna to Ban phu nam ron yesterday to do my usual exit/re-enter to satisfy multi entry non immigrant O visa. Was told by the lady that I cannot enter Burma without a visa now, and that the Burmese govt  have changed the rules. The lady advised going to Aranyapratet was a better option. Very inconvenient, as this was a nice easy place to do the exit/re-entry.

Unfortunately for me it was my last day of the 90 days so now I am overstaying (by 1 day). Can anyone tell me if I go to Aranyapret will I have any issues due to overstaying by a day or two? I am tossing up whether to drive to Aranyapratet or fly to Singapore (more expensive).

Any advice appreciated.

Reveal hidden contents

• You shouldn't have a problem doing either. If you exit via the major airports they will waive the 1 day overstay fee.
  • If you are the spouse or parent of a Thai you could apply for a 60 day extension at immigration (1,900 baht), on Monday, and probably won't be charged the overstay fee as the office was closed when your current permission to stay expired.
Edited by elviajero

Just now, hotchips said:

Any advice appreciated.

Reveal hidden contents

No problem to do the crossing with only one day of overstay.

When you factor in the cost of the Cambodian visa it really is not all that much more to fly out and back. Check for flights to Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia.

Thanks Elviajero. I am leaning towards the aranyapratet option. I tried to get a 60 day extension early on in my time here, but the people at samutprakarn immigration made it very difficult and I gave up and flew to singapore. We were married in Australia and have australian marriage certificate (as well as 2 children, both born in australia) , but this wasn't acceptable for some reason. I can't remember the exact details as it was nearly 2 years ago.

I thought if you miss the last day / overstay by a day etc on Multiple Non Imm O then the visa is void?

Thats why I drove all the way to Cambodia from Phu Nam Ron just in case, would like to know if thats correct, if I had overstayed by a day or two would I have been able to cross at another border and still retain my Non Imm o Multi?

Thanks, Paddy

Thanks Joe. What is the cost of the cambodian visa? As I live about 30 minutes from Suvanabumi, it makes a big difference to fly from there instead of don muang, and air asia only fly out of DM. a quick look shows air asia to KL is around 5500 baht and tiger air to singapore is about 6300. Vietnam is cheaper, but i would need to organise a visa first.

If I go tomorrow i will be 2 days overstay. Will this cause a problem at aranyapratet? Do they have an overstay fine office or window there? Obviously at suvanabumi they have a desk for overstay fines. 

2 minutes ago, paddy said:

I thought if you miss the last day / overstay by a day etc on Multiple Non Imm O then the visa is void?

Thats why I drove all the way to Cambodia from Phu Nam Ron just in case, would like to know if thats correct, if I had overstayed by a day or two would I have been able to cross at another border and still retain my Non Imm o Multi?

Thanks, Paddy

• No the visa is not void if you overstay your permission to stay. 
  • Yes you could exit with an overstay, and as long as you re-enter before the 'enter before' (expiry date) of the visa you'll be granted a new 90 days permit to stay.

I haven't heard that Paddy, and I have overstayed on my non immigrant O visa once before by 3 days. I went to suvanabumi to fly to singapore, had to pay the overstay fine on the way through and that was it. Didn't have any problem re-entering.

12 minutes ago, hotchips said:

Thanks Elviajero. I am leaning towards the aranyapratet option. I tried to get a 60 day extension early on in my time here, but the people at samutprakarn immigration made it very difficult and I gave up and flew to singapore. We were married in Australia and have australian marriage certificate (as well as 2 children, both born in australia) , but this wasn't acceptable for some reason. I can't remember the exact details as it was nearly 2 years ago.

You would need to get your marriage registered in Thailand to be able to get the 60 day extension. Too late this time, but the 60 day extension is a useful option anytime you want to buy some more time. You just need to get your marriage certificate translated/certified then go to the local Amphoe to register the marriage.

1 minute ago, hotchips said:

Cheers Paddy. Was the exit/re-entry straight forward at aranyapretet? Can you tell me what the cost was? I am thinking of doing the trip tomorrow. 

I crossed in about 20 minutes but it was late, around 8.00pm, I paid an agent 2000 THB who handled it all for me, 1,500 THB for Cambodian visa and the rest for him.  I would guess it would be far cheaper for you to cross there then fly,  best of luck, Paddy. 

11 minutes ago, hotchips said:

Thanks Joe. What is the cost of the cambodian visa? As I live about 30 minutes from Suvanabumi, it makes a big difference to fly from there instead of don muang, and air asia only fly out of DM. a quick look shows air asia to KL is around 5500 baht and tiger air to singapore is about 6300. Vietnam is cheaper, but i would need to organise a visa first.

If I go tomorrow i will be 2 days overstay. Will this cause a problem at aranyapratet? Do they have an overstay fine office or window there? Obviously at suvanabumi they have a desk for overstay fines. 

The visa for Cambodia costs $30 or a variable amount in baht.

Two days of overstay will not be a problem.

It costs more for last a minute flight than one purchased in advance. Planned in advance you find tickets for about 2500 baht round trip.

thanks again Joe. Had I have known that ban phu nam ron was no longer an option I would have planned something else. Unfortunately, this is the first time I have done the trip to ban phu nam ron without checking the forum to see if it is all still ok. Just assumed it would be same as last few times i have been there....

I think i will try the cambodian option this time. Although not sure what is more dangerous, driving to Cambodia or flying to singapore. Probably the driving....

1 hour ago, hotchips said:

thanks again Joe. Had I have known that ban phu nam ron was no longer an option I would have planned something else. Unfortunately, this is the first time I have done the trip to ban phu nam ron without checking the forum to see if it is all still ok. Just assumed it would be same as last few times i have been there....

I think i will try the cambodian option this time. Although not sure what is more dangerous, driving to Cambodia or flying to singapore. Probably the driving....

The driving is orders of magnitude more dangerous!